Aoshima's Interceptor "super detail" buildup

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Aoshima's Interceptor "super detail" buildup

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Bought the new third version with the intention of using all the improved,corrected, and special photoetched parts to upgrade my existing ( kit version-1.0) Interceptor build.

Photo of the original Interceptor, circa 2012. (Thanks, Ankle)

Using the previous pic for reference, I started correcting flaws in this Aoshima's 3rd version (aka attempt) of this kit.
It is a vast improvement over the 1st gen interior.

Here you can see, and much to my surprise, the floorpan is surprisingly accurate and well moulded. I only needed to add the brackets on the transmission tunnel from strips of brass for extra realism.

Aoshima had the shin bar on the driver's side going to the floor, and the driver's side crossbar was too high and terminated at the shin bar.
I removed the entire crossbar and added a new one the correct length (going all the way to the footwell) lowered it to a correct height along the rocker panel, with the shin bar terminating on the top, not on the floor.

Also, the "loop" in the passenger footwell area was in the right shape and location, but moulded in fat round tube. I replaced this with a strip of photoetch sprue for a movie correct look.

Also, Also; Aoshima got a little crazy with the holes in the door panel, excising the door handles!! Luckily, they were cast into the stock panels in the 1st version of the kit (that this is/was), so I cut them from those panels and inserted them into these.

The kit provided a strap door handle, but I made this one from paper.
The machete and pouches were included in the kit.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Re: Aoshima's Interceptor "super detail" buildup

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 pm

An old sock, stained with tea for that "nasty dog blanket" look.
Two boxes were included in this "version 3" kit, but I use them on the parcel shelf. All of these are handmade and lettered. The generator is a 1:35 bit, but looks just like a 1:24 portable unit. Some wire "hose" a couple of felt bumper pads cut to shape for a pillow, a dog bowl and the can of Dinki-Di included from the 1st kit.
-* (Ignore the bucket, it gets re-located.) *-

Most of this will never be seen again, being hidden beneath the parcel shelf and storage tray/rack.
But WE know it's there.... ;)

Included from the kit and seen here are the 2 jerry cans and the dog bowl. (which WAS the bucket from the kit but was shaped all wrong. The "proper" bucket you see is from my parts stash.)
Everything else was made and/or added.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:17 pm

An overview before the parcel shelf and passenger side get installed.
The kit is a "curbside" meaning the hood doesn't open.
Even so, I wanted an engine visible through the openings in the hood, so this engine was installed from the parts bin simply as a base for the blower. It is undetailed.

Parcel shelf installed. "Wire mesh" tray is brass photoetched, and included in the kit. The scale chain is extremely nice looking and also included in the "Version 3" kit.
Likewise, the 2 boxes of Dinki-Di are included and come pre-printed and scored, just fold and glue.
The second can of Dinki-Di was from the new kit.
The oil cans are 1:35 military items, with oil-cany looking decals from the parts bin applied.

A better look at the oil-cans and the yellow fire extinguisher, as seen in the film.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:20 pm

One from the rear. (that sounds dirty)
Again, ignore the bucket here.

An overview with the parcel shelf installed, but before the passenger side panel.

Another overhead shot.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:21 pm

The seat included in (all versions of) the kit is wrong.
It is also way too big.
This seat, from a 1969 Mustang, is also wrong but is the correct size and shape. It was the best I could find (so far) in my parts-a-palooza, so I went with it.
Added some "rope" twine and the photoetched boltcutters included in the new kit.

This "Dog's" seat was included in the kit. However, although the interior tub of the seat was/is recreated well,the exterior required extensive sanding and reshaping for the right look. The seat cushion is made from folded dryer clothing-softener sheets. (ie; Bounce) to simulate foam.

I actually installed Dog's seat "upside-down" because it's shape is more accurate that way.
Aged in the drivers seat with a lighter and some cigarette butt for exposed seat-cushion.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Pic of the actual car circa 2012 (Thanks, Ankle)
Note the missing glovebox door.
Also, the "shrunken head" rides lower than this on film.

Stage-1 of the dash build. The glovebox door has been cut away, and an interior built from cardboard.
The additional gauge was/is not film correct, but was on Scott Smith's first MM2 replica, and I liked it and used it here.
It is a "Boost Pressure" gauge for the blower.

Another shot of the dash and the glovebox depth.
(It is hard to see once it's painted black.)
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Glovebox interior has been painted.
Strobelight base installed and hoseclamps (photoetched strips) installed along with the "shrunken head".
I added the hoseclamps, but the head was included in the kit.
I did, however, cut the plastic hair from the head and added my own made from cigarette butt cotton and dyed with rustall.

Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:29 pm

And here it is sitting in place. Once glued in final position, it will rest slightly more foreward.

Sadly, no photo of Jessie & Sprog was included for the wheel, but I tried to give the impression that something is there

Although the headliner was clearly white in Mad Max It is black for MM2.
I made mine from regular printer paper cut to shape, then folded along the "support rod" lines.
I then added glue just along the "support rod" lines and at a few points around the peripheiry and glued it down.
This, along with a bit of rolling the paper, gave it a "drooping" effect.
I then painted it with a brush using a VERY thined paint. the wetness of the paint further added to the wrinkly/droopy quality.
Also, much easier than sanding off the manufacturer's info moulded into the underside of the roof.
Last edited by Interdictor on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:32 pm

A good angle to show the wrinkly effect of the headliner.
Also, I made a small hook from photoetch sprue for the bucket to hang from (now in it's final correct location) and glued it to the headliner.

Another look at the bucket.
The windshield was also removed for headliner installation.
ALSO..not really visable in these pics, but I also "distressed" the shape of the now absent MFP radio into the headliner.

A pic of the shelf in the actual car, circa 2012. (Thanks, Ankle)
(There's that yellow extinguisher again...)
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Final detail on the interior is complete...
Note the spare blower belt and shop rags tucked behind the cage bars, as seen on film.
(Best seen when Gyro is chained in the backseat)
Also, you can (unfortunately) see where I added to the roll-bar.
The one in the kit is too short. :(

Final chain-work in place.
Also, added the brown folded blanket (tissue paper dyed with thinned paint) to the under-shelf storage area to fill it out a bit more.
....And what is that thing on the rollbar?...

Final interior overview
Oh, and that round, white thing on the roll-bar?
It's a dinner plate, wedged between the headliner/roof and the bar.
(Easily seen when Gyro attempts to open the Interceptor's door after forcing Max to disarm the bomb; "Dog" jumps from the car in a POV shot. You can see the plate and the car's black headliner in the background easily.)
I made mine from (appropriately) a circle cut from a paper plate. I used the tip of a pen tube to "dimple" in the center, giving the paper disc a "plate" shape.
Once the interior tub is installed, it looks like it is wedged in place.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Next

Return to Models and Modelling