Mack replicas?

Like the name says...

Mack replicas?

Postby Interdictor » Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:35 am

Why has no-one undertaken one of the most recognisable vehicles from MM2, The Mack? surely a 20 year old Mack can't cost that much anymore, and really, not much modification would be required, finding the proper roo bar & bolting plate steele to it, fabricating the rear wheel guards, and a little spray paint. Anyone know what an old Mack goes for in Oz these days?
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Mack replicas?

Postby Anklecranker » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:50 pm

A Mack Replica holds great interest to me.

A SawMill close to me has a green Mack of similar vintage. Its all dusty and grimey. Gives me chills to see it. Road tractor prices are depressed greatly in the US. Many with "Condos" and 600,000 plus miles are unsellable now. I've seen many '95' s offered for less than $6000.

Daycabs still command a premium. Mack daycabs are very useful to many industries, which makes demand broad.

I'd love to pull up at a gathering of Max fans and let out a long horn blast. Of course my Blue Heeler would be onboard.
Anklecranker

Mack replicas?

Postby PULSE » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:05 pm

Here you go Anklecranker and anyone else that maybe interested. These are listings for Macks I found today. Both seem pretty close (other than being US and L/H drive) ether could make a pretty close copy. I agree with ya it would be great to pull up to a gathering in one of these, especially if you were using it to haul your car and bike replicas. (now we just need to win the lotto or power ball eh?)

[/font]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850775175

http://www.constructionequipmentcompany.com/cec/id39.html[/font]

There is also an old tanker trailer in a pasture near me, & I've been trying to track down the owner. I build/design paintball fields and my thought right now is to build a close full size diorama of the tanker chase in MM2RW. Put a starting box (home base) at each end and some other bunkers/barricades around. And then have short scenario games from one end to the other. For those of you who have never player before, most games are based on capture the flag & tag only with 68cal. paintball markers (guns). One of the field owners I work with has an old quarry/pit we are setting it up in. Like a snap shot in time. Much like David Giovannini's model diorama, just actual size. Of course they cannot (won't) be exact replicas due issues like locating really cheap scrap cars (got to take what you can get) in the US to use [/font](we shoot for free! It's amazing what people will give you if you ask, some even pay you to remove the stuff from there land, just need patience) [/font]. We are slowly acquiring material and vehicles (e.g.. aquired a shot up 73ish F150 last week that should work for the cobra boat windshield truck). We are also fighting with his brother/partner over safety concerns and will have to limit access into and on to the vehicle (Dam him spoiling some of our fun, going through the same thing finishing our missionary/plane crash/tropical island field "with real airplane wreckage and Gilligans island/SS Mino boat!") Should be great if it works out though, just imagine walking down into the quarry and finding the chase vehicles stopped in time and abandoned. If any of you all see any salvage cheap (or free) and in dragging range of San Antonio Texas let me know. Every little scrap/pipe/car helps to speed up the schedule............[/font]

Sorry for rambling..........[/font]
Pulse:

"One of the Texas Twelve"
PULSE

Location: San Antonio, Texas (it's not the wasteland, but you can see it from here)

Mack replicas?

Postby Interdictor » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:43 pm

Pulse, Friends of our family lived in Mesa for several years then moved to San Antonio & opened an (indoor i believe) Paintball field. Do you know any Tarvins? ( a long shot but many commonalities here) can't remember the name of the field.

that Mack on constructionequipment.com looks about perfect! also, look on traderonline.com, many, many old Macks as low as $2500. I would almost consider undertaking this project, a couple of questions though, Ankle, you seem to be pretty knowledgable about old diesels, how hard are parts to come by, and are old trucks like Rolls Royces; you can buy it for $100 but fixing it will cost thousands? also do you have to have a special liscence to drive one (I know you do if it's for business Ie; professional trucking) but for an average person to cruise around in?
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Mack replicas?

Postby PULSE » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:31 pm

Wow we really do have a lot of commonalties in our past. Sorry to say though that I don't know any Tarvins although there are two field owners that I only know by face and maybe first names. However even at that there are no indoor fields here Image(anymore at least, I've only been in SA for the last four years).

Good questions for Ankle. ??? As for my plans though it won't really matter, once it's on spot it won't ever need to move again. Licensed, registered, started or other, that's what makes the plan feasible at all. If I can drag a vehicle onto a trailer and drop it in the quarry, then I can weld some crap to it and use it for the diorama. Engines, drivetrain, even interior are all optional to some extent....

Hey Interdictor? You got insomnia or what? I looked at some of your post times "all over the face of the clock".... Yeeesh you ever sleep? My comp. at home is paws up so I'm stuck keeping up at work (on breaks and lunch only of course "wink wink nudge")...[/font]
Pulse:

"One of the Texas Twelve"
PULSE

Location: San Antonio, Texas (it's not the wasteland, but you can see it from here)

Mack replicas?

Postby Anklecranker » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:16 am

....., how hard are parts to come by, and are old trucks like Rolls Royces; you can buy it for $100 but fixing it will cost thousands? also do you have to have a special liscence to drive one (I know you do if it's for business Ie; professional trucking) but for an average person to cruise around in?

Expensive parts and overproductionhave driven used road tractor prices to rock bottom...no pun intended.lol It is plausible to spend two to three times the sale price to restore (roadworthy) a 20-30 years old beast.

A CDL (Commercial Drivers License ) is required by federal law for any vehicle over 26, 000lbs GVW or one with air brakes, regardless of intention for use.

The critical thing to look for in a used diesel engine is blowby. These blowby gasses are normally pushed out by the rings. When the engine is worn out and trhe rings are bad blowby escapes. To check this let the engine idle, remove the oil filler cap and look for smoke or air being forced out of the hole. Rev the engine. If the air comong out is filled with tiny drops of oil the engine is shot for all intent nd purposes. It may run and sound ok but RUN from this truck. TO repair it will take a fortune! I've been there.

Find a truck that passes the blowby test and if the brake look good, shifts ok, and the price is right, I'd take a chance. $2500 Mack? I'm on it!

The first thing I'd to is spin the twin screws in salute to Max!

Anklecranker

Mack replicas?

Postby Interdictor » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:21 am

Good questions for Ankle 'cause I have considered building a Mack replica to drive around in! (but know NOTHING about heavy trucks) I know Rio is a mechanic, but I don't know her specific field. ANY one with diesel knowledge, please let me know though.

Well, I work at a theatre, so I go in to work at 5pm, and get home around 1 am, then eat, wind down, etc. sometimes I have to get up early to interact with normal humans, sometimes I'm up late, so yeah, I am kind of "all over the clock" ( I usually avoid mornings if I can) also, the computer is right by the door, and is always on, so I usually check it for new posts when I come or go. ( and usually feel compelled to post something) Since I'm fairly new to rural Iowa, I still don't know ANYBODY (not contemporaries that I can hang out with anyway) I spend most all my time on my ass at home, giving me lot's of time to sit at the computer, (yawn) and has driven my # of posts past Anklecrankers! You all are the only friends I have to play with right now!Image
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Mack replicas?

Postby Interdictor » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:35 am

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/5/4/31437854.htm

this truck also looks perfect and only $3000.

Thanks, Ankle. I was posting the above when you posted.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Mack replicas?

Postby Anklecranker » Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:52 am

Interdictor you are a friend! I can't believe we have talked so much but have never met. At the next gathering we will have a beer. I hear the Falcon Club is going to Dearborn next year for Ford's 100th Anniversary. I bet Evn and I'll trek up there, and you?

Thinking of rebuilding trucks I helped a friend of mine rebuild an '89 LTL9000 Ford. Mainly i helped with bodywork and paint. We sent the truck out for frame shortening and Ox body ($15,000). When we finished the receipts were over $35,000 , but this truck has 500hp. He picked up a load of stone from the quarry soon after we finished. NOBODY turns left out of the quarry because of the steep grade, about 45 degrees. He pointed the 9000 left and sailed up the grade in NINTH gear!

Impressive.

Anklecranker

Mack replicas?

Postby Interdictor » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:08 am

I was born outside Detroit ( Rochester / Lake Orion area) and Dearborn is not as far as Carlisle! I would love to meet up with you guys! ( this move has thouroughly screwed up plans and finances as I dearly wanted to make Carlisle this year) Keep me informed, I may talk my father into coming as well ( lucky guy spent his teen years, (early '60's) on Woodward Ave hanging out with guys from Chrysler etc.....ohhhh the envy) He would know his way around Dearborne much better than I. I don't really drink, but for you, I'd gladly down a frosty one or two. You're on! (keep me informed)
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars