Red XA "Wipeout" Coupe Replica

Like the name says...

Postby MFP1 » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:12 pm

Jon,

That is totally cool!! Now I really need to get to work on it. I have a line on a really cheap 1972 F100 at a wrecking yard that has the roof caved in, so the Cobra truck or the black towtruck will be in the works too! Just as an FYI, I think that those 2 truck were dual purpose vehicles. Customized to look good on screen, yet used to haul off the wrecks as they were mashed during filming (check out the scene max and the gyrocaptain watch through the telescope, that black towtruck in the background is there as much to haul off the buggy as it is to be in the scene)!
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby perana » Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:17 pm

Have a "nightrider " pursuit under construction (black monaro)
Hey Fella .....You're A Turkey .....You Know That
perana

Postby nelson » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:59 am

hi perana if you have some photos of your work to date send them to the geocities site address on the post above. The more replicas we have to look at the better.
nelson

Postby Interdictor » Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:55 am

It's about time someone took on the Nightrider project! Good luck with it, perana.Image
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby MFP1 » Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:30 am

Good luck on one of the coolest cars in the MM1 film, perana, Ill look foward to seeing it.

I was at the "Prowl" show last weekend, saw Bill replica, as wqell as many other falcons and a Landau! Everyone keeps saying that I should do the Red XA, and since it is an XA I think thats exactly what Ill do. I am still collecting parts for a "Black" replica, but I think Ill insist on a 73 XB (GT if I can get it) for a base car.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby Interdictor » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:05 am

As for the dart guns being legal, as long as they are not functional I don't see how you could really get in trouble with them ( aside from a possible menacing charge, Ie: don't point them at anyone) I have fake .50cal machine guns sticking out of the grille of my Subaru and have never been hasseled about them. Same goes for the huge zoomie pipes. Generally, the exhaust has to exit the passenger compartment, & they would defenately do that. smokestacks are legal, so I should think they would be as well. If nothing else, make them non-functional. Then, legally they couldn't say boo about it. ( might hassle you a bit though ) Go to your local police department and ask to see if there are any laws specifacally prohibiting these things. This is what I did. no laws specifically prohibiting the mounting of guns on a car ( they probably never thought any one would TRY Image ) Also, I asked about running red & blue lights on the roof. No laws prohibiting the mounting of the lights, just the use of them. ie; I can't turn them ON. This was in Denver, where the laws are pretty anal, so check where you live. I bet you can do it!
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Peter Barton » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:32 am

One thing to be cautious of if you have exhausts coming out the side of the car like that is the heat of the pipes. Smoke stacks usually have some sort of protection against this, to prevent anyone being able to touch the actual hot exhaust. In the case of the Red XA I'd be more worried about someone burning themselves on the pipes than the fumes.

Does anyone know if the side exhausts were actually hooked up on the XA in the film? I can't say I've ever investigated that one too closely.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Wrinkles » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:52 am

MFP1 - I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, but to me the red XA appears to have XB guards (fenders) and an XB grille. It's definitely an XA bonnet (hood), (and the doors and rear lights indicate it's an XA) but unless the guards have been filled where the parker/indicator lights go, they're XB guards. The grille is a little hard to identify - but I see it as an XB with the "honeycomb" sections either painted or covered over.

Not being picky - and like I said, happy to be proven wrong. ...just thought if you were planning on doing a replica, you might want to have a closer look - you may need to track down some XB bits & pieces for your XA.

....but definitely a replica that would be well worth doing! - good luck!
Wrinkles

Postby Interdictor » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:48 pm

I just looked closely on my DVD, & you can see that at the moment of impact (when the Mack nails the Red XA) the exhaust gets shoved down, & the zoomies ARE functional ! they are connected to the exhaust and you can even see that the car has mufflers. (they appear to be yellow glasspacks) I SEE SOMETHING NEW EVERY TIME I STUDY THAT FILM!!!!!Image Also, I don't know from different grille styles, but the car DOES have black painted honeycomb inserts in the grille.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby MFP1 » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:32 am

Functional giant zoomies, COOL!! thats just what I had hoped, as I intend to be as true to the film as possible. I do agree it seems to be XB gaurds and a "non GT" XB grill. I wll have to look closeer at the film, I noticed that the landau gives you a good look underneath as it rolls but didnt think wed have the same luck with the XA.

I can use all the "Picky" oppinions I can get, I want this vehicle to be exact! Ill have to stay clear of the zoomies after racin around though, so I wont get burned!
MFP1

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars