Radio

Like the name says...

Radio

Postby Sucks_Nitro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Considering the original black on black (JG66ND43660K) was optioned with an 11 Transistor P.B. radio (Option 71),

This is what an Option 71 radio looks like:

However, observing screen captures of what appears fitted to the dash in Mad Max (1979), the radio setup looks like this:

Does anyone have information on what radio was fitted during filming?

To my uneducated eyes it also looks like a rear speaker fader knob is fitted to the right hand side of the radio.

While I was screen capturing, also spotted a switch near the ignition:

Was this used to turn the blower on and off?
Sucks_Nitro

Re: Radio

Postby MadMatt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Well the blower was direct drive from the engine from extra belt ran from dual groove pully on the a/c compressor. Thats a Fact. I have noticed this aswell and i think it was just used to turn on the blue light. BUT that is strickly my opinion.
MadMatt

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Its a standard XA/XB radio cassette player... similar to this one

These come up on eBay once in a while....

Sucks_Nitro wrote:While I was screen capturing, also spotted a switch near the ignition:
Was this used to turn the blower on and off?
No... the blower was never an on/off set up.. it ran directly from the AC pump.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby ydx7 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:11 am

Are you sure that the BoB radio is an actual Ford product and not an aftermarket replacement? The BoB radio has a green station indicator(I don't know the actual name). What is odd though is that the cassette eject button appears round in the "steering wheel" pic and rectangular in the "blue light" pic. It also looks to have metallic trim.

I do have a question of my own. I rembered noticing this after seeing the generic Ford interior above. I originally noticed something when Max starts his yellow interceptor. What are the different positions on the ignition?

larger than life and twice as ugly
ydx7

Postby NuffTorque » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:53 pm

ydx7 wrote: What are the different positions on the ignition?

ON
..................OFF............START
............and
..........push
...........to

..........LOCK

............ ACC

there is something between lock and acc but cant remember??
"Course I'm going on, Shut up, Peoples lives are in peril..."
NuffTorque

Postby Walker 2008 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 pm

I thought the blower was driven by an electric motor hooked to the toggle switch on the gear shift. There are several scenes where the car is being driven without the blower pulley spinning. The one where he chases the bikers down farm road. Just before he runs through them there is a shot of the front of the car. You can clearly see the blower is not spinning. Once again in the scene at the end when he is driving away from Johnny the boy the blower is not spinning. The scene MM2 when he is driving up to the gyro copter the blower is not spinning there either.
Walker 2008

Postby NuffTorque » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:32 pm

They disconnected the belt when they wanted it off.

If you look at the first movie where max pulls the blower switch and the blower starts, it seems to falter for a couple of revolutions, then starts spinning, that is when they actually start the motor and it turns over a couple of times before it fires. The camera is zoomed close to the blower with only the sky in the background so you cant see whether the car is moving or not.
"Course I'm going on, Shut up, Peoples lives are in peril..."
NuffTorque

Postby MadMatt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Well like any car thats 5 plus years old i would not be suprised if it was aftermarket 8 track player. Very popular then of course. And who ever had the want for a XBGT i am sure would have the jam left over to put one in. It also has dealer installed A/C.
MadMatt

Postby ydx7 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 am

I'm too yhinking that's an 8-track, because I think I've seen pics of others where they only had an eject button.

I found this pic

at this site:

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/model ... ashes.html

larger than life and twice as ugly
ydx7

Postby roadwarriormfp » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 pm

ydx7 wrote:Are you sure that the BoB radio is an actual Ford product and not an aftermarket replacement? The BoB radio has a green station indicator(I don't know the actual name). What is odd though is that the cassette eject button appears round in the "steering wheel" pic and rectangular in the "blue light" pic. It also looks to have metallic trim.

I do have a question of my own. I rembered noticing this after seeing the generic Ford interior above. I originally noticed something when Max starts his yellow interceptor. What are the different positions on the ignition?

The radio hole in the XB was never a standard single DIN hole, there were several available radio cassette players available from Ford in those days.
"aftermarket" was unheard of when the XB came out, though by 1977 things were changing.

As for the ignition.... you havent said what you saw?
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars