Dean Semler needs to return........nope, it's John Seale

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Dean Semler needs to return........nope, it's John Seale

Postby Peter Barton » Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 pm

biolumen wrote:Not sure what he means by putting "cameras in a position of jeopardy", but it sounds like something you'd want for this movie.

I would guess he means place the camera where it will get the best shot - the shot you want - don't make decisions around the potential safety of the equipment if you are ultimately going to compromise the end result.

They hit a couple of cameras in Mad Max 2, you can see one on screen when the axle on the Red XA heads straight at it after the Mack hits it. Dennis Williams mentioned wrecking another as well, but I can't recall off the top of my head where it is - most likely during the final Mack crash stunt.

As for the 3D, bah. I would assume they need it so they can market the film that way and sell more tickets. Everything big these days is "3D", and I guess the kids who spend the bulk of the $$$ expect it. But I can take or leave it, I'll usually watch in 2D if there's an option.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby toecutter » Fri May 11, 2012 3:01 am

I'm over 3D. I cant think of a single film that it has made any contribution to. Im also not paying the extra dough to see a 3D film. Its a fad. It will disappear - soon I hope.

I also dislike digital projection. The blacks arent black, you can see pixellation etc.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby Dene » Fri May 11, 2012 4:14 am

I too prefer 2D.

Don't have a 3D set-up at home, and won't buy a 2D version of a full-blown 3D movie. If it was made to be seen in 3D, that's the way it should be seen IMO - I wouldn't watch Hugo in 2D for instance.

So I'm glad Fury Road is only a conversion, it means I can buy! However, will prob go see both formats in the cinema. Least I can do given how much I want to see this movie.
Dene

Postby Wez 1968 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:26 am

After seeing Avatar in 3D i'm totally convinced in "Made for 3D" movies. It was awesome. However... the whole post 3D thing has me convinced i'll see the movie in 2D first then get blown away in 3D (hopefully) after.
However I am totaly convinced that George Miller (given all the "leaked" vehicle images), has all the elements I love about Mad Max and I'm totally hooked!

Go George!
The collection of all Mad Max Fury Road Pictures in one place. Almost all from this forum. http://madmaxcars.blogspot.com.au
Wez 1968

Postby biolumen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 pm

If.com confirms 3D conversion. As for cameras, Seale tells them that they're using...

• 4 ARRI ALEXA Plus cameras (for standard sound shooting)
• 3 ARRI ALEXA M cameras (for the interior of trucks)
• 6 Canon 5D cameras (for stunt situations)
• 7 Olympus P5 cameras (as pure “crash” cameras).

http://if.com.au/2012/06/28/article/EXC ... QAZHA.html
biolumen

Postby biolumen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 pm

A cameraman tweeted about his brush with death yesterday. He ended up in the hospital with some cuts and bruises.

http://twitter.com/JySamurai/status/237507978117402624

I'm not clear on the details, but from this photo of the damage, it appears he rear ended the tanker in whatever contraption he was shooting from. Note the camera angle.

Crash.jpg
Crash.jpg (120.34 KiB) Viewed 1734 times

http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/0 ... 803c_7.jpg

Of particular note is a small detail in that picture that someone on another board pointed out. The LCD camera display shows that it's set to 48 fps.

FPS.jpg
FPS.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 1734 times

This would be the first clue that Miller might be shooting at 48 frames per second rather than the standard 24.

The jury is still out on whether audiences will take to it or not (reactions to the 48 fps scenes Peter Jackson showed of 'The Hobbit' were generally negative), but it's ideal for an action movie like this because it basically eliminates motion blur.
biolumen

Postby DGSimo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 am

biolumen wrote:A cameraman tweeted about his brush with death yesterday. He ended up in the hospital with some cuts and bruises.

http://twitter.com/JySamurai/status/237507978117402624

I'm not clear on the details, but from this photo of the damage, it appears he rear ended the tanker in whatever contraption he was shooting from. Note the camera angle.

Crash.jpg

http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/0 ... 803c_7.jpg

Of particular note is a small detail in that picture that someone on another board pointed out. The LCD camera display shows that it's set to 48 fps.

FPS.jpg

This would be the first clue that Miller might be shooting at 48 frames per second rather than the standard 24.

The jury is still out on whether audiences will take to it or not (reactions to the 48 fps scenes Peter Jackson showed of 'The Hobbit' were generally negative), but it's ideal for an action movie like this because it basically eliminates motion blur.

You see the very last car shell with the flags on it on the back of the War Rig before the ball in this photo?

He was inside it when the scene called for the Rig to pass under a bridge and have the flags taken out except the stunt driver drove too fast and too close to the lowest point of the bridge and ended up wiping out the car the camera man was filming in. Thank god he wasn't killed as you can see the aftermath in the photo of what was left of the shell. I guess the incident was chalked up to that the stunt driver who had rehearsed the stunt wasn't the same one on hand who drove the Rig yesterday.
DGSimo

Postby junkers88 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:02 am

Remember also that multiples of 24 when conformed back to 24 (standard projection rate) give you slow motion.

48 fps conformed to 24 fps is 1/2 speed of the original action.
96 fps conformed to 24 fps is 1/4 speed...etc

So at 48 fps any given action event that took 1 second to happen would play out in 2 when played back on conventional projector.
Junkers
junkers88

Postby boomerang » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:32 am

biolumen wrote:

I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of motion blur. It's what gives the sense of speed. If I look out the window of a moving car, and I am close to a fence/wall/trees, they will be pass by quickly and be "blurry".
boomerang

Postby Chase Bansi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:41 am

The vehicles have certainly gotten much dirtier, hard to tell they were once black. I can't help but wonder if this will cause any continuity issues.
Glad to hear the camera man is ok. I hope the footage was worth it, maybe even a bonus.

No matter where you go, there you are MFP 5863
Chase Bansi

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road