Building the F100 Cobra Tow Truck

Like the name says...

Re: Building the F100 Cobra Tow Truck

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:13 pm

I appreciate it guys, but this is MFP1's thread about building his red F100. I'm going to start another thread about my VERY far-off idea to build the Lone Wolf.

HUMVEE Driver
"I'll see you on the road!"
http://www.madmaxmodels.com
HUMVEE Driver

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:50 am

I just wanted to bump this thread back up, and ya know we haven't forgotten about it. I want to see that red F100 at the Wasteland Weekend! Any updates?

HUMVEE Driver
"I'll see you on the road!"
http://www.madmaxmodels.com
HUMVEE Driver

Postby MFP1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks Dave! Well with the other Cobra F100 build going so well, and Roadwar Northwest & Wasteland Weekend looming, I have gotten back out, and moving on the project.

As you can see the project was "Frozen" for some time while I have been doing a lot of other projects.
Pun Totally intended, but it is still true!
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby MFP1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Now that the weather has improved, Full teardown has picked back up. The goal with this truck will be primarily screen accuracy (with a very few little personal twists), and long term viability and preservation through full restoration. With that in mind having the frame and panels media blasted is the first major step before metalwork.
Bed off you can see the frame needs it:

And the bed need help too, prefect donor truck for this project (Diamond Plate floor, thoughts?)

Floors gone too, debating diamond plate vs NPD patch panels.

Most of the front panels have major rust. Looking at donor trucks or boneyard hopping. Cant tell you how many bolts had to be sawd, drilled, or cuttered to get here. Now just the cab needs to come off.

No it is NOT the screen used yellow bucket from MM1, it is a tribute bucket.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby PacificMuscle » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 am

No it is NOT the screen used yellow bucket from MM1, it is a tribute bucket.

The funniest thing on this board in a VERY long time !!

:lol:
Lingerie ... remember Lingerie ...

Pete
PacificMuscle

Postby Southern N.M. Cobra » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 am

Dennis Carpenter has weld in replacement floor pans (and pretty much all the other sheet metal parts) PN C7TZ-1011135-L for $60.00. It'll be cool to see how your truck looks when finished. Did you ever get the part number for the lights on the hood? I have not found a matching one yet.
Southern N.M. Cobra

Postby MFP1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Southern N.M. Cobra wrote:Dennis Carpenter has weld in replacement floor pans (and pretty much all the other sheet metal parts) PN C7TZ-1011135-L for $60.00. It'll be cool to see how your truck looks when finished. Did you ever get the part number for the lights on the hood? I have not found a matching one yet.

Cool, thanks Cobra! I will probably order those then.
Yeah this is cool, side by side (so to speak) Cobra F-100 builds! Yours is turning out so cool so far! I have a way to go before I can even start what you are doing, just due to the restoration elements. I suspect yours will be more in the spirit of the original (I am sure they did not restore it one bit, except maybe mechanically). Cant wait to see how it turns out either!

Hood lights are from "Hella". Dont have an exact part number yet, but they appear to be exclusive to Australia (or at least not a common USA item of the day).

If you are going to have your hood louvered, remember it will require careful removal of the lower skin, and replacement once the louvers are stamped in.

Any idea what those seats came out of, or the actual Hella pn# for the hood lights? (anyone.......?)
MFP1

Postby Southern N.M. Cobra » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I think the seats look like they came out of a car of the same era, low frame, low back buckets. I found the work lights (3, 1 on back of hood and 2 on end of boom), Hella Matador Work Lamp with Grille & Switch, CR,HL87163 - 12V, 55W, just remove the grill. But at $65.00 ea. I can't afford them right now. As for the louvers, I have been a hot rodder since before I could drive, punched many in a lot of hoods, and that was the reason I posted the question in my build thread.
Southern N.M. Cobra

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 pm

The seats looked like Valiant Charger Aussie ones
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby MrSpeed » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:55 pm

You got a lot of work on ya hands there dee, will look cool with your xa bat in tha waistland.
The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel, it'll take you ten minutes to hack through it with this, now if your lucky ? you can hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go !
MrSpeed

PreviousNext

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars