Collectors Edition Interceptor Parts

Like the name says...

Postby MFP1 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:01 pm

To everyone out there who is building or wants to build a replica......Or even dress your daily driver up with interceptor details....... I have been looking into the intrest level on reissues of original "Mad Max" parts made by the original companys, possibly in collectors packaging. The items would possibly include Blower switches, Old style weiand Blowers (working or fake), MAXROB steering wheels, Dobros "pressure" Gauges (maybe made to wire directly into your xb falcon's gas sender), and a few other items.

Obviously details etc. on most of these will depend on demend, and some may be unrealistic, some downright impossible, since the original companys dont exsist anymore. I'm just trying to discover if there is a market for the reissues, and if it matters to anyone if the products are packaged as "Mad Max Collectors edition" or not. Your input is greaty appriceated.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby nelson » Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:00 am

I would suggest they would be very popular, check out the lnks page for all the replica buliders web pages, seems to be a lot of people interested. Parts are always a problem with a car that is nearly thirty years old.
nelson

Postby Interdictor » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:37 am

You have my attention! ( and I don't own a falcon.....yet) Especially if you can produce "original" parts, not cheap knock-offs, SIGN ME UP! All the goodies in one package sounds good. As long as the bits are authentic, call them whatever you like, people will buy them. Access to all the pieces is the biggest hurdle to overcome (especially outside Oz) when building a replica. DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT NOW!!!
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Interdictor » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:39 am

I might also suggest you post your querry in the general area where there seems to be the most traffic on this forumImage
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby MFP1 » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:08 pm

Cool, looks like several things will be a reality here soon. The more initial intrest there is the better the chances of other companys jumping on the bandwagon.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby Brianesff » Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:57 am

I'm sure there's a lot of interest in replica parts but people will be discouraged when they hear the price tag.

Who should decide what parts are worthy as collector items? A complete kit could easily cost over 10K.

I was fortunate to find some of the rare parts on my own.

They were not cheap.

The parts I can't find will have to be made from scratch.

I am fabricating a few parts like the Max Rob wheel and center pad, fiberglass parts, the blower pulley, zoomie flare tips, look alike wheels, a scott hat, and MFP emblems.

It takes a lot of time. Easier said than done. I really don't want to get into supply market but it won't be hard to make a couple extra for trading with the right people.

Brian S

3 birds of prey
Brianesff

Postby MFP1 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:57 am

Brian,

Actually the price tag will be farily close to the original retail price of these parts (part of the beauty of this whole thing), and they will be made by the ORIGINAL manufactures, so in essence will BE the ORIGINAL parts featured in the film, just made new from the old stampers and moulds. Dont break your bank or back on the MAXROB wheel or center, or on the DOBROS gauge or the blower parts, as these are on the top of the list of ones that will be re-released as this plan comes true (and for prices far below the insane collectors pricetag they have had lately). As far as the wheels go, this style of wheel is a common van wheel in the USA still and can be obtained in black or white for about $25-$55 per wheel (no chrome parts or tyres). I can make the magnetic MFP emblems for cheap once I find a design I like, but I work in the industry. Anyway, I really hope this all comes through, some may very soon, Ill keep y'all posted.
MFP1

Postby Brianesff » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:25 pm

A lot of the original manufactures are no longer in business. How can they make original parts if they don't exist? In some cases used or reproduction parts are the only option.

Some old stampers and molds were lost or thrown away.

Original flare molds don't exist because they were custom made by the pre movie owner. The flares are the most difficult parts to get right because replica builders only have movie pics to go by. One bodyman said they have a thousand hours invested in the body work and fiberglass add ons.

I won't pay a fortune for a Max Rob wheel and center because I can make my own for about $50. I saw a MR wheel on Ebay once. It was different from the movie wheel and had a wooden grip. The high bid was $600, with no center pad.

The common US van wheels are not the same.I have a set of the steel van wheels.

My aluminum wheels are close but not exact. (I think there somewhere in the replica section).

If you can convince the remaining manufactures to make the parts again, you've done the impossible. Keep us posted.
Brian S

3 birds of prey
Brianesff

Postby v8interceptor » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:41 pm

MFP1

That would be great !!! People that are interested in these parts always would buy the originals(at the same price of course) , so if you can produce the original parts featured in the film at good price I only can tell you one thing...Do it.

In the future I'd like to import a Falcon, so if you are successful in your original parts project, don't forget to ship worldwide.Image
"Shut the gate on this one Max.It's the duck's guts"."Yeah,she's the last of the V8's."
v8interceptor

Postby MFP1 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:35 pm

V8Interceptor,

I am sure that these will be shippable anywhere. Hopefully though I wont be doing any of the shipping (the manfacturers should), although I would if thats what it took.Image

Brianesff,

You are very Correct! Most of the original manufactures are gone, sadly. So I dont think for example the scott "superslot" injector hat, and most of the fiberglass (if not all), among many others will ever come back. Looks like I really need to learn a little more about the wheels as well( just wondering, when max discovers the gyrocopter, is there diffrent rims on the back of the interceptor?) so I get the correct ones. How do you make the maxrob wheel? that sounds cool.

The ones I am working with are ones that are either still in business, or the old co. is owned by another, or has changed names etc. I realise that I am trying the impossible, and hoping to succeed where others have not......but (cross your fingers and wish me luck) I think I am making some progress. It is really in their best intrest to capture the market for these sought after parts.
MFP1

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars