Possible pictures of actual Fury Road vehicles

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Possible pictures of actual Fury Road vehicles

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:20 am

FordMercury wrote:Is the RipSaw confirmed to be in the movie?

I'm told there are a fair few 'Yank' cars on 4x4 chassis. Not sure about the robot tank.
Daz

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 am

roadwarriormfp wrote:I dont understand the fuss?

The pictures reveal tough a chassis design, so these cars can perform stunts safely.
The cars have ot yet gone to the "arts" dept and had their "make-up" put on.
At the end of the day we wont see the chassis at all and will instead see a heap of junk on wheels.

I agree and hope this is the case, I'm sure the art department could hide away the modern sophisticated parts and make them look like they are built from junk.

But ultimately times have changed, while it would be good to see 100% viable vehicle construction I just don't see this is possible in modern film making. I doubt you could get away with the even Road Warrior vehicles these days.

The extreme style doesn't bother me too much, they are going to need to chase audience figures with this film and the budget gives the opportunity to really push things. I'm really looking forward to possibly seeing these cars thrashing around the desert in Fury Road.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Mad Max RW » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 am

I'm more worried about the story and Tom Hardy pulling off Max. We already saw the Interceptor and some other hot-rod looking cars will be in it. So what if they add some tanks or monster trucks or whatever. Thunderdome had a goddamn cow car, for chrissakes. We should all be praying George Miller doesn't throw a bunch of whiny kids in there or other cheese to appeal to the younger generation.
"You wanna get out of here....you talk to me."
Mad Max RW

Postby DetritusMaximus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am

roadwarriormfp wrote:
Er... in case you missed it.
The pictures were taken at a truck stop.
The vehicles were under a tarp and the driver said he is on his way to Silverton.

How do you know they custom made vehicle with the caddy front end looks like?
Or have I missed a picture of it fully exposed?
What brightly coloured vehicles? Where?
All we have seen is pictures of very tough looking chassis designs.
It was in Millers inview where he said the vehicles would be designed to perform stunts safely at high speed.

My guess is they are for a different, lower budget movie or some car crushing/monster truck thingy.

They are not monster trucks and nor would they be covered if they were.
"Lower budget film"?

Yes here in Australia we make 100s of B grade movies ....
Hmm, I didn't intend to start a fuss. I will answer your questions as to what I said. MWFV8 has it right. To me, the vehicles in the pics, based on what is seen, don't fit the RW world.

I also don't necessarily take what is handed to me on the internet as 'truth'. Pics at a truck stop? An unknown truckdriver's word? Both from another forum and 'someone going by 3legs'? Heck, even if all that were true, given Miller's desire for secrecy, it could go either way. A little misinformation to keep people guessing....and keep some hype going. The only thing that keeps me form questioning them being in Australia is the flatbed has three axles, not commonly used here in the states.

The 'Caddy' has a nice big cowcatcher (more like a cow gutter!) and mud/sand tires, not road tires. Seems to me that cowcatcher would be a bit of a problem offroad. More likely to dig in. Both the tires and the cowcatcher would be good for crowd control. This is aside from the fact that I find 59 Cadillacs to be a tired and worn cliche.

Ignore the 'brightly colored' comment. I was making a reference to props/vehicles in movies that appeal to kids (and toy marketing) but if it were real, generally wouldn't make sense in the storyline.

The chassis look tough, but the mounting of suspension in the 3rd and 4th pics looks weak. In particular the silver tubes apparently holding the axles to the frame. I see what appear to be large shocks, but don't see much as far suspension travel. Look at all the weight in that frame, then look at the size of the axle itself. And not much supporting the two. For all I know, that silver tube assembly is for transport only and will be removed and replaced with springs/bags, or maybe it's just for parade ground cruising.
Also, given the size of those axles and tires, the amount of hp and fuel needed to get some speed does not make sense in a world where you scavenge fuel. I have my doubts about high speed stunts in that vehicle...but there is nothing to assume it was made for that, it might just be window dressing.

What I see in the pics is offroad/monstertruck stuff. Could be covered for any reason, including sand storms. If the movie takes place just after RW, I'd expect road cars.

Lower budget movies tend to be a little cheesier, over the top, or less thought out than the movies they are 'inspired' by. What I see in the pics says, "NOT George Miller".

But I could be wrong and placing my standards on top of his.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby DetritusMaximus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Bad cop wrote:The vehicles in Mad Max films are not poorly modified, and they don't look that either. The first film had normal vehicles but with muscle cars being used as police cars. The second films vehicles are essentially normal, but custom muscle cars and trucks. Humungas' gang essentially put together the coolest looking vehicles they possibly could, and the result was a huge gang of the coolest looking muscle cars and trucks ever. The vehicles in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, as different as they are, are not at all poorly constructed. There is a difference between a vehicle that looks apocalyptic and a vehicle that is poorly constructed.

I essentially agree with you. The cars in MM were nicely modified 'normal' cars. Except for the Lar's Impala...it's hard to miss the velocity stacks bolted to the hood...
But in the context of the story parts and fuel are starting to get scarce. MFP personell are warned about dealing in fuel and even the Interceptor was built 'a piece from here and a piece from there'.

In the second film, the cars are still mostly normal but the modifications have much more of a 'whatever you can find' look. The Monaro, the Landau, and the cop car all have parts from much earlier cars. I presume the logic to be that after some damage, finding the exact right parts for repair might be a little difficult in the wasteland, especially when you have to scavenge and fight just for fuel. Or you go the route of the other Holden and strip off the sheetmetal completely, just motor and chassis. That seems to be the new theme introduced in RW with that Holden, Humungus's truck and the Lone Wolf, not to mention the buggies. Even bikes were being stripped and cobbled.

By the third movie, the idea seems to be that things have settled down enough for purpose-built fabrication. But only so far as utility, function, and servicing. Even the Cow Car makes some sense. I'd say sheetmetal would be more valuable and harder to acquire than cowhides, so why waste it on a vehicle that will just get tore up.

Anyway, the details of the 'cow catcher' on the Caddy and the design of the others looks 'too well done' to be built by marauders in the same era as RW. There seemed to be enough usable vehicles still around to not need to do that much fabrication.

When I saw RW for the first time (before I had even seen MM), I had a different take on it. The look of the cars, sort of familiar, but not really, made it seem more alternate reality. As if the cars, although modified in the wasteland, were still not too different from what they were suppose to be when factory new. As if the details like bumpers and grills of the 50's-60's had stayed much the same as the car profiles moved into the 70's. This put the entire backstory and 'history' into a different light and not just 'a few years from now', but a completely fictional country. I could be wrong, but until the view of the bridge and wrecked opera house in Thunderdome, I don't recall a reference to a specific city or country in any of the movies. Only the people who knew the locations or recognized settings would have an idea.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby biolumen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm normally not argumentative, but I had to comment.

DetritusMaximus wrote:To me, the vehicles in the pics, based on what is seen, don't fit the RW world.

Fury Road isn't a remake of RW. Hardy said "It's a relaunch and revisit to the world, an entire restructuring." So these vehicles will likely exist in a sort of alternate Mad Max universe, one containing many of the same basic elements of the earlier films (Max, Interceptor, etc), but probably with some big differences too. As such, how do we know whether these vehicles fit or don't fit into the world being created?

DetritusMaximus wrote:A little misinformation to keep people guessing....and keep some hype going.

The people who have seen these pictures will make up no more than a tiny fraction of 1% of those who will eventually be seeing the movie. The pictures are basically a non issue. The idea of an elaborate ruse is silly. Nobody really cares about these pictures except for an insignificant few.

DetritusMaximus wrote:Seems to me that cowcatcher would be a bit of a problem offroad. More likely to dig in.

I don't know enough about these things to form an opinion one way or the other, but I trust that the crack team of engineers, technicians and stunt drivers who are involved with this project know what they are doing. As for the car, maybe it's just a backround vehicle.

DetritusMaximus wrote:I was making a reference to props/vehicles in movies that appeal to kids (and toy marketing) but if it were real, generally wouldn't make sense in the storyline.

What storyline?

DetritusMaximus wrote:The chassis look tough, but the mounting of suspension in the 3rd and 4th pics looks weak. In particular the silver tubes apparently holding the axles to the frame.

Oddly enough, I had the exact same reaction when I first saw it, but then, what do I know about these kinds of things. Essentially nothing, really. I've seen those vehicles that race the Baja 1000 and their undercarriages look fairly flimsy for the duty they're put through, so who knows.

DetritusMaximus wrote:What I see in the pics is offroad/monstertruck stuff. Could be covered for any reason, including sand storms. If the movie takes place just after RW, I'd expect road cars.

If some of the rumors going back 10 years are to be believed, at least one chase takes place in and around sand dune environs. I do hope for some asphalt action, though.

DetritusMaximus wrote:What I see in the pics says, "NOT George Miller".

We're only seeing bits and pieces of 3, maybe 4 vehicles out of over 100 reported to be in the film. I think we need to see more of what they've built before we cast final judgment.
biolumen

Postby Yok_Rzeznic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 am

But you're not getting the point man, these guys know everything about it already! The movie's outcome is dependent completely on their early speculative opinion!

Too bad it's gonna have to suck now I guess...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=169019682217
Help a fan get into Fury Road, or just look at some pretty pictures...
Yok_Rzeznic

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:04 am

biolumen wrote:I'm normally not argumentative, but I had to comment.

Fury Road isn't a remake of RW. Hardy said "It's a relaunch and revisit to the world, an entire restructuring." So these vehicles will likely exist in a sort of alternate Mad Max universe, one containing many of the same basic elements of the earlier films (Max, Interceptor, etc), but probably with some big differences too. As such, how do we know whether these vehicles fit or don't fit into the world being created?

The people who have seen these pictures will make up no more than a tiny fraction of 1% of those who will eventually be seeing the movie. The pictures are basically a non issue. The idea of an elaborate ruse is silly. Nobody really cares about these pictures except for an insignificant few.

I don't know enough about these things to form an opinion one way or the other, but I trust that the crack team of engineers, technicians and stunt drivers who are involved with this project know what they are doing. As for the car, maybe it's just a backround vehicle.

What storyline?

Oddly enough, I had the exact same reaction when I first saw it, but then, what do I know about these kinds of things. Essentially nothing, really. I've seen those vehicles that race the Baja 1000 and their undercarriages look fairly flimsy for the duty they're put through, so who knows.

If some of the rumors going back 10 years are to be believed, at least one chase takes place in and around sand dune environs. I do hope for some asphalt action, though.

We're only seeing bits and pieces of 3, maybe 4 vehicles out of over 100 reported to be in the film. I think we need to see more of what they've built before we cast final judgment.

The current conjecture on this forum is that the movie takes place around the time of RW, whether it is a straight fit or a 'reimagining'.
Someone even suggested it was about 'two weeks' later. My speculation on the cars is based on that conjecture and the rumored ten year old script. Both of those imply Max being a central character, a continuation of the old storyline. If we are switching to a new character to take his place, it could be set at any point. Of course, if the chronological setting is different, then my thoughts along with many others on here will have little relevance to what they are actually doing.
From what Hardy apparently says, it's hard to tell if they are telling a side story with a new character or starting the whole thing over.

If we are an 'insignificant few', why so much secrecy?

I'm sure the crew building and using the vehicles know what they are doing, I just have doubts about the cars in the pics being built for any serious stunt work or speed. What you say about the Baja 1000 vehicles is true. They look flimsy but aren't. What they are is relatively light weight with lots of suspension travel. The tracked vehicle looks about right for structure, the I-beam and steel channel frame with huge axles does not. Lots of weight above and below the connecting tubes. It is possible it is meant to break there in a stunt. But that is speculation on my part.

I'm not trying to cast judgement, but it seems people are taking these pics as the gospel. I was just voicing my thoughts on my doubts. I'd really like to see more. When I saw the first so-called 'photos', the bare metal interceptor and the ratrod Holden, I thought they were unlikely but I liked the idea of the distorted ratrod designs doing combat on the road. It kind of makes sense with Miller's choices in the past. MM had the 70's custom car thing, RW had that plus the dunebuggys and Thunderdome was made as monster trucks became the rage. Ratrods are the current trend and would fit well into Max's world at almost any point in time, just need to choose paint or no paint.

"The storyline' was again a general comment about vehicle and prop design in movies.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Miller has a particular style that involves a more realistic approach than what other directors/producers/art directors would do. That is what I want. Make me believe it, not the comic book nonsense you get in other movies.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:17 am

Yok_Rzeznic wrote:But you're not getting the point man, these guys know everything about it already! The movie's outcome is dependent completely on their early speculative opinion!

How are my doubts really any different than believing these cars are definitely in the movie? Both are still speculation. I expressed my reasons for my doubts, but it seems to have been decided these cars are in the movie based on hope, script rumors and pics from 'somebody on another forum'.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:06 pm

DetritusMaximus wrote:
Yok_Rzeznic wrote:But you're not getting the point man, these guys know everything about it already! The movie's outcome is dependent completely on their early speculative opinion!

How are my doubts really any different than believing these cars are definitely in the movie? Both are still speculation. I expressed my reasons for my doubts, but it seems to have been decided these cars are in the movie based on hope, script rumors and pics from 'somebody on another forum'.

Im mystified to your last comment.... "someone from another forum"?

Whats the problem?

Because it wasnt a forum member its not true what was posted?
Indeed wouldnt the story be less likely to be false because someone on another forum told his mates what he saw, instead of coming here and bragging?
I am truely lost...
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road