this may help with directions

Back 2 The Max - Little River, 10 - 12 October 2008 (and formerly Broken Hill, July 12-14 2002)

Postby Interdictor » Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:13 am

The Group from Welcome to wherever seemed pretty nervous there in the daylightImage
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby toecutter » Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:55 am

My Wilcannia experience:

I arrived in town on fumes. I pulled into a servo and the attendant approached.

'Filler up mate'

He comes back a few minutes later with his hand out.

'20 bucks thanks'

'Didnt I ask you to fill the tank ?'

'Yeah, but give me the 20 bucks before i put any more in'

Friendly fellow. I gave him 50, he filled the tank, i paid teh rest and left. I wanted to get into Broken Hill by sunset anyway.

As I was leaving there was a large brawl out the front of a milk bar.

Lovely place.

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby Dave_H » Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:59 am

I think I'll avoid stopping in Wilcannia there overnight. However I wont make the trip in one hit and still have a real need to stop somewhere overnight on the way,

My reasons:

- 1168klm

- Days are shorter, its dusk by about 4:30pm I want to avoid driving after dusk

- Im not the ultimate endurance driver and would like to break the trip up a bit.

- Bringing a friend whos not a big max fan and thus wants to stop and check out things along the way.

With Wilcannia out, it appears that once I get to Cobar, its an all or nothing drive 450klm further to BH.

You help please:

Is Cobar safe for an overnight stay for an out of towner? http://www.walkabout.com.au/[color=#800080 size=2]www.walkabout.com.au[/color] hasn't said anything bad about it.?

Any accommodation on the highway somewhere that anyone could recommend?

thanks dave
Dave_H

Postby Lindi » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:33 am

Dave.........................I spend a fair bit of time in Wilcannia through my job...................it's portrayed worse than what it is.......... however very little in the way of meal selection at night except for pizza or the local bowling club. It's only a 2 hour run from the "Hill". 2 motels in town.

To break up the journey a bit better why not Cobar which is 5 hours away and quite a few motels to choose from(not as pricey either)? Shop around for the best accom. price.

I would recommend the latter option.
local knowledge
Lindi

Postby me max » Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:03 am

Dave,

I think I will be stopping at Cobar for the night and treking the rest in the morning after a good sleep and a nice hot shower. I am leaving Thursday morning early and aiming for Cobar in a day with a few sight seeing stops along the way, I dont want to push the Interceptor hard for it's first long journey. If that's sounds good to you and anyone else who is heading up on that day, feel free to join the convoy. If you want to discuss times and schedules, you can e-mail me on mailto:tbarrs@bigpond.com

I'm ready for your best"- toecutter.
me max

Previous

Return to Back 2 The Max