High Fatality Road

General discussions about everything else

High Fatality Road

Postby the armourer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:36 am

This just in,....Interstate 4, a major highway bisecting this state and one of my favorite high-speed travel routes, has been named the third most dangerous road in the country. Statistics put a fatality every 1.5 miles.

Only number three? I think if we try really hard we can capture number two or even first place. :roll:

By the way, my 383 is at the machinist's being punched .030" over. It's gonna be a good summer. ;)
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Re: High Fatality Road

Postby Gasoline » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 pm

That's a great effort. It's amazing what a community can do when they all come together (especially at speed) Lol.

Any chance you can post some teaser photos of the car, John?
It doesn't matter if it looks plain at the moment. Most of our projects started life as something that looked like 'Grandma's car'
Kick her in the guts Barry !
Gasoline

Postby the armourer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:41 am

I'm glad someone else appreciates my type of dry humor.

I'd love to post pics, Brad. But I'm not technologically savvy enough with the digital medium. I still shoot 35mm. But I'll see what I can do.
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Postby Gasoline » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

35mm. That's a decent calibre you're shooting with. :lol:
Gasoline

Postby the armourer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Gasoline wrote:35mm. That's a decent calibre you're shooting with. :lol:

LOL Yep. Someday I'll go 40mm. :lol: I can pick up a M203 for around $3000 plus the transfer tax. M79's are about double that. Can't get any of the truely fun rounds though. :(

Just think how much more interesting either one of the films would have been if Max had been 40mm capable. :D

the armourer

Postby Gasoline » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm

What a concept, yeah I can just see that.....

A sawn off M79 in a thigh holster. He sure would walk with a limp.
It would make light work of motorcycle gangs and later on, marauder vehicles.
Gasoline

Postby toecutter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:06 pm

'Just think how much more interesting either one of the films would have been if Max had been 40mm capable'

Actually, much duller. Show me one post apocalyptic genre film improved by copious use of bullets sprayed everywhere.

One, just one...
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby the armourer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:11 am

toecutter wrote:'Just think how much more interesting either one of the films would have been if Max had been 40mm capable'

Actually, much duller. Show me one post apocalyptic genre film improved by copious use of bullets sprayed everywhere.

One, just one...

You do realize we are talking about a single-shot grenade launcher, not automatic weapons. In the hands of a skilled operator, it is capable of almost pinpoint accuracy. It is not a spray and pray device. The ability to stay out of bow range, to be able to lay indirect fire without exposing yourself, a wide variety of rounds from HE to buckshot. A very versitile piece. Brad caught what I meant. 8-)

the armourer

Postby Gasoline » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks John,
Talking to you privately in the past and being privy to the incredible knowledge you possess concerning small arms and military history......
Is it true that grenadiers in Vietnam were issued buckshot along with HE?
I assume the buckshot would have been used when the necessity for close quarters arose, eg,,, clearing buildings.

That would be one nasty shotgun!
Gasoline

Postby the armourer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:04 am

Gasoline wrote:Thanks John,
Talking to you privately in the past and being privy to the incredible knowledge you possess concerning small arms and military history......
Is it true that grenadiers in Vietnam were issued buckshot along with HE?
I assume the buckshot would have been used when the necessity for close quarters arose, eg,,, clearing buildings.

That would be one nasty shotgun!

Buckshot, HE, anti-personnel, smoke, flechette, a whole slew of nasty goodies. There was even a cartridge that had a group of .22 rimfire barrels that would fire at the same time in a volley. Aussie troops called the M-79 the 'Wombat Gun'. There's a story in Robin Moore's book, 'The Green Berets', about the early days of our involvement, where a SF NCO uses a 79 to take out a French plantation owner who was a Viet Cong operative. The SF guys knew he was running raids with the Cong but could never catch him in the act. So they let some intel leak that they were taking out a newly trained group that was not their best students, when actually the group was one of the top classes. The Frenchy took the bait and set an ambush and the SF trap was set. When the VC hit the group, it quickly became apparent that they were out-sized and out-smarted and the ambush became a rout. The fore mentioned 79 wielding NCO used the weapon to stop the Frenchy's flee to safety, turn him towards a better kill zone, and then finally drop an HE round right between his feet. All this while the Frenchman was at a dead run and about 100 meters out. A great example of the efficiency and deadliness of the weapon in the hands of an expert. HumveeDriver prob has some experience in the sandbox with the Mk-19, the belt-fed launcher. Maybe we can get Dave to regale us.

the armourer

Return to Off-Topic