this may help with directions

Back 2 The Max - Little River, 10 - 12 October 2008 (and formerly Broken Hill, July 12-14 2002)

Postby Peter Barton » Sun May 26, 2002 12:15 am

From VIC I think it's easiest straight up the Calder Highway, I don't even think there's any real alternative to just going that way?
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby toecutter » Sun May 26, 2002 4:10 am

i went from the act along the hume, then the road to cowra, then to dubbo. from act to dubbo about 120kmh then from dubbo onwards when it was far less congested and empty anywhere from 140kmh to 165-180kmh.

The barrier is a majestic stretch of road. well maintained, sealed, excellent visibility.

Some scrub, some bush, mostly empty grass and arid environments though.

Out of Dubbo I only saw one police car, a 4wd heading the other way. i throttled back from about 160kmh, but he didnt turn arnd and chase me so i just cruised until wilcannia. plenty of servos every hundred k's or so. no need for spare fuel unless yr vehicle is thirsty, but do take food, water etc. standard outback travel stuff.

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby nelson » Sun May 26, 2002 6:05 am

How about late at night are the servo's open 24hrs
nelson

Postby Peter Barton » Sun May 26, 2002 8:12 am

In general, no. In the major towns you can usually find a 24 hour service station, but out on the open road they tend to close overnight. Coming from Melbourne, I'm pretty sure that you won't find a 24 hour petrol stop beyond the VIC/NSW border.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby toecutter » Tue May 28, 2002 12:39 am

In some smaller towns a servo might open, but you have to pay extra for getting the poor rapacious servo owner out of the cot at 4 am.

A word of advice to well intentioned outback travellers:

dont drive at night unless you have a roobar or bullbar on your vehicle.

You are likely to encounter:roos, cattle, camels, horses, wombats, sheep, people 'sleeping' on the asphalt.

I cant think of any reason i woudl choose to drive at night in teh outback, unless i was safely ensconsced 8 feet up in teh cab of a western star with plenty of iron in front of me and 3000 watts of ontap daylight.

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby Lindi » Fri May 31, 2002 11:14 pm

Hi.................I'm a local from Broken Hill and new to your forum. Just like to help out with a few of your queries

Just like to reinforce some advice about travelling at night in the Far West....................DON'T. It can be really dangerous. If you decide to drive at night you would only be able to sit on 40k's a hour or so anyway due to all the wildlife.

The trip from Sydney generally takes 14-15hours or so via Dubbo................(on the speed limit)

Drop a line if you have any other queries.........I'll try and help if I can.
local knowledge
Lindi

Postby nelson » Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:02 am

Hi Lindi, welcome to the forum. Have you ever been to Sydney via Mildura. Which way would you suggest.
nelson

Postby Lindi » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:43 am

Hi Nelson,

I have only done the trip via Dubbo,Cobar etc................it's a really dull trip either way with long stretches between towns. The Mildura route would be more scenic but the wildlife factor still comes into it as the Emus and Roos are in plague proportions.
local knowledge
Lindi

Postby Dave_H » Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:59 am

Lindi,

thanks for the local knowledge, Would you reccomend Cobar, Wilcannia or anywhere else as a potential stopover for someone travelling from Sydney?

I recall someone saying that Wilcannia can be a bit unsafe for out of towners after dark. Is there actually any truth in this?. Anything of this nature that travellers should be aware of?

thanks
Dave_H

Postby Peter Barton » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:43 am

I have heard bad things about Wilcannia... I would not be stopping there.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Back 2 The Max