Need help with finding an M-60 machine gun part...

General discussions about everything else

Need help with finding an M-60 machine gun part...

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a resin M-60 replica for a very reasonable price. I have an ammo belt to go with it, but what I need is the plastic ammo box that holds the rounds. NOT the steel ammo box that the rounds come in; I mean the cheap plastic ammo box that clips to the underside of the machine gun. I've tried military surplus stores, ammo magazines, eBay; all with no luck. I'd appreicate any help! I'm talking to you, armourer!

Here's a (small) picture of one:

HUMVEE Driver
"I'll see you on the road!"
http://www.madmaxmodels.com
HUMVEE Driver

Re: Need help with finding an M-60 machine gun part...

Postby the armourer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:46 pm

HUMVEE Driver wrote:Hello everyone! I recently purchased a resin M-60 replica for a very reasonable price. I have an ammo belt to go with it, but what I need is the plastic ammo box that holds the rounds. NOT the steel ammo box that the rounds come in; I mean the cheap plastic ammo box that clips to the underside of the machine gun. I've tried military surplus stores, ammo magazines, eBay; all with no luck. I'd appreicate any help! I'm talking to you, armourer!

Here's a (small) picture of one:

HUMVEE Driver

If you had bought a 249, I could fix you up. I haven't seen them for the Pig in a long time. I'd try running a 'Want To Buy' ad on the NFA section of Sturmgewehr.com You can also try the classifieds on subguns.com Someone on either is sure to have one or know where to find one. I've never been a fan of the 60. The MAG(240G) is a much better piece, IMHO. Personally, I'll take the MG42/MG3 over either one.

If you had posted this a few days ago, a friend went up to the Knob Creek shoot this weekend and I could have asked him to look for one. I'll be seeing him Tuesday or Wednesday So I'll ask if he knows of any. He's the only SOT in the area who plays with the modern belt-fed stuff.

So,...what are your plans for this? Or should I not ask?
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Postby scattergun » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 pm

try a paper called the SHOTGUN NEWS they have advertisements for machine gun parts and all types of military gear.
scattergun

Postby the armourer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:30 pm

scattergun wrote:try a paper called the SHOTGUN NEWS they have advertisements for machine gun parts and all types of military gear.

Shotgun News sure isn't what it was 25 years ago.

Dave, I totally forgot about 'Small Arms Review' magazine. Most Barnes & Nobles or Books-a-Million will have an issue. There is usually a directory of the major Class 3/SOT people in every issue. You should be able to track that box down in no time.
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am

I'm doing a Punisher costume sometime in the future. I have ordered a resin M60; the classic Vietnam era model.

I had been trained with the M60E, with the forward grip. I liked it, but when we got the M240G, I was blown away. It was a little heavier, but it had better range, greater accuracy, and it was more reliable.

I'm still looking into all the various sources people have told me about. So far, no luck. :(

HUMVEE Driver
HUMVEE Driver

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:36 am

Punisher costume? Really? 8-) kick ass man. My fav comic book charactor!
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 am

The Punisher is my favorite comic book character too; partly because I was a Marine and I think if I was a super hero, that's that kind of super hero I'd be!

I got my resin M60 yesterday, and I like it. It's not perfect (being cast in resin) but the price was right and it works for a costume. It doesn't have the carrying handle or the cocking handle and some other very minor parts. I looked into buying those parts, and damn are they expensive. I might try making my own somehow. I've already made the front sling attachment and I'm fixing up the front end of the barrel.

I also made up my Punisher body armor. I bought the body armor carrier; it's just a cloth vest with velcro pouches that you slip the Kevlar armor into. It's a lot cheaper to just buy the carrier! I cut up cardboard to fit in the pouches, and from the outside you can't tell the difference. I also had to cut off some of the extra pouches and I had to shorten the velcro straps. Then I printed off a Punisher skull onto sticker paper, cut it out, and stuck it on there. Then I spray painted the skull on. I made it a little messy on purpose; looks more authentic I think. I still have to dress it up and weather the whole thing.

As for weapons (what is the Punisher without a lot of guns?!?) I have an M-16, a dual shoulder rig for two .45 pistols, thigh holsters for two more .45s, a real (spent) AT-4, two MAC-10s, an MP5, and a chrome shotgun. All of the firearms are very realistic Airsoft replicas. I'm not going to carry all of those guns; even for the Punisher that's overkill, not to mention being awkward as hell to just walk around in. I'll probably end up carrying the M60 and have the four .45's in their holsters. I might try to find a way to carry the AT-4, 'cause it's so damn cool, and maybe make some kind of a cloth holster on the back of my body armor for the chrome shotgun.

HUMVEE Driver
HUMVEE Driver

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:19 pm

No offence Dave,But please don't use the shitty "04" movie version skull. Use the better "08" version Ray Stevenson WARZONE skull. While the 04 movie was ok.it really pales in comparison with the more comic correct WARZONE movie imho.
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby HUMVEE Driver » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 pm

You're right, Bart; I completely forgot about that. I'll have to see about changing it.

HUMVEE Driver
HUMVEE Driver

Postby the armourer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 am

Big Bopper Bart wrote:No offence Dave,But please don't use the shitty "04" movie version skull. Use the better "08" version Ray Stevenson WARZONE skull. While the 04 movie was ok.it really pales in comparison with the more comic correct WARZONE movie imho.

I hadn't noticed the difference, reckon I'll have to watch the '08 version again. I was over in Tampa last week and I drove past the Old Union Depot Hotel, which was the tenement building for the '04 film, and saw that someone painted the skulls on the boarded-up doors. Didn't notice which version, but I thought it was pretty cool. 8-)

the armourer

Next

Return to Off-Topic