back2themax

Back 2 The Max - Little River, 10 - 12 October 2008 (and formerly Broken Hill, July 12-14 2002)

back2themax

Postby nelson » Wed May 08, 2002 12:28 am

Does anyone have an idea of how many fans will be attending?

Its a fair trip to make but well worth it should there be like minded idiots there
nelson

back2themax

Postby Peter Barton » Wed May 08, 2002 1:01 am

This is one of the things that is hard to say for sure. Because it's not necessary to pre-book tickets for anything in advance, there is no real way to get an accurate figure at the moment. I can see from the web site stats that there were just over 3000 visits last month, so the interest is certainly there. And the people in Broken Hill itself certainly seem to be generating a lot of interest, I think they will generate fairly large crowds all by themselves, even if no one from outside came along Image

Seriously, if you've ever considered going to Broken Hill to see the Mad Max sites, this would be the time to make your trip. There will be replica vehicles running around, people doing tours of the locations, cast and crew wandering around the place - it's as close as you'll get to having been there when it was filmed. If you go any other time you'll have to search out all of this stuff for yourself, and you probably won't see half as much.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

back2themax

Postby nelson » Wed May 08, 2002 1:45 am

Cool. I am definately going. The site needs some updating though. Like where can people meet socially? Perhaps the MFP badges is worth follwing up, a great idea to identify fans....it may not be that difficult. Thanks for your quick reply Peter and Thanks for your site and the work that has gone into it. Will you be there???
nelson

back2themax

Postby Peter Barton » Wed May 08, 2002 3:51 am

Of course I will be there!

At this stage the only event with a set time is the Mad Max / Mad Max 2 screening at the Silver City cinema.

The plan is to go out and visit the locations at the other times, although I think they're still working out the best order to do that. The primary locations would be the Mundi Mundi lookout, The Pinnacles, and Red Hill / The Mad Mile. The idea is that we'll all travel out to each of those locations in some kind of group, so that people aren't left to themselves to try and work out where anything is. If you want to be involved in everything, I would plan to arrive by Friday morning, and not depart until Monday morning.

It is also intended that the various cars will be on display somewhere at some point, probably following the screenings on the Saturday. There should also be a final get together of some kind on the Sunday.

This is all going through the final planning stages at the moment, I think they're just working through the final stages of organising people, vehicles, buses, etc. I would expect to have fairly concrete details / times posted on the Back 2 The Max web site within the next week.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

back2themax

Postby Dave_H » Thu May 09, 2002 5:31 am

I'm 95% sure to go at this point, however I also would appreciate greater levels of detail on the B2TM site. I understand how hard something like this is to organise and then communicate through a seperate webmaster but...

From Sydney it is a 2 day drive and I was planning to leave on the thursday morning. However from the above I have just learnt that it would be friday if I wanted to be involved in everything. Unfortunatley people who work and need time off are planning their trips right now.

Some people may be coming by themselves so it would be good to suggest a a few places for people if they want to avoid a lonely thursday or friday night, stike up a few informal friendships get involved in the spirit of a Friday night in BH. Also a good place to get contact details before Saturday morning. From memory there is a big "Workers" Licensed club on Argent St and also a Pub just around the corner opposite the Tourist Centre. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Another question for Peter, You made mention of the Locals at BH generating a lot of interest, I'm quite intrigued by this, can you explain whats been happening in a bit more detail.

Either way, Im getting excited about this, It should be a bloody good weekend.

cheers

dave

Dave_H

back2themax

Postby Peter Barton » Thu May 09, 2002 6:13 am

The original plan was to tour all the locations over the weekend. It is now more likely that there will be an extra event in Broken Hill on the Sunday, which would mean visiting one of the locations (most probably Mundi Mundi lookout) on the Friday afternoon instead, rather than trying to cram everything in over just 2 days. I have been assured this will all be confirmed in the next week. For anyone travelling a long distance, I would urge them to be in Broken Hill by sometime earlier on Friday in any case. I don't think you really want to be turning up Friday night after dark (a bit dangerous to drive around outside BH due to the wildlife), or Saturday morning - the cinema screening is early afternoon, and it is planned that one of the other locations will be visited first up on Saturday morning.

As for the people of Broken Hill, there have already been local newspaper articles and other stories (radio, etc) done about the event. As most people who have looked at the film would know, probably half the crew / extras were Broken Hill residents, so it follows that a lot of those people and their families are still around, and all keen to be involved. Once again, once all the final events are announced it should then be possible to pre-book tickets to the double feature and so on, to ensure that enough people are catered for and no one misses out.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

back2themax

Postby Dave_H » Thu May 09, 2002 12:53 pm

Sounds like the BH locals are pretty interested. In my own mind, theres any ever increasing sense of hype for this weekend. Im really looking forward to it!

From my personal perspective, my plans thus far are leave sydney on thursday morning and do the hard slog until dusk. After this time im concerned about hitting another animal (A NSW north coast encounter in January with a big roo has already reshaped the front of my car once already).

With the remaining distance, hopefully I will be in BH by mid afternoon friday, where I'll relax for saturday and sunday's activities. As well as MAx stuff, BH is a fascinating town full of interesting stuff.

From memory, think the Workers club bistro for dinner on a sunday night, might be a nice farewell for any fans remaining around.

cheers

dave

Dave_H

back2themax

Postby nelson » Thu May 09, 2002 11:11 pm

I was thinking of going from Sydney via Adelaide for an overnight stay. Is it reasonable to do it in one trip? I dont want to get there and be stuffed from the trip.
nelson

back2themax

Postby Neobrit » Fri May 10, 2002 10:43 am

The idea of everybody travelling around in a group to the locations sounds quite exciting ,it conjours up images of the humungus roaming the wasteland cool!.Wish I could go but I`ll look forward to see some pics /vids.Everyone who goes have a great time !
Nomad biker trash
Neobrit

back2themax

Postby CamW » Wed May 22, 2002 4:45 pm

I'll definately be there! Ironically it's also my 21st Image and I was raised on these films, so how can I pass an opportunity like this up?.

I'll be making the trip up with some mates, so if you guys see a bunch of cyberpunk/goth types about the place, please say hi. We'd love to meet some like minded fans Image

Does anyone know what "official" events have been organised over the weekend and/or any costs involved?

Oh and What would be the go for accomodation?

Cheers, C
CamW

Next

Return to Back 2 The Max