Mad Max on TV - What film is shown the most in your Country?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Mad Max on TV - What film is shown the most in your Country?

Postby SCREWLOOSE » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 am

I was watching Beyond Thunderdome on Terrestrial TV last night in the UK, it must have been the 10th time I've seen it on TV where as Mad Max and Road Warrior I have only seen on UK TV about 6 times at most between the two films....

Would this be of a similar pattern in other countries and if so, how come it is shown more than the other two films which are seen as superior to Thunderdome?
Pray hes out there!!
SCREWLOOSE

Re: Mad Max on TV - What film is shown the most in your Country?

Postby Tombonator[FIN] » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 am

Here in Finland, they show only Mad Max 2, and Thunderdome. Usually they show first MM2 like saturday and Thunderdome in next weekend. Sometimes they show only one of these films. If i remember right, both of these films are shown pretty same count. In Finland i've never havent saw the original Mad Max from TV. When i was younger, Mad Max 2 was named as "Mad Max 2". Last time when it was aired in television, it was named as "Asfalttisoturi" (finnish translation for a Road Warrior) Also in finnish DVD-covers are named same way. Tryin' get people instrest off about the first film? There are romours in Finland that first Mad Max were too violentic? for television, or Finnish tv companies don't have rights to show it, and they cannot bought those. I guess they dont want buy a 70's aussie indiefilm rights for television? Only published first "Mad Max" with finnish subtitles is old, rental VHS from early 80's.
Tombonator[FIN]

Postby Taipan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:12 am

Over here in Poland when you see any of MM movies on TV make sure to tune in next week cause they'll throw down the rest of trilogy.

It's a pattern, for a couple of years they were airing MM on new years eve and then subsequently MM2 & 3 the next 3 weeks. I can't tell which one is aired the most though. I think it's Home Alone during Christmas eve. Yeah it always gets its views.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Nightwalker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 pm

The only MM film they show here in the Netherlands is the Road warrior. At least as far as I know. It's showed every couple of years. Or sometimes 2 times a year on different independent channels.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Postby SCREWLOOSE » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 pm

I remember seeing Thunderdome twice on BBC 1 as a kid I didnt know the other two existed, it was pre internet days. I was always amazed at Bartertown, its society, the junk mobiles and I did like the story. Then about 2 years later on BBC 2 I saw Mad Max I liked it but not as much as Thunderdome for some reason, however I love it too bits now, also it was my first taste of the Interceptor, Roop Charlie and the Goose and it got me hooked. Next up was Road Warrior I remember it being on a school night as I was shattered the next day in class, I loved it to bits the canabalised cars and seeing how society had gradually delcined since Mad Max and the "War" that the Feral Kid talks about, I thought Wez was much more badass than Humungous and should have been leader of the Marauders, and to top it all off Cookie from A Country Practice was in it (Syd Helen who plays Curmudgeon)

I think that Thunderdome is more entertaining to the casual viewer on TV and more visually stunning than the other two films, I was in awe of the post apocolyptic world that George Millar had created.

Due to Thunderdome getting a bigger Box Office release is it the one most people remember hence it might get more airtime on TV...well in the UK?
Pray hes out there!!
SCREWLOOSE

Postby Peter Barton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:13 pm

On free to air TV in Australia, Mad Max 2 has been shown once in about the last 5 years. That's it. No Thunderdome screenings that I recall, and definitely no Mad Max.

If you go back 10 years, I think there has been one more screening of Mad Max 2, and maybe one for Thunderdome. The last time I recall seeing the original Mad Max on free to air TV in Australia was during the 1980's. For films that are still constantly referred to in mainstream media here, it's surprising how little they are actually shown.

Cable is a bit different, Foxtel here air Mad Max about once every six months that I've noticed - maybe more than that, it airs on a movie channel that I don't exactly monitor frequently anyway. No Mad Max 2 or Thunderdome on cable that I've noted (but again, might have just missed it).
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Tyderium » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:48 pm

I can't remember the last time MM2 or Thunderdome were shown on free to air in Australia, but I saw Mad Max on Foxtel a few weeks ago when they were having an Australian themed movie classics week. Two other films featuring a young Gibson of the same era were shown also, Gallipoli and Tim.
Tyderium

Postby MadMatt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Here in the USA they just had a big weekend of all three movies in a row on the AMC movie channel, three weekends in a row at that!! Every since the new undubbed Mad Max DVD came out. Several differnt channles have played the first Mad Max quit often like it probly aires 3-4 times a year. For about the past 8 years. The Road warrior aires all the time on Encore action movie channel. I have seen it well over a dosen times in 6 months!! I have seen it several times on the old local channels as a teenager. Beyond thunder dome playes often on most of the popular channels over the years but not to much really. I do remember a cool Bithday i had when i was 14 and about 10 o clock at night the first Mad Max played on Cinemax movie channel while i but my new bike together! those were the days! back then i never thought in a million years i would have the bOb in my garage! LOL
MadMatt

Postby aussie muscle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 am

Peter Barton wrote:Cable is a bit different, Foxtel here air Mad Max about once every six months that I've noticed - maybe more than that, it airs on a movie channel that I don't exactly monitor frequently anyway. No Mad Max 2 or Thunderdome on cable that I've noted (but again, might have just missed it).

Thunderdome was on recently. can't remember which channel
aussie muscle

Postby Stef-Man » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:55 am

The first Mad Max will be aired on TV tonight (France 3). I don't remember when it was aired the last time. But it was a looong time ago... at least on the first 3 historic channels.
Stef-Man

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion