Darkwind: War On Wheels

Computer games, role playing games, online games...

Postby viKKing » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Have you ever heard about Darkwind: War on Wheels, an turn based racing and vehicles combat game, set in a post-apocalyptical world, A la Mad Max?

Our game is certainly much more for Car Wars fan than real time racers.

Anyway it's free to play with limited features, and cross platform, though there is a lot of work to do on the Linux version yet.

This game is not like many others, deaths are permanent, and it will require some time to get used to; but it's certainly worth the test, for any Mad Max fan. :)

See you on the tracks; may you die fast and pain less!

http://www.dark-wind.com/

viKKing
/viKKing
Developper,
viKKing

Postby Chase Bansi » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:09 am

Finally, an online game I can sink my teeth into. Your vehicle sheet looks a lot like a Car Wars sheet. I'm a huge Steve Jackson fan and have always wished he'd move his properties into the computer realm. I look forward to checking out your game more closely. Of course I have my own battle tested designs I'd love to see in this kind of environment.....

No matter where you go, there you are MFP 5863
Chase Bansi

Postby viKKing » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:21 am

Thanks for giving it a try.

You know, it's mostly a matter of passion in doing this game; the team is only made of 2 people and a few contributors.

I found this great site while looking at some info on Mad Max cars, as I think we should add a few more in the spirit. Image
/viKKing
Developper,
viKKing

Postby Chase Bansi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:40 am

The game is a real hoot. I'm having a blast learning to drive. To bad I've killed off my best drivers. The turn by turn style is a nice change from the classic simulator style of driving. Of course I'm bias because I was a hard core Car Wars gammer 20+ years ago.

There are guys here that have done up MM vehicles for other games, maybe they'd be willing to share. Let's hope they see this thread and post to it!

Of course the ultimate scenario would be the Road Warrior tanker run.

Chase Bansi

Re: Darkwind: War On Wheels

Postby Justice » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:21 am

It looked interesting untill I learned you can't do anything without paying. I am the kind of guy that buys his games in full, and that's it. Monthly fees to play a game, a la World of Warcraft, is just something I will never do.
Heroes die... Legends live on... maxrockatansky.org
[last updated: October 24th 2009]
Justice

Postby viKKing » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Justice wrote:It looked interesting untill I learned you can't do anything without paying.

May I point out this statement is false?
You can play the game by participating in league races, deathraces and arena combats, ladder challenges.
I think you can take part in upcoming short leagues and special week-end events, but I have to check with my "boss".

What you can't do without subscribing for a very small fee (US$61.05 for a full year):
own a car and customized it
explore wilderness (travelling, making trade, etc).
own a camp (incoming feature).
/viKKing
Developper,
viKKing

Postby Justice » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Then maybe I have overlooked something. I just took a deeper look into it. It's interesting, that's for sure! But I do have to say I like the arcade style a bit better, there you always see if you have it, or not... (sadly that also means more chances to use cheats).

But the fun part in this game is naturally to go out and about in your own car, and that is what you can't do without paying. It's a good way of doing business, but for people like me it's instant doom. I don't mind paying for a game as I own many, but when it's a reoccurring fee you loose me.
Justice

Postby viKKing » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:45 pm

Justice, I don't understand what's the difference between paying a game 60 bucks in a store at once, or paying a fee of the same amount for 1 year of gaming.
In our case, it's even different, the game being continuously developped - and we care about players opinions - it will be improved for the next 18 months (characters on foot, bicycles, trucks, etc.), something other games don't offer. You buy a final product in which only bugs can be fixed.

Maybe you are like me and you need up to 10 years to finish a game? ;)
I still haven't reached the final combat in Jagged Alliance 2...

We are interested in getting your opinion.
Do you think the subscription price is too high? - current weakness of the US Dollar doesn't help.
/viKKing
Developper,
viKKing

Postby Justice » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:17 pm

I want to pay 60 bucks at once, and play whenever, not having to worry about paying anything later to play the game. I just really dislike "pay as you go". That was the #1 reason I never got into world of warcraft. And tons of other games like it.

And yes, it takes me forever to get trough games, mostly because I play them hard core for a couple of weeks, and then it dies down because I loose interest. But then, a month later, I take it up again.

As far as the subscription price goes, you'll have to check the amount of paying players in your database. If it covers cost, and gets you a little extra to boot, your price is right. If not, you'll need to lower the steps a little.
Justice

Postby Chase Bansi » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:27 pm

I've enjoyed playing for free, learning how to play. Actually have gotten my feet under me and quit killing my own drivers. Started building a bigger "gang". I may do the subscription thing later but I'm happy for now. The turn by turn makes it easy to play at work .. er... I mean while I'm doing other things. I sure can't do that with other driving games.

Chase Bansi

Next

Return to Games and Gaming