Roadwar 151 (2)

Fan events and get togethers - Wasteland Weekend, Roadwar, etc..

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Mitch » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:59 pm

Is that Racer (red) X's car?

Post the pics again! The car would have been a worthy addition to the convoy. Too bad it didn't make it after you put so much work in on it. Oh well, next time for sure!

Hey guys...

Plans are afoot to have a decent Mad Max event piggybacked onto Archon in St. Louis. One kinda exciting development is that I've been asked if we could put it off a year until fall 2007. Chances are very good that the North American Science Fiction Convention (NASFiC) may be held in St. Louis in 2007. This is the US alternative to Worldcon when Worldcon is out of country. So it gets pretty big. We have the support of the Archon powers that be to hold an event pretty much as we like, so this eliminates a lot of the logistical and legal worries.

Do a search on Archon to see what it's like. Like I said, the masquerade/costume contest is pretty good, and a good chance to show off your outfits. In addition, people walk around in all sorts of getups all during the weekend, so there won't be the 'freakout factor' from the norms. We'll have a dedicated place to park any vehicles that show up, and access to meeting rooms for discussion panels, displays, etc. No problems showing movies either. Anybody wanna come this fall or next and scope things out, lemme know. We can make this into something pretty cool.

So, let's start brainstorming what we'd like to see, get a rough idea how many are interested and take it from there.

John
Mitch

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Anklecranker » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:09 pm

do stars attend this event?

Anklecranker

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Mitch » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:11 pm

Affirmative. Virginia Hey has already attended once and said she enjoyed herself. We have media guests every year along with authors, Hollywood special effects people and assorted interesting individuals from all over. One of the best years we had Ray Harryhausen, Forrest J. Ackerman and Isaac Asimov all hanging out together.

So I can see Vernon Wells, Virginia Hey and anybody else we can rustle up being invited to attend. Appearance fees and room comps are negotiated by another committee member, but I can put them in contact with anybody we want. Norma Moriceau, the costume designer, would be nice. We do have a costuming guest of honor every year.

So yeah, we have 'stars', just not A list people like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, or say, Mel Gibson...

Suggest away people...

Mitch
Mitch

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Anklecranker » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:49 pm

I'd really like to meet Mike Preston or Emil Minty...maybe Bruce Spence......

Anklecranker

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Karol » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:55 pm

Mitch,

If you get Norma there I will be there!
Karol

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby PULSE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:51 pm

So anything new Mitch?

Anyone else planning anything?
Pulse:

"One of the Texas Twelve"
PULSE

Location: San Antonio, Texas (it's not the wasteland, but you can see it from here)

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Mitch » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:05 pm

I've gotten the blessing of the Committee Chairperson to do pretty much what we want, but it's a little far off to do much detail planning as yet. We're still focused on this year's event in Oct. If anyone wants a preview of the venue, come on over to St. Louis for this Archon.

We can do the Fall 2006, Fall 2007 or both. 2006 is a regular Archon, but 2007 will be the NASFIC, which is what the alternative to Worldcon is when it's not located in North America. Should be bigger than a regular Archon.

Anybody else have anything? Dragoncon? Another regional con that we can just show up together at? Car shows? Hooters grand openings?

We can start listing/brainstorming events we'd like to see. Can't promise everything will go through, but if we get started now, we can see what's feasible. This can be as big as we make it.

Mitch
Mitch

Roadwar 151 (2)

Postby Karol » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:54 pm

Mitch,

I took the liberty of listing Archon 2006 on http://www.roadwarusa.com as an event we can look forward to.

If you check the site, you will also see that there is an event in the works in Seattle for May/June 2006.

I'm also in the early stages of planning an event in the California desert for April 2007.

Maybe some of you guys can meet the Texas Twelve again in San Antonio when we have our trial in November!
Karol

Previous

Return to Events