Not a sequel, but a remake

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Postby MFPIntercepta » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:12 pm

Let's face it, Mel Gibson is the only Mad Max. Plus, the series has written itself into a corner. I say there should be a loose remake of the first film. Call it "Main Force Patrol," and incorporate elements that made MM1 and 2 great.

Here's what would stay the same

1) Cops in high-powered V-8 police cruisers and on superfast crotchrockets chase down the bad guys. They shoot first, ask questions later, and stop at nothing until the mission's accomplished, no matter how much death, destruction, and mayhem they leave in their wake.

2)Freaked out wasteland gangbangers on crotchrockets, in dunebuggies, and pieced-together hot rods.

3)Revenge, revenge, revenge!

Here's what would be different

1)It takes place in a future USA where Americans are forced to draw from their own oil reserves and gas is strictly rationed to the general public. the MFP is the highway patrol in the desolate midwest and west, patrolling the interstates and protecting society from the juice-hungry gangs. In this story, our protagonist and the rest of the hot ensemble cast roam I-40 through Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona (this area is a desolate wasteland now!)

2)Obviously, 70's muscle cars can't be used. Instead, late model mustangs, trans-ams, and other contemporary muscle is used on the roads. Even with the gas shortage, congress passes the Main Force Patrol act, to bring these muscle cars back on the roads. Everything else now is gas-electric hybrids, or runs on ethanol. The only muscle cars left are the above-mentioned models that are pulled out of the junkyards, and refurbished into interceptors to keep up with the raw speed of the highway gangs. It also makes politicians look like geniuses by saving money this way, even though the MFP sucks up half the nation's gas supply to do their job.

3)The protagonist is not married with kids. He or she takes revenge on one of the gangs because his or her lover, another cop, is tortured to death by thugs after a chase gone horribly wrong.

4) This film will have more of an ensemble feel a la "S.W.A.T."

5)The cars will be black with brightly colored striping and letters. Like the originals, though, "Interceptor" or "Pursuit" will be painted on the rear spoiler.

I'm curious what more frequent long-time posters think of this idea. Bear in mind this is a vision for a blockbuster, not necessarily an artistic achievement in the same caliber as "The Road Warrior."
"Save it. I'm just here for the gasoline."
MFPIntercepta

Postby Tom Millan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:52 am

Pretty cool. I am working on a Mad Max type of film but it takes place in Canada and the U.S. The script is patented and the character was created by me 20 years ago. Your idea looks cool also. Good one.

Tom
Pray that he's still out there... somewhere...
Tom Millan

Postby rockatansky4073 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:21 am

No offence, but not in AMERICA, man. I think the reason the 'MAX's' are so badarse, is cause their AUSTRALIAN - throw in the US. and you get THUNDERDOME, see what happens.

Make it now, and the yanks would put f**king FRED DIRST in it.

Like i said no offence Yanky Bro's, so don't hate mail me. Image
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Postby MFPIntercepta » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:52 am

If Fred Durst got in a movie like this, it would be in a cameo. We're talking Vin Diesel or maybe Colin Farrell as the Bronze hero here. In this type story, I want to retain the gritty energy of the first two films. Thunderdome Redux it won't beImage
MFPIntercepta

Postby MFP1 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:31 pm

I would say that a raw low buget film, with unknown actors (or virtually) mad in the USA, with stunt quality like the original Gone in 60 sec., but decent acting and dialog........... made in the USA would have a good chance of being super cool, but only if it was done right.

I have to admit that you Aussie's have done a bang up job of making some of the best Automotive Action films of all time, as well as some of the best muscle cars.....

But a "what was happening in thre USA at the time of MM1" type film could be pretty cool........IF..........
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby DetritusMaximus » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:16 am

Not to lecture, but....you guys have to remember something, here. Part of the appeal of Mad Max and Road Warrior, here in the US, is slightly different than it was in Australia. The reason is that the because the cars were not readily identifiable, rather they looked like US cars but weren't. When you watch nostalgically acclaimed US productions, "Dukes of Hazzard", "Route 66", "Knightrider", "Smokey and the Bandit", "Christine", etc., the cars already have cultural significance. They already represent specific cultural references and status. Plus, you get all the "I piss on...(insert name of car manufacturer you dislike)" attitude. The Dodge guys hate the Bandit Trans Am, the Pontiac guys hate the General Lee, and the Ford guys hate everybody.

With the Max series, all that goes away. No obsessive fixation on whether or not the Falcon was the right car because a tuned E38 or E49 would leave it behind. The story is front and center, no one cared the Interceptor was a Ford and not a Holden. It is what it is, nothing more.

There is something to be said for that anonymity when telling a story such as this. Besides, it makes it easier to accept the fictional abilities of the vehicle since it is not a known quantity.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby rockatansky4073 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:51 am

your right MAXIMUS, not being a yank, i can't imagine how cool that woulda been to see all these unreal cars that all looked like pure custom jobs, and ya had no idea what the f**k they all were.

I have about 3 back to back copies of FANGORIA from around 82' or 83' when ROAD WARRIOR was released in US. and its packed with letters from you guys asking "what the hell is the car Mel Gibson is driving in the MAD MAX movies?" - then heaps of letters came in with "TORINO's - AMX's, CHARGER's - you name it, if it was a COUPE, and a Muscle car in the US. they named it.

took ages before somebody who'd visited New Zealand (same cars as us), came along, and said 'a souped up XB GT FORD FALCON.'

And i tell ya, this made me hate the arrogance you guys have sometimes, cause then letters came in saying the guy was full of sh*t, 'how could AUSTRALIAN's make Muscle cars, these things must have been imported from the US. or something - you don't know what your on about' etc...
rockatansky4073

Postby MFPIntercepta » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:15 am

Well, Max's Falcon XB does look like a mustang and a torino had a kid;-) But I'll admit that Australia is about the only other country besides the US that has a rich muscle car tradition coming out of the 60's and 70's.
MFPIntercepta

Postby Bozz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:54 pm

And to think all this time I thought MM was a MOTORCYCLE movie.

Geesh.

I don't know what I was thinking.
"Bit's o this, bit's o that..."
Bozz

Postby rockatansky4073 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:20 pm

Funny that - most people i know who ride bikes, think that too. Image

THEIR WROOONG.
rockatansky4073

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road