What's it mean??

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

What's it mean??

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 14, 1999 6:25 am

Okay, I know I use the callsign TheDarkOne, but I don't know what it means. The old guy who helps Max and Jessie is the Dark One. "May, call the DarkOne, tell him to get here as fast as he can." On Max's yelow XB, it says TheDarkOne on the side. What's the meaning of it?? Does the novel say (nightrider, I know you have the book, does it say anything). I would personally like to know so I'm not just some jackass using the callsign and not knowing the meaning of it.
TheDarkOne

Re: What's it mean??

Postby Night Rider » Wed Jul 14, 1999 7:00 am

In Reply to: What's it mean?? posted by TheDarkOne on July 14, 1999 at 14:25:51:

The book never really comes right out and says it but it implies that somehow Max knows the Dark One. Maybe he is the partner that was supposed to be in the movie. He may have been transferred from breaker squad because of his age and lessening abilities, so maybe that is why Max's yellow XB says The Dark One on it.

: Okay, I know I use the callsign TheDarkOne, but I don't know what it means. The old guy who helps Max and Jessie is the Dark One. "May, call the DarkOne, tell him to get here as fast as he can." On Max's yelow XB, it says TheDarkOne on the side. What's the meaning of it?? Does the novel say (nightrider, I know you have the book, does it say anything). I would personally like to know so I'm not just some jackass using the callsign and not knowing the meaning of it.
Night Rider

Postby Jason Carlton » Wed Jul 14, 1999 7:56 am

In Reply to: Re: What's it mean?? posted by NightRider on July 14, 1999 at 15:00:41:

Actually, in MM1 Max says, "May, call Ziggy..."
Jason Carlton

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jul 14, 1999 10:22 am

In Reply to: Re: What's it mean?? posted by Jason Carlton on July 14, 1999 at 15:56:07:

That's the dubbed version, he actually says The Dark One in the real one.
TheDarkOne

Postby Peter Barton » Wed Jul 14, 1999 1:29 pm

In Reply to: Re: What's it mean?? posted by NightRider on July 14, 1999 at 15:00:41:

: The book never really comes right out and says it but it implies that somehow Max knows the Dark One. Maybe he is the partner that was supposed to be in the movie. He may have been transferred from breaker squad because of his age and lessening abilities, so maybe that is why Max's yellow XB says The Dark One on it.

He was meant to be Max's partner. In the original script he was either retired or off duty injured. Goose is talking about him in the roadhouse at the start of the movie "by the time we got to him he was sitting there with his face ripped off, trying to scream".

He owns the farmhouse, May is his wife. It seems they cut the character from the film before they even started filming, although they did obviously leave some of these references to him in.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Steve Pilant » Wed Jul 14, 1999 2:46 pm

In Reply to: Re: What's it mean?? posted by Peter Barton on July 14, 1999 at 21:29:33:

: : The book never really comes right out and says it but it implies that somehow Max knows the Dark One. Maybe he is the partner that was supposed to be in the movie. He may have been transferred from breaker squad because of his age and lessening abilities, so maybe that is why Max's yellow XB says The Dark One on it.

:

: He was meant to be Max's partner. In the original script he was either retired or off duty injured. Goose is talking about him in the roadhouse at the start of the movie "by the time we got to him he was sitting there with his face ripped off, trying to scream".

Goose's deportment is that of someone thinking an accident funny - as if describing some nomad road biker trash / scoot jockey. If The Dark One was Max's friend / partner - this would indicate that Goose and him either didn't get along, or that Goose was a pretty unsympathetic fellow. Perhaps in the original script, Goose was more somber when relaying the story of bouncing back through the windshield and this still put the other fella off from his food, which Goose then scraped onto his own plate.
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Postby Jason Carlton » Thu Jul 15, 1999 12:54 am

In Reply to: Re: What's it mean?? posted by TheDarkOne on July 14, 1999 at 18:22:31:

: That's the dubbed version, he actually says The Dark One in the real one.

Oops. I've only watched the original audio version twice. The dubbed version I've seen atleast once or twice a year for the past 10 years (1st saw it around age 15 or 16).
Jason Carlton

Postby Peter Barton » Sun Jul 18, 1999 11:52 am

In Reply to: Re: What's it mean?? posted by Steve Pilant on July 14, 1999 at 22:46:34:

Are you basing this comment on the original Australian dialogue version, or the dubbed version? Whoever did the dubbing obviously didn't know the characters, and didn't put the correct feeling into the dialogue at all.

I don't see Steve Bisley's acting / voice as being unsympathetic at all, just a bit of bar side story telling.

: Goose's deportment is that of someone thinking an accident funny - as if describing some nomad road biker trash / scoot jockey. If The Dark One was Max's friend / partner - this would indicate that Goose and him either didn't get along, or that Goose was a pretty unsympathetic fellow. Perhaps in the original script, Goose was more somber when relaying the story of bouncing back through the windshield and this still put the other fella off from his food, which Goose then scraped onto his own plate.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Return to General Movie Discussion