The old woman in Mad Max

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

The old woman in Mad Max

Postby Heimdal » Wed Jul 14, 1999 2:24 am

I was wondering, the old woman who lived out on the farm, what was her relation to Max and Jessie? Was she a relative, or did she just run an Inn or something? Lastly, and completely off the subject of Mad Max, has anyone read the new Thomas Harris book, Hannibal? I read it the other day. I thought it was excellent, but I thought the last 20 pages or so were a bit too strange, and I think he somewhat ruined Starling's character. I won't go into too much detail, for the sake of those who haven't read it, although I'm under the suspicion 99.9% of anyone reading this doesn't care, since they've come here to read about Max Max stuff. Hmm.. Gotta go, I think I left the kettle on.
Heimdal

Re: The old woman in Mad Max

Postby andre N » Wed Jul 14, 1999 2:53 am

In Reply to: The old woman in Mad Max posted by Heimdal on July 14, 1999 at 10:24:15:

I THINK she was a friend of the bearded MFP officer(leather jacket looked MFP) who examined Cundalini's hand. BTW, that cops car looked like some 30's era hot-rod (what little you could see anyway)

I think he says something like "May will be expecting you up at the farm".
andre N

Postby Night Rider » Wed Jul 14, 1999 3:54 am

In Reply to: Re: The old woman in Mad Max posted by AN on July 14, 1999 at 10:53:32:

In the novel it says that the MFP officer is The Dark One and that Max knows him. May is his ex-wife and owns the farm and Max arranged for he and Jessie to spend some time there.

: I THINK she was a friend of the bearded MFP officer(leather jacket looked MFP) who examined Cundalini's hand. BTW, that cops car looked like some 30's era hot-rod (what little you could see anyway)

: I think he says something like "May will be expecting you up at the farm".
Night Rider

Postby andre N » Wed Jul 14, 1999 4:24 am

In Reply to: Re: The old woman in Mad Max posted by NightRider on July 14, 1999 at 11:54:11:

Hey Nightrider, what is your impression of the Novel?

IE, was it published right after the movie with input from Miller and Kennedy, or was it a novelization that somebody wrote trying to paint a cohesive "world" based on the limited bits we get in the movie?

On someones webpage, they give a "history" of the MFP including explanations of why they use early 70's cars in what would have been the mid 80's or so. Pretty clever, but it sounds like after-the-fact rationalization of the use of old cheap (but very cool, mind you) cars. Was this from the novel

I think I am like many others who loved mad max and wished there was more information--what was happening? why are there forbidden area, why the MFP, how fast where the cars? etc etc, when unfortunately, this IS no information, it was only a movie.The closest you can "get" is to sit down with the creators and ask what they thought. Anything else, unfortunately, is pretty weak.
andre N

Postby Night Rider » Wed Jul 14, 1999 5:01 am

In Reply to: Re: The old woman in Mad Max posted by AN on July 14, 1999 at 12:24:21:

First of all I thought the novel was great.

Second, to answer your questions, it was released in 1979 right after the movie, I assume. It does coincide with the movie...to some extent. For instsnce, Goose is not in the opening chase. He stays at Fat Nancy's. It also describes the Halls of Justice in such a way that would make you think there were many officers, not just the 7 in the movie. It also goes into much greater detail about the daily life of Max, the Goose, Jessie, and even Goose's girlfriend. We find out that it was Goose's birthday 3 days before he died. That Jessie knew that ToeCutter was trying to kill Max before the Goose ever died.

About the MFP, it was created to stop the "Armalite Gangs" from hijacking shipments of gasoline on the Transcontinental One. The Breaker Squad was specially trained to be able to drive down and, if necessary, kill the gang members. They were equipped with 40 modified police compacts with "crude but effective" armour plating, long-range tanks and V-8s which could "put them over 150 miles an hour without protest." Only 89 out of the 100 recruits survived the "driving test" to enter Breaker Squad...Max was on of the survivors.

I think the forbidden areas were set up as routes for tanker trucks to follow as was the transcon one.

The page that you saw the history on would be the Mad Max Chronology. It is very in depth and gets most of the info from the books.

I suggest that anyone who is a Max fan needs to read the novel. I believe DanMan is putting it up on the internet soon. He already has the Road Warrior script on. Both are well worth the read. Hope this helps.

Remember the Night Rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: Hey Nightrider, what is your impression of the Novel?

: IE, was it published right after the movie with input from Miller and Kennedy, or was it a novelization that somebody wrote trying to paint a cohesive "world" based on the limited bits we get in the movie?

: On someones webpage, they give a "history" of the MFP including explanations of why they use early 70's cars in what would have been the mid 80's or so. Pretty clever, but it sounds like after-the-fact rationalization of the use of old cheap (but very cool, mind you) cars. Was this from the novel

: I think I am like many others who loved mad max and wished there was more information--what was happening? why are there forbidden area, why the MFP, how fast where the cars? etc etc, when unfortunately, this IS no information, it was only a movie.The closest you can "get" is to sit down with the creators and ask what they thought. Anything else, unfortunately, is pretty weak.
Night Rider

Postby roadwarriormfp » Wed Jul 14, 1999 8:21 pm

In Reply to: Re: The old woman in Mad Max posted by NightRider on July 14, 1999 at 13:01:18:

: First of all I thought the novel was great.

: Second, to answer your questions, it was released in 1979 right after the movie, I assume. It does coincide with the movie...to some extent. For instsnce, Goose is not in the opening chase. He stays at Fat Nancy's. It also describes the Halls of Justice in such a way that would make you think there were many officers, not just the 7 in the movie. It also goes into much greater detail about the daily life of Max, the Goose, Jessie, and even Goose's girlfriend. We find out that it was Goose's birthday 3 days before he died. That Jessie knew that ToeCutter was trying to kill Max before the Goose ever died.

: About the MFP, it was created to stop the "Armalite Gangs" from hijacking shipments of gasoline on the Transcontinental One. The Breaker Squad was specially trained to be able to drive down and, if necessary, kill the gang members. They were equipped with 40 modified police compacts with "crude but effective" armour plating, long-range tanks and V-8s which could "put them over 150 miles an hour without protest." Only 89 out of the 100 recruits survived the "driving test" to enter Breaker Squad...Max was on of the survivors.

: I think the forbidden areas were set up as routes for tanker trucks to follow as was the transcon one.

: The page that you saw the history on would be the Mad Max Chronology. It is very in depth and gets most of the info from the books.

: I suggest that anyone who is a Max fan needs to read the novel. I believe DanMan is putting it up on the internet soon. He already has the Road Warrior script on. Both are well worth the read. Hope this helps.

: Remember the Night Rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: : Hey Nightrider, what is your impression of the Novel?

: : IE, was it published right after the movie with input from Miller and Kennedy, or was it a novelization that somebody wrote trying to paint a cohesive "world" based on the limited bits we get in the movie?

: : On someones webpage, they give a "history" of the MFP including explanations of why they use early 70's cars in what would have been the mid 80's or so. Pretty clever, but it sounds like after-the-fact rationalization of the use of old cheap (but very cool, mind you) cars. Was this from the novel

: : I think I am like many others who loved mad max and wished there was more information--what was happening? why are there forbidden area, why the MFP, how fast where the cars? etc etc, when unfortunately, this IS no information, it was only a movie.The closest you can "get" is to sit down with the creators and ask what they thought. Anything else, unfortunately, is pretty weak.

I believe theres a reference to "Aunty May" by Max or Jessie in the movie...ill have to watch it again now!
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Return to General Movie Discussion