Even if Gibson doesn't want to?...

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Postby Redd4 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:21 pm

Fellow Maxians;

I just read T-dome's post about Gibson "not being interested" in doing MM4. I'd like your opinions.

Assuming contracts were signed and all the ducks were lined up, would you want Miller to legally force Gibson to do the film? I don't think he would, as that would ruin any friendship they have, but would you want Mel to do the movie under these circumstances?

For my part, I think I'd prefer Gibson want to do it. What do you think?
Redd4

Postby SCREWLOOSE » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:35 pm

From my selfish pont of view Id make him do it just to see the movie made!!!

But the risk is Mel gives a crap performance as Max!!! I wouldnt want the critics to say Fury Road is crap etc!!!

Id like Mel to do it and then he could close that part of his life if he wishes to do so!!! I just want to see what happened after Thunderdome then I will be happy!!!
Pray hes out there!!
SCREWLOOSE

Postby Uncle Entity » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:47 pm

No. I wanna see a great, unforgettable performance as Max. Don't wanna see a guy forced to play Max. It wouldn't work.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Thunderdome » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:16 pm

Yeah, I would definitely want Mel to be excited about doing it and sign up for it...oh wait...he already did that.

The thing that bothers me about this whole thing is that Mel did the secret readings of the script with Miller and whoever else was there and signed up for it. Then he suddenly thinks the script is trite and is no longer interested. I just don't get it.

So anyway, I wouldn't want Miller or the studio to force him to do it because then that would ruin the Miller-Gibson friendship and even if he still gave a good performance, we may still get the sense that he isn't into the role when we watch it.

As far as the Gibson-Miller friendship, if I was George Miller, I'd be absolutely infuriated right now. He spent three years writing the script, not even really knowing if Gibson would do it, met with Gibson for readings, Gibson agrees to come back, the movie is greenlit, then Gibson backs out. I'd be extremely mad right now if I were Miller.

Thunderdome

We don't need another hero...we've got MAD MAX
Thunderdome

Postby Anklecranker » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:00 pm

For the record Mel didnt say the script was trite. He said playing reoccuring franchized type characters was trite.

Anklecranker

Postby Uncle Entity » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Quote: Originally posted by Anklecranker on 18 March 2004

For the record Mel didnt say the script was trite. He said playing reoccuring franchized type characters was trite.

That's damn true.

Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Thunderdome » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:13 pm

Quote: Originally posted by Anklecranker on 18 March 2004

Oh, well I could have sworn that the guy who originally posted it on the imdb message board said that Gibson thought the script itself was trite.

But I'd rather believe what you're saying because it's true, playing reoccuring characters is not that great after a while. I'd like to think Mel loved the script.

Thunderdome

Thunderdome

Postby Redd4 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:01 pm

Thanks for the replies all.

SCREWLOOSE: I understand your pain--and agree with you about the risk of a crap performance. If I was Mel, I'd give it a real go, with the understanding of Miller that this is the last one.

And damn it all, folks, I just don't think of the MM films as a 'franchise'. Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, yeah, but not Max. Semantics, I know. Maybe it's just me.
Redd4

Postby Thunderdome » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 pm

Redd4,

You're right, Max is not a franchise. Back in those days there weren't really a lot of "franchises" yet. Sure, we had movies like Bond, Rocky, Star Wars, etc. but when it comes to Max, Miller didn't even think about RW until he heard the response to Max and how people considered him as such a hero. Then a few years after that BT was released and that's it.

Even if you look at the money itself. Yes, they were successful in some parts of the world, but definitely not here in America, where MM made $8M, RW made $23M, and BT made $36M. Even when adjusted because of inflation, the numbers aren't big enough to consider the films a hugely successful franchise.

Obviously, of course, money has nothing to do with the quality of the films because we all know they're cinematic masterpieces that are highly influential. But anyway, no I wouldn't really consider Mad Max a franchise. I think that 20th Century Fox was counting on FR doing good box office, but in no way did Miller say there would be a bunch of new Mad Max films, just this fourth one.

Hopefully this all makes sense Image

Thunderdome
Thunderdome

Postby FordMercury » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:44 am

Well im still hoping that Mel might do it, i mean lets see this movie is begging to be made, for a serie of movies that werent that sucessful at the theatres there's a lot of pple begging to see the movie being made, heck just go to imdb Fury Road page and youll see people coming and asking every freaking day........and i dont think Mel will say no to Miller, and the fact that Brendan McCarthy just cant talk about the movie because of NDA's is making believe that the target release in the imdb page is going to be correct one, 2005.......this, if Mel doesnt really care much for money because right now i dont think he'll need any....
FordMercury

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road