The End of Johnny the Boy

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

The End of Johnny the Boy

Postby Road Samurai » Tue Jul 13, 1999 10:58 am

I found the violent death of Johnny the Boy as a necessary evil, but I thought the deed of killing him didn't have to be so evil. I mean, Johnny the Boy seems to be just that...a little boy, unable to cope with the very adult world he has found himself in ("I can't stand the pain!"). He strikes me as the son of a rich couple, a spoiled brat (he dresses like one of priviledge). But, he seems lost and unsatisfied. I think maybe he has some kind of trauma from his childhood (like being abused) and that is why is has mental problems ("I'm sick, see. Psychopathic--you know, personality disorders! The Judge, man, he said so!") I think Johnny the Boy maybe went out searching for the TC's or else they fell upon him (quite likely the way TC talks about Johnny's sweet, sweet mouth) and over time he became one of them (like the Toadie from MM2, who in many ways resembles Johnny). But, Johnny did help the TC's kill Jessie and Sprog (he is there at the farm, and on the road coming towards Jessie, but if you watch the film closely as the bikers scream by after the murder only six bikes are visible, where there were seven apparent as they turned the curve in the chase. Johhny is not innocent, but his death should have been quick and relatively painless. I know, I know--what about The Goose, his death was far from quick and painless, but Johnny didn't want to do that, and I think all he wanted was to see Goose "look silly" (a very childish statement, don't you think). TC tormented him, made him unstable by manipulating him, until he did what they wanted. He deserved to die, just not the way he did. A better way would have been the way TC died, and TC deserved above all else a slow and agonizing death. Now that my opinions are out of the way, I have some questions. Couldn't Johnny have just taken a boot and flung it at the lighter and knocked it out of the way and off? Didn't Max secure the lighter with his MFP name plate or ID number (even if he did, a boot would knock the entire assembly down no problem). I don't think Johnny killed the truck's driver, he is a chickenshit (Bubba said so!!) and incapable of bravado unless he has some muscle with him (that includes asshole shister lawyers or "people's observers", they deserved slow deaths too). Also, when Max and Goose pull up in the dubbed version I think Johnny's voice is undubbed when he mumbles "Nightrider, Nightrider" as they drive past. In the Aussie version, does Johnny say "mate" or "man" when pleading with Max to spare his life. In the dub, he says "Listen, man, will you listen to me. I had nothing to do with what was goin on back there, man"..etc. It looks like he's actually saying "mate". which would jibe with how aussie's talk. Am I right? About anything?
Road Samurai

Re: The End of Johnny the Boy

Postby TheDarkOne » Tue Jul 13, 1999 12:34 pm

In Reply to: The End of Johnny the Boy posted by Road Samurai on July 13, 1999 at 18:58:42:

First I think Toecutter died a pretty agonizing death. Being chased down and run into a land train seems pretty bad (did you see how he kept looking back when the interceptor caught up to him, he was scared shitless). So he died pretty horribly. As for Johnny, who cares if he ran in with the wrong crowd, he can still decide for himself. Besides, if someone killded your wife and son would you really want to be humane. Oh I know, lets not kill Johnny, or lets kill him quickly. If someone killded my wife and son, I would do the same damn thing Max did. About the boot knocking over the lighter, the only problem I can see is what if he knocks it right into the gasoline, if he tried to escape at least he doesn't kill himself.
TheDarkOne

Postby Bubba Fett » Tue Jul 13, 1999 1:28 pm

In Reply to: The End of Johnny the Boy posted by Road Samurai on July 13, 1999 at 18:58:42:

That's exactly what I was getting at, although in my letter (07/06/99) I didn't make my point as well supported as you did. I agree with both sides of the issue, in that Yes, I can see killing him (only in a movie, I don't espouse murder), but I agree, his demise was a tad bit harsh. However, I also agree with what the famous Steve Pilant said in response to my letter, which was Max was no longer Mr Nice Guy, he was Mad, he had officially lost it. He wasn't as bad as the vermin he killed, but he wasn't exactly a good guy either, not by a long shot. He was a very pissed off, cold guy.

: I found the violent death of Johnny the Boy as a necessary evil, but I thought the deed of killing him didn't have to be so evil. I mean, Johnny the Boy seems to be just that...a little boy, unable to cope with the very adult world he has found himself in ("I can't stand the pain!"). He strikes me as the son of a rich couple, a spoiled brat (he dresses like one of priviledge). But, he seems lost and unsatisfied. I think maybe he has some kind of trauma from his childhood (like being abused) and that is why is has mental problems ("I'm sick, see. Psychopathic--you know, personality disorders! The Judge, man, he said so!") I think Johnny the Boy maybe went out searching for the TC's or else they fell upon him (quite likely the way TC talks about Johnny's sweet, sweet mouth) and over time he became one of them (like the Toadie from MM2, who in many ways resembles Johnny). But, Johnny did help the TC's kill Jessie and Sprog (he is there at the farm, and on the road coming towards Jessie, but if you watch the film closely as the bikers scream by after the murder only six bikes are visible, where there were seven apparent as they turned the curve in the chase. Johhny is not innocent, but his death should have been quick and relatively painless. I know, I know--what about The Goose, his death was far from quick and painless, but Johnny didn't want to do that, and I think all he wanted was to see Goose "look silly" (a very childish statement, don't you think). TC tormented him, made him unstable by manipulating him, until he did what they wanted. He deserved to die, just not the way he did. A better way would have been the way TC died, and TC deserved above all else a slow and agonizing death. Now that my opinions are out of the way, I have some questions. Couldn't Johnny have just taken a boot and flung it at the lighter and knocked it out of the way and off? Didn't Max secure the lighter with his MFP name plate or ID number (even if he did, a boot would knock the entire assembly down no problem). I don't think Johnny killed the truck's driver, he is a chickenshit (Bubba said so!!) and incapable of bravado unless he has some muscle with him (that includes asshole shister lawyers or "people's observers", they deserved slow deaths too). Also, when Max and Goose pull up in the dubbed version I think Johnny's voice is undubbed when he mumbles "Nightrider, Nightrider" as they drive past. In the Aussie version, does Johnny say "mate" or "man" when pleading with Max to spare his life. In the dub, he says "Listen, man, will you listen to me. I had nothing to do with what was goin on back there, man"..etc. It looks like he's actually saying "mate". which would jibe with how aussie's talk. Am I right? About anything?
Bubba Fett

Postby Jason Carlton » Wed Jul 14, 1999 1:42 am

Yeah, if Johnny had the brains or resourcefulness, he'd thrown things from the truck, or rocks, etc. at the makeshift lighter timebomb. Then worked on the high-tinsel cuffs as long as he needed. I believe Darwin fits nicely in the world of Mad Max - only the strongest and smartest of a species survive...
Jason Carlton

Return to General Movie Discussion