Looking for an interceptor State Side

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Looking for an interceptor State Side

Postby Mike Pony Poniatowski » Wed Jul 07, 1999 6:00 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows of an Australian built '73 Ford Falcon thats for sale in the United States? Please let me know. Or if anyone has an idea of the cost to purchase/import one? Thanks...Mike
Mike Pony Poniatowski

Re: Looking for an interceptor State Side

Postby Steve Pilant » Wed Jul 07, 1999 9:32 pm

In Reply to: Looking for an interceptor State Side posted by Mike Pony Poniatowski on July 08, 1999 at 02:00:36:

: I was wondering if anyone knows of an Australian built '73 Ford Falcon thats for sale in the United States? Please let me know. Or if anyone has an idea of the cost to purchase/import one? Thanks...Mike

Mike, Hemmings Motor News is the bible of the collectible car hobby. Everything from original Batmobiles to classic cars of multi makes are in there monthly. Wanna buy an Indy car? You can get one in Hemmings. Wanna buy a Duesenberg, rare Ferrari, Shelby, Vette or other similar car? They're in there too. I would suggest this if you are looking to acquire a car already in the states. Otherwise, your best bets are to get one from Australia. I recommend since you do not want to be doing a lot of parts back and forth between America and Australia that you get an excellent version up front and not a beater. This will cost more, but in the long run may be well worth it. A fixer-upper would be best for someone living in Australia I think. See you on the road Bronze. Regs, Steve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Postby Odin's Hamster » Fri Jul 09, 1999 12:22 am

In Reply to: Looking for an interceptor State Side posted by Mike Pony Poniatowski on July 08, 1999 at 02:00:36:

I think if you import one, you should just worry about the condition of the body, and ditch the engine. If something goes wrong with it, it will cost a fortune each time, as well as be inconveinent having to order parts from Austrailia. Replace the engine with some more common american engine, a V-8 of course. I did this with my 67 camaro, and it paid off in the long run in terms of maintenance. Of course, this will cost you a few bucks, but as I mentioned, you'll probaly save money in the long run. There are of course cars you could buy here that resemble Falcons, such as Torinos, Mustang Mach 1's, etc. although I'm sure you'd want the real deal. Good luck.
Odin's Hamster

Postby Dave Boboc » Fri Jul 09, 1999 4:17 pm

In Reply to: Re: Looking for an interceptor State Side posted by Steve Pilant on July 08, 1999 at 05:32:41:

: : I was wondering if anyone knows of an Australian built '73 Ford Falcon thats for sale in the United States? Please let me know. Or if anyone has an idea of the cost to purchase/import one? Thanks...Mike

Mike,

I don't think there would be a problem with the engines; the XB's used Cleveland motors which were pretty much the same as the U.S. motors but with beefier castings. The last U.S. Clevelands were built in '73, then the tooling was shipped to Australia, where they were built well into the 80's.
Dave Boboc

Postby Steve Pilant » Sat Jul 10, 1999 3:45 pm

In Reply to: Re: Looking for an interceptor State Side posted by Odin's Hamster on July 09, 1999 at 08:22:13:

: I think if you import one, you should just worry about the condition of the body, and ditch the engine. If something goes wrong with it, it will cost a fortune each time, as well as be inconveinent having to order parts from Austrailia. Replace the engine with some more common american engine, a V-8 of course. I did this with my 67 camaro, and it paid off in the long run in terms of maintenance. Of course, this will cost you a few bucks, but as I mentioned, you'll probaly save money in the long run. There are of course cars you could buy here that resemble Falcons, such as Torinos, Mustang Mach 1's, etc. although I'm sure you'd want the real deal. Good luck.

Keep in mind that since the XB's used 302's, 351's etc - ditching an engine altogether may not be a wise proposition - especially the Aussie heads which some like stateside. Most engine and drivetrain parts could be ordered stateside. Many of the parts will be interchangeable with the stateside Clevelands and Windsors, so be careful what you throw away, unlesss of course you're throwing it my way. :-) regs, Steve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

Re: Ford Engine Information

Postby Steve Pilant » Sat Jul 10, 1999 3:55 pm

In Reply to: Re: Looking for an interceptor State Side posted by Dave Boboc on July 10, 1999 at 00:17:34:

:

: : : I was wondering if anyone knows of an Australian built '73 Ford Falcon thats for sale in the United States? Please let me know. Or if anyone has an idea of the cost to purchase/import one? Thanks...Mike

: Mike,

: I don't think there would be a problem with the engines; the XB's used Cleveland motors which were pretty much the same as the U.S. motors but with beefier castings. The last U.S. Clevelands were built in '73, then the tooling was shipped to Australia, where they were built well into the 80's.

An excellent resource which is one of my best bookmarks is the following:

http://www.wrljet.com/engines/cleveland.html

This is just the page to the Clevelands, but the site covers cammers, prototype engines, you name it. This is the best internet site I've seen for Ford engine enthusiasts, to include some specs - Aussie & American. It could use a litle updating on the Aussie informational side I think though if some down under have things they could contribute?

I would like to see pix of a 4 bolt main thicker casting Aussie Cleveland block myself so I could see the differences between it and its Amerian counterpart.

Regs,

Steve
Steve Pilant

Return to General Movie Discussion