Did Johny the boy deserve to die?

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Did Johny the boy deserve to die?

Postby Bubba Fett » Tue Jul 06, 1999 1:25 pm

Me and my friend have this dispute about whether Johny the Boy deserved to be torched by Max. Yeah, Ok, Johny did play a large role in getting goose roasted, but it should be noted he didn't want to do it. Its also apparent that Johny wasn't all that terribly bright, and he was a drug head. The way I see it, he just fell in with a really scummy crowd, and really didn't know any better. It also should be noted that he wasn't with them when they ran over Max's wife and kid. He did deserve to be punished, but the way Max went about it, was just a bit too cold. It would have been more humane to just shoot him.
Bubba Fett

Re: Did Johny the boy deserve to die?

Postby TheDarkOne » Tue Jul 06, 1999 2:04 pm

In Reply to: Did Johny the boy deserve to die? posted by Bubba Fett on July 06, 1999 at 21:25:04:

That's why they call it MAD MAX, how cool would it be if he was humane Max? Give Toecutter a stern warning instead of killing him, that would be lame. Besides who would want the movie to end with Max just shooting him and leaving, the way Johnny died was awesome. Not to mention it showed how Max was drifing from civility and becoming "mad." Long story short, yes johnny deserved to die.
TheDarkOne

Postby Jon » Tue Jul 06, 1999 2:33 pm

In Reply to: Did Johny the boy deserve to die? posted by Bubba Fett on July 06, 1999 at 21:25:04:

Up until a couple of years ago I had a TV version of Mad Max, it didn't show the part where Johnny refused to torch the Goose. I always thought he deserved it until I got a version from the store that had all the usual parts in it, then the same question came to my mind, wether or not. Dark One put it well about being Humane Max, Johnny did throw the rim at the truck and all, but hey, what a better ending to a great movie to have Max kill the guy in a neat MacGuyver sort of way that made one of the movies all time memorable lines.
Jon

Postby Steve Pilant » Tue Jul 06, 1999 6:52 pm

: Me and my friend have this dispute about whether Johny the Boy deserved to be torched by Max. Yeah, Ok, Johny did play a large role in getting goose roasted, but it should be noted he didn't want to do it. Its also apparent that Johny wasn't all that terribly bright, and he was a drug head. The way I see it, he just fell in with a really scummy crowd, and really didn't know any better. It also should be noted that he wasn't with them when they ran over Max's wife and kid. He did deserve to be punished, but the way Max went about it, was just a bit too cold. It would have been more humane to just shoot him.

Johnny may or may not have raped the girl in the Chevy. He seemed happy enough to stay there after the fact with her chained up and terrified while he shot up a bit. Perhaps he would have "had his way with her" at his leisure (had Max & Goose not shown up) and was keeping her tied up for this reason. Also - the brake drum through the window was more than enough to take someone's head off - he just missed by a little bit. Here the writing fails a bit IMO. He can be unafraid enough to take Gooses head off with the brake drum and try to kill him via bike sabotage, but afraid to torch him? Johnny may have been the newbie to the gang, but he was certainly well "on his way". His plan to kill Goose by messing with Gooses bike was certainly cold and calculating as well. Goose was just lucky as hell on that one. Whereas other gang members would attack one straight on, Johnny always took the sneaky and easy way out, but was just as guilty of the same attempted outcomes. I've always wondered if perhaps the cabaret singer may have helped setup Goose. I really feel no empathy for Johhny's character. Max gave Johnny a choice at least.
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

I guess you're right.

Postby Bubba Fett » Wed Jul 07, 1999 1:19 am

In Reply to: Re: Did Johny the boy deserve to die? posted by Steve Pilant on July 07, 1999 at 02:52:27:

: Johnny may or may not have raped the girl in the Chevy. He seemed happy enough to stay there after the fact with her chained up and terrified while he shot up a bit. Perhaps he would have "had his way with her" at his leisure (had Max & Goose not shown up) and was keeping her tied up for this reason. Also - the brake drum through the window was more than enough to take someone's head off - he just missed by a little bit. Here the writing fails a bit IMO. He can be unafraid enough to take Gooses head off with the brake drum and try to kill him via bike sabotage, but afraid to torch him? Johnny may have been the newbie to the gang, but he was certainly well "on his way". His plan to kill Goose by messing with Gooses bike was certainly cold and calculating as well. Goose was just lucky as hell on that one. Whereas other gang members would attack one straight on, Johnny always took the sneaky and easy way out, but was just as guilty of the same attempted outcomes. I've always wondered if perhaps the cabaret singer may have helped setup Goose. I really feel no empathy for Johhny's character. Max gave Johnny a choice at least.

Yes, I suppose you're right, although I think it would have been even cooler if Max had Bar-B-Q'd Toecutter instead. To see the big bad Toecutter beg for mercy would have been even more entertaining.
Bubba Fett

Re: I guess you're right.

Postby some guy » Thu Jul 08, 1999 11:15 am

In Reply to: I guess you're right. posted by Bubba Fett on July 07, 1999 at 09:19:48:

:Yes, I suppose you're right, although I think it would have been even cooler if Max had Bar-B-Q'd Toecutter instead. To see the big bad Toecutter beg for mercy would have been even more entertaining.

I don't think that what happened to Johnny could have happened to the Toecutter. Johnny was a wuss and didn't fight back. Toecutter was crazy and if that happened to him he would have fought Max. amd max would loose from his bum leg. I like the ending with Johnny.
some guy

Return to General Movie Discussion