dubbing

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

dubbing

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jun 30, 1999 7:12 am

I think that some of the souns in the us version are dubbed, but I am not sure because I don't have the aussie version yet. But in the scene where Max is after the Toecutter in the black interceptor, the toecutter guns his engine to get away, max does the same and there is a peeling out sound. They were already going pretty damn fast and to smoke the tyres at that speed is tough, especially when the car didn't really have a supercharger. Also in the opening chase when Max plays chicken in the yellow interceptor, he j-turns and goes back after the nightrider. The sound for the peel out in that scene is like 10 seconds long, it seemed a little fake even for that car. Any thoughts.
TheDarkOne

Re: dubbing

Postby Jon » Wed Jun 30, 1999 9:42 am

In Reply to: dubbing posted by TheDarkOne on June 30, 1999 at 15:12:37:

Squealing tires at that speed is not as tough as you think, you just have to have one fast car. Our '68 Dodge Charger R/T (440ci, 12.5:1 comp ratio, 10.5 1/4 mi @ 132 mph) can lay rubber at around 90 mph. You just gotta have one more gear to shift up on, and punch the gas at the right time. But the one in the movie could have been dubbed for effect to make the car sound stronger than it really was.
Jon

Re: dubbing/Horsepower/reality

Postby andre N » Wed Jun 30, 1999 1:16 pm

In Reply to: Re: dubbing posted by Jon on June 30, 1999 at 17:42:04:

Virtually all movie sounds are dubbed with the exception of dialog, and even that is often dubbed or "re-looped"--sometimes noticeably. This is for many reasons--it can be difficult to cleanly pickup outdoor sound, avoid unwanted sounds getting picked up, and deal with the "wind rush" sounds you'd get if you tried filming and recording at anything over a walking pace. That is why you hear so much wind noise in TV news reports and amateur video, it is one of the few instance where we hear the "real" soundtrack. That is also why, as a car-guy, you will often notice many inconsistencies in apparent engine sound vs reality (ie cop car sounding like 7000 rpm racecar, car sound of acceleration when car clearly isn;t, etc) .

I had the US and OZ version of MM, both have the suspect burnout sound described. Remember, nobody was really recording and two, the toecutter pursuit scene is sped up anyway.

Re the possibility of that kind of performance, I agree with John. In fact in the 30's Auto-Union (Audi forerunner) campaigned a race car with a 640 hp V16 which could spin its tires on dry pavement at 150 mph. If the interceptor had "600 horses" (which it didn't it was a movie) tire-spin at speed is more than possible.

Last smartass note: Re the sounds, as someone who has enjoyed the wasting of many miles of tire tread, tires only squeal when undergoing small amounts of relative slip, maybe 10 mph, when your tire speed exceeds your roadspeed by a large amount, the sound is something more akin to a hiss. For example,you may get squealing tires at 60 moph rounding a curve, but the slip is to the side at a relatively small speed

, when you do a massive burnout (Jon?) you will get a whining hiss that turns into a squeal just as the tires begin to "hook uP".

Phew! this is a lot of typing.
andre N

wasting tyres

Postby TheDarkOne » Wed Jun 30, 1999 5:30 pm

In Reply to: Re: dubbing/Horsepower/reality posted by andreN on June 30, 1999 at 21:16:23:

When you smoke the tyres on a car with a lot of HP, you get the peel out for a bit, then no matter what the tyres will grip the road due to the speed you achieve. Then when you shift you get another peel out, but it is not continuous. Depending on the rate you go you can get a small peel out going into third, but that is tough unless you really try, or unless you have McLaren F1. Either way it's not a big deal, it's just a movie and it was and still is cool to think that the interceptor can do that.
TheDarkOne

Re: dubbing

Postby Steve Pilant » Wed Jun 30, 1999 7:47 pm

In Reply to: dubbing posted by TheDarkOne on June 30, 1999 at 15:12:37:

: I think that some of the souns in the us version are dubbed, but I am not sure because I don't have the aussie version yet. But in the scene where Max is after the Toecutter in the black interceptor, the toecutter guns his engine to get away, max does the same and there is a peeling out sound. They were already going pretty damn fast and to smoke the tyres at that speed is tough, especially when the car didn't really have a supercharger. Also in the opening chase when Max plays chicken in the yellow interceptor, he j-turns and goes back after the nightrider. The sound for the peel out in that scene is like 10 seconds long, it seemed a little fake even for that car. Any thoughts.

The sqealing I heard on the US version sounded more like a fan belt type noise than a tyre. No telling what Foley artists used for the FX. As far as tyre spin, the tyres on Max' yellow XB sounded too high a pitch. My Mustang used to have L60-14's which were a bit wide and when I turned them over, they made more of a "roar" than a typical tyre squeal - a lower pitched note more like a truck might make. regs,

Stve
Gotta hand it to ya treasure - the last of the V8 interceptors. Woulda been a shame to blow it up...
Steve Pilant

It does sound like a loose belt

Postby Randall » Thu Jul 08, 1999 7:17 am

In Reply to: Re: dubbing posted by Steve Pilant on July 01, 1999 at 03:47:56:

: : I think that some of the souns in the us version are dubbed, but I am not sure because I don't have the aussie version yet. But in the scene where Max is after the Toecutter in the black interceptor, the toecutter guns his engine to get away, max does the same and there is a peeling out sound. They were already going pretty damn fast and to smoke the tyres at that speed is tough, especially when the car didn't really have a supercharger. Also in the opening chase when Max plays chicken in the yellow interceptor, he j-turns and goes back after the nightrider. The sound for the peel out in that scene is like 10 seconds long, it seemed a little fake even for that car. Any thoughts.

: The sqealing I heard on the US version sounded more like a fan belt type noise than a tyre. No telling what Foley artists used for the FX. As far as tyre spin, the tyres on Max' yellow XB sounded too high a pitch. My Mustang used to have L60-14's which were a bit wide and when I turned them over, they made more of a "roar" than a typical tyre squeal - a lower pitched note more like a truck might make. regs,

: Stve
Randall

Return to General Movie Discussion