Mechanics of the Extra Tanks.

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Mechanics of the Extra Tanks.

Postby Jason Carlton » Thu Jul 08, 1999 1:29 am

In light of the gas tank theft, it brouht me to an old question I've had. Were the Interceptor spare tanks supposed to funnel gas down to the main tank on the chassis? Or did the gas just sit idle until it was drawn out of the tanks, then manually pumped into the chassis tank? Both ways seem to be pain to operate. For all 3 tanks to interconnect, you would have to drill 2 holes into the floor of the trunk, then into the main tank and create a sealed fuel line between them all. To manually pump gas out of the spares would create a potential waste. How would you get to the small puddle of gas at the bottom as the tank became empty...?
Jason Carlton

Re: Mechanics of the Extra Tanks.

Postby andre N » Thu Jul 08, 1999 3:48 am

In Reply to: Mechanics of the Extra Tanks. posted by Jason Carlton on July 08, 1999 at 09:29:00:

The answer is "it was a movie".
andre N

Postby Jason Carlton » Thu Jul 08, 1999 7:06 am

In Reply to: Re: Mechanics of the Extra Tanks. posted by AN on July 08, 1999 at 11:48:38:

: The answer is "it was a movie".

I figured that since the tanks on the stand-in car are gone, it might bring to light "secret mechanics" on how extra tanks would work. Then again, if the Interceptor had a false supercharger, the tanks probably just sat there.
Jason Carlton

Postby andre N » Thu Jul 08, 1999 1:46 pm

In Reply to: Re: Mechanics of the Extra Tanks. posted by Jason Carlton on July 08, 1999 at 15:06:41:

OK. Jason, Ihope I didn't sound snotty. I think we all can agree it is "just" a movie. There is no "secret". You tie both auxiliary tanks together at the bottom and pipe into original fill line or directly into tank, blanking off gas cap ( otherwise gas will flow out the cap). This is simple as you don't have to touch the fuel line under the car. The only "trick" you want to remember is to vent the tanks to allow air to replace the fuel used, or the tanks will look like "results of anxiety".
andre N

Return to General Movie Discussion