mad max front nose where to get in australia?

Like the name says...

Postby Knightman » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:53 am

ImageG'day mate, Im looking around for an xb at the moment and would like to know where u can buy the mad max front nose? and how much they cost??

Im not sure if im going to do a full blown interceptor replica but a custom version..

thanks again..

knightman
Theres nothing better than a V8 under the bonnet...
Knightman

Postby Anklecranker » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:40 pm

The best I've seen was made by Rod Horner in Indiana, US.

It looks strong enough to stand on. He sells a complete kit with all flares and spoilers.
Anklecranker

Postby Dave D » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:52 pm

Knightman,

Have a look under the Building a replica link on this site & you'll see a some links to who in Australia can source you the bit's you'd need.

good luck in the XB hunt.

Dave.
Dave D

Postby Knightman » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:30 pm

Thanks, its still way off yet but who knows oneday,

my dream cars are Madmax interceptor , kitt from knightrider, the general lee, a-team and

the blues brothers car..

Knightman

Postby Mitch » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:23 am

Kitt? Kitt...? There's no accounting for taste... "David Hasselhoff, remember him when you look up into the night sky." Yuk.

Anybody ever build a Mach 5 replica? I had plans for one of my late '70's Camaros, but never followed thru. Somebody restored the original Black Beauty from The Green Hornet. Looks nice! Of course, there's a few Batmobiles running around. I have this crazy idea for a freeway duel between the Interceptor and the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Peter Barton » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:47 am

Knightman, I gather you're in Australia - which state are you in? As Dave D suggested, taking a look through the Building a Replca section is your best starting point. There are at least 3 or 4 people in Australia making these fronts now, and there is obviously some variation in price, quality, and accuracy to the original. It's worth spending the time doing some research before you start spending any $$$.

Ankle, I was able to meet up with Rod last week on his trip down here, and it was interesting to hear his comments on the various kits around. He thought that the front on Charles Flender's LAST-V8 for example was too weak. Note that the LAST-V8 front was an original Arcadipane article made by Peter himself, and is identical in every respect to the movie car. I saw (and drove) that car myself when it was still in Australia, and I never had any such concerns about the strength of that front - but I certainly wouldn't have tried standing on it. From what I understand now it's more a cultural difference than anything - Peter Arcadipane's original design was on the mark for the local market here, but possibly needs some adaptation to be accepted in other countries (some 20 years later!).

Again though it's just another trade off - as I've always told people (and recommend once again to Knightman), build the car you are happy with. If you want movie accuracy then go for it, but if anything about the original design doesn't meet up to your standards for other reasons, then don't hesitate to vary from that - make the car that makes you happy. If everyone was building the exact movie car it would all be a bit stale anyway, it's good to have some variety.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby Intceptbuilder » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:37 pm

Hi All..

Standing on the front end does sound impressive but in fact it is no big deal, once you construct the right bracket as per Mad Max two the standing on the bumper trick is easy. Hell I (me) at 94 kilos, 210 pound could easily stand (even bounce) on the front end bumper of both the Washington and the Los Angeles car's.

Grant pulls them (entire built up cars) round the workshop by the vents at the front of the monza nose.

I think that Peter is right, have a big look around, if you want movie accurate then it is available, so is movie inaccurate (often advertised as accurate), so know your topic, and know what you want in yourself. Once there was no choice, but now it can be a bit of a mine field so now you need to know your topic and desired result even before you start.

Peter is also correct in that 100% movie accurate does not need to be the final target. For me it is, because a replica was the dream. But look at people like George Kritty, George made a great wild looking coupe in the Mad Max style. Capturing that distinctive "Road Warrior" - Mad Max" style is just as important a contribution to the legacy, perhaps these days as much as any replica is.

Once you start on the building you are in for a long haul, beyond the money, time, and commitment there are still traps. If you have ever built-up a car of any description, or spoken to people who have .. then you will know the horror stories.

So all the best with the project, but just the same.. have fun. If it is not fun it is nothing.

Cheers

Gordon.[/font]
cheers

Gordon
Intceptbuilder

Postby Knightman » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:09 pm

thanks for the replies, its gonna take some time finding the right car before i even think about the nose, im currently restoring my xy so i know what its like working on cars, hmm , reminds me to fix that temp gauge

Knightman

Postby Scar2783 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:34 am

If you you want a Kitt car than here's the site for you, Knightman. Bring lots of money :

http://markscustomkits.com/
"She's Meaness Put To Music And The Bitch Is Born To Run!"
Scar2783

Postby Knightman » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:45 pm

yeah, i know about the knight rider stuff, Think im gonna need a bigger garage..lol the main reason im considering a madmax falcon is 1, tranams downunder at kitts type are hard to find , and over priced, in america there around $5k, but here there $16-30 k , plus u have to get them right hand drive converted. Ill be happy with a falcon, Im a ford man at heart.. oh i have been considering a crossover, madmax out side, kitt stuff inside, just a thought.. Knightman
Knightman

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars