News on the Fury Road sequel: "The Wasteland" !!!

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: News on the Fury Road sequel: "The Wasteland" !!!

Postby Taipan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 am

To be honest, I don't think it means anything really, although I haven't asked anyone close to Miller if things are gearing up someone probably would've mentioned something. I'll ask around just in case.

EDIT:
As I suspected. Got info from multiple people higher up, nothing's gearing up for Mad Max 5, nobody's been contacted about anything. I only got some rumors that aren't worth mentioning. One interesting bit of info is that with the amount of work, if folks were contacted today, it would take about 5 years to get the movie into the theaters. And that the movie would be filmed in Australia this time around because WB want full control over it. They can't be sending their folks to Namibia whenever something happens and trust me some stuff did happen in Namibia that pissed WB off, financially and the way actors carried themselves let's put it that way.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby AquaCola » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Damn, it seemed a bit too good to be true. 5 years sounds reasonable for a film like that to get to the big screen but lets be honest, we all know its very unlikely right now.
AquaCola

M

Postby Johnentwistlespout2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:35 pm

The idea of a Mad Max film not directed by George Miller is something that is almost incomprehensible to me. But the idea of a Mad Max not starring Mel Gibson would also have been a few years ago.
In an ideal world I would like Miller to pass on the reigns to a person not a studio. Someone who takes on the responsibility and accepts it is for life :)
I wonder whether that person could be Edgar Wright. He's obsessed with Mad Max (see his 2015 quote as an Oscar voter ("Hey @TheAcademy, I don't even need the voting form. Put me down for 'Fury Road' in all categories. Even Documentary.") and sought Miller's views during the making of his latest film Baby Driver:

'During pre-production, Wright also consulted with a modern master of practical automotive action: director George Miller, whose 2015 film Mad Max: Fury Road took on-location car chases to a bonkers level of visceral thrills. The two filmmakers met during Miller’s promotional tour for Fury Road, and after a screening and Wright-hosted Q&A, they had dinner. Wright and Miller stayed in touch afterward, and the elder writer/director offered up some insight that helped shape the production of Baby Driver.
“He recommended the particular rig that we used — it’s called the Pursuit Crane, which is a camera crane on a car for shooting car chases,” Wright says. “It’s rigged on a smallish car, and it can weave in the traffic with the other stunt cars, and you get these amazing shots. A lot of those shots in the movie, where you’re really low to the ground and close to the cars as they’re coming ‘round corners and weaving in between, that’s all from that same arm, and that’s the same one they used on Fury Road.
Miller and Wright stayed in touch, too. “In fact, actually, after I finished the first edit of the movie I showed it to George,” Wright said. “I’ve been very lucky to get George Miller’s input.”

Any thoughts?

Oh, and BTW isn't it about time we had a MM5 thread on these forums...rather than having to post to Fury Road?
Johnentwistlespout2

Re: M

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 am

Johnentwistlespout2 wrote:The idea of a Mad Max film not directed by George Miller is something that is almost incomprehensible to me. But the idea of a Mad Max not starring Mel Gibson would also have been a few years ago.

So true...

In general I'm not completely against this idea, probably there are a few directors (beside Edgar Wright, Mel Gibson comes to my mind) who can do a proper MM movie
but without George Miller in charge theres always a great danger that Warner Bros. will mess up with the whole franchise.

I'm afraid at this point we won't see anything new from Miller for the rest of this decade, whether Mad Max or his mentioned 'smaller' film.
If we are lucky maybe someday we'll get MM5 but I highly doubt that we will ever get a whole new trilogy.
Immortan Joecutter

Postby AquaCola » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm

WB were far to optimistic signing Hardy on for 3 more films.

Mel Gibson could make an awesome MM film. He's been there, he knows the characters and he knows George.
AquaCola

Postby biolumen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:37 pm

If going with a new director, is recasting Max an option?

(That's a joke, BTW)

Edit: Image is cropped on my phone for some reason. Full image here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD_3jUTXcAUzXqt.jpg
Last edited by biolumen on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biolumen

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Naaahh..!! :lol:

But Russel Crowe would be a good candidate for a Wasteland-Warlord !
Immortan Joecutter

Postby henry2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I want another MAD MAX film more than anyone, but like I have said before only with Miller directing. I'd rather have no more MAD MAX films than one directed by someone else. But that's me. :)
henry2

Re: M

Postby henry2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Immortan Joecutter wrote:
Johnentwistlespout2 wrote:The idea of a Mad Max film not directed by George Miller is something that is almost incomprehensible to me. But the idea of a Mad Max not starring Mel Gibson would also have been a few years ago.

So true...

In general I'm not completely against this idea, probably there are a few directors (beside Edgar Wright, Mel Gibson comes to my mind) who can do a proper MM movie
but without George Miller in charge theres always a great danger that Warner Bros. will mess up with the whole franchise.

I'm afraid at this point we won't see anything new from Miller for the rest of this decade, whether Mad Max or his mentioned 'smaller' film.
If we are lucky maybe someday we'll get MM5 but I highly doubt that we will ever get a whole new trilogy.

Hi Immortan Joecutter! For all we know there could be an announcement of Miller's small film and more MAD MAX films anytime now, you never know. :)
henry2

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:46 pm

henry2 wrote:I want another MAD MAX film more than anyone, but like I have said before only with Miller directing. I'd rather have no more MAD MAX films than one directed by someone else. But that's me. :)

Totally understandable. I'm really torn on that question alone if Miller should do a sequel to MMFR at all!
I think it's almost impossible to top or even match cinematic perfection FURY ROAD was...
Immortan Joecutter

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road