Falcon Restoration

Like the name says...

Falcon Restoration

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:21 am

Thought I'd start a new discussion on Falcon restoration advice, seeing as I could use the help.

First question, how hard is it to install power steering in a non-P/S car? The Goss doesn't have P/S (surprise!) and I would like to retrofit. Anybody done this before?

Mitch
Mitch

Falcon Restoration

Postby allan » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:40 pm

JUST UN BOLT FROM AN OTHER FALCOOOON OR BUY ONE IT'S SIMPLE OR SPEAK TO AN IMPORTER MAYBE WHEN A CAR IS BROUGHT IN IT COULD HIDE IN THE BOOT
goose replicas
allan

Falcon Restoration

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:33 am

Really? So simple? A piece from here, a piece from there, etc. Allan, that is so good to hear. I'll get ahold of a p/s unit and put her in soon. I live in the city and parallel parking a right hand drive car w/o pwr. steering is a bother.

Next question, what springs (rear leaf, front coil) do most Falcon drivers use to improve handling? Stock? Aftermarket? And will I need specific springs and shocks for an Interceptor replica? Looks like a shackle kit to me on some of them. Maybe longer leafs, too?

Mitch
Mitch

Falcon Restoration

Postby toecutter » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:12 am

hmmmm well an alternative is to just live with it.

i have a non-power steering v8, 1973 vintage.

and i have no probs twirling that beast around, its just normal.

HOWEVER

when i drive any car built after say 1980, especially a foulcan or commodore etc, the steering just feels downright weird.

light, no road feel etc.

i find a little squirt courtesy of the right foot, as you spin the steering wheel, aids in parking.

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Falcon Restoration

Postby 5.7 Interceptor » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:23 am

I find that as long as you have a proper sized steering wheel it's no big deal with manual steering at all.. this is what I have on my XB. It also keeps things a bit cleaner under the hood..er, I mean bonnet.

Doug
5.7 Interceptor

Falcon Restoration

Postby XAMan » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:20 am

Hi Mitch

I can't help you with the spring query but can confirm what allen indicated ... a lot of wreckers part-out powersteering 'kits' made up of steering box, power steer pump, two hoses (high press/low press) and a crankshaft pulley with enough slots to accommodate p/s air cond etc.

I've done the conversion twice. Once on an XB Coupe with steamroller wheels and a sports steering wheel the size of a donut ... parking was giving me the mother of all backaches so I did the swap ... transformed ... yes the was some float/vagueness but at least, given I was living in the inner city at the time, I could park the mongrel!

I have just put p/steeer in my HQSS for the same reason ... again using wrecking yard parts.

I am also about to do it all again ... I have an exceptionally straight and rust free XC ute (pick-up) that I was trying to sell a couple of months ago but no one was buying ... I also have a ZH Fairlane (the LWB higher trim falcon with the same central body but with longer bodywork fore and aft) which I am using as a donor. It is a 302/C4/Air/Psteer.

My only dilema at this point is whether to do it as I originally planned with the Fairlane front sheet metal making a pseudo Aussie Ford Ranchero or as an MFP 'Recovery' unit .... it's recently sprayed yellow so all I need is some time with a spray gun, a GS bonnet, cobra spoiler and scoop. Who am I trying to kid ... I just bought a roof spoiler on ebay from aussie and picked up a square headlamp grille from the wrecker this morning ... Anyone got some yellow sunraysia's for sale?

The P/steer stuff usually sells for A$450-500.

If you're interested I'm pulling out the factory air con from the ZH? ... otherwise it'll end up at the tip.
XAMan (Pete)

'Lingerie ... remember lingerie ...'
XAMan

Falcon Restoration

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:38 pm

MFP Recovery Vehicle? That is so cool. THIS I gotta see. LOL Thanks for the additional info on the p/s swap, everyone. But I'm with XAMan on this one. Wide tires, small parking spaces, a Yank in a righthand drive... I'm doing ok so far, but I'm leaning towards p/s.

Pete, I'm interested in the factory a/c. E-mail me and we'll talk.

Replica owners, need spring info.

Mitch
Mitch

Falcon Restoration

Postby AussieCoupes » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:51 pm

Pete,

If Mitch doesn't want theA/C I might be interested.

Phil
www.aussiecoupes.com
AussieCoupes

Falcon Restoration

Postby toecutter » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:07 am

xaman - i hat to be a pedant but how are you going to turn your

foulcan ute into a questionably roadworthy, petrol leaking, rolling wreck EH wagon ?

The original MFP recovery vehicle also had a bicycle as backup transport.

Maybe i could build a replica of that ;-]

'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Falcon Restoration

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:57 am

Pete gives 'Roadside Assistance' a whole new meaning. Toecutter, you may have been kidding, but now I'm inspired to do an MFP themed bike. I always wanted to do an Interceptor kiddie car, but no kids as yet to justify it. The bike is very feasible, though.

If anyone has website or postal addresses for Falcon parts suppliers, I would appreciate a post or e-mail. I want to compile a list of sources so I can shop prices, availability, quality, etc. I'd swap parts, but I don't have much usable to spare. Got a nice '63 Chrysler Imperial Crown Edition 4-dr if anyone's interested...

Mitch
Mitch

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars