Vision Quest resin Interceptor kit

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Postby mad_manx » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:19 am

Has anyone here done one? I'm pretty green when it comes to resin, and want to know if it's really worth the $75 it takes to get it home. I have already begun desecrating a Revell '70 Torino to make my own Interceptor, and feel I can finish it reasonably well - I've done a lot of homework, and have about 25 years' experience with polystyrene kits on my side. I'm just curious if I'd be better of dropping the "big bucks" on a resin kit that still needs pretty major work to be accurate. TIA from a newbie. Does anyone happen to have an unfinished resin model they've given up on?
"Y'know - piece from here, p-piece from there....it just sorta happened, Max."

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
mad_manx

Postby mad_manx » Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:41 am

Bueller?........Bueller?...... Anyone? Don't all answer at once; I can't keep up.Image

mad_manx

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:05 pm

If I were you, I'd try to get one of the better Interceptor kits. If you do go with the VQ kit, read up on resin modelling techniques. Resin is softer to work with than styrene, which can be both good and bad. Sometimes there is distortion, which can be fixed with hot water immersion and tweaking. Or reinforce with a styrene subframe. Resin takes CA (super glue) well, and you can use styrene strip stock and modelling putty to modify, fill and fix. Do subassemblies, just as a plastic kit. Once you get to a reasonable state of finish on the body, put a guide coat of auto primer to show where to final sand. Then seal in a good coat of primer (not too heavy) and airbrush your color coats. Use spare/scratchbuilt parts for details where you can, as most resin castings aren't that crisp.

It's like with any obscure modelling subject, sometimes you have to go with the only game in town unless you wanna scratchbuild.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby mad_manx » Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:49 am

Thanks for the reply, Mitch. My only question is: Who makes a "better" kit, and where do I get info? I only brought up the VQ kit because of the finished one featured on the site. The builder mentioned having to do a lot of work to make it "right," and it came out very well - Kudos to him, even if I forgot his name(sorry!). I have a lot of info on resin, but little experience. I'll probably still do the Torino-based replica even if I go with a resin one, as I've already started cutting up the body....It will never be a Torino again, that's for sure.Image

mad_manx

Postby CarModDave » Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:50 am

DO NOT.......I repeat........DO NOT buy the VisionQuest kits!!

I've been building for 30+ years and have built MANY resin kits for the last 15+ years and the VQ kit is the absolute worst pile of s**t I have EVER seen!!

I've built both the yellow MFP kit and RW ( MM2 ) kit made by "PLANET X" models and......although not completely accurate, they are FAR superior to the VQ garbage! Look in the "Files" section to see the pics of my built ups.

The "PLANET X" kits are resin/white metal and are available from Comet Miniatures at:

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/

Look under "TV/Movie Cars".
"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you.

Be DERANGED, and they will make you their leader!"

Christopher Titus
CarModDave

Postby mad_manx » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:30 am

Cool! Another Dave that builds models and digs Mad Max...The guys at work won't believe it.

Seriously, thanks for the "heads up." I'll still continue with my Torino-based replica, but I'd like to sometime do a resin kit to go with it. I have seen your build of the Planet X car; it's pretty amazing.Image

*edit* Dave - I just went to your site, and the world got even smaller. You & I are also "Titus" fans. Those jackasses at Fox shot themselves in the foot when they dropped that one. I've seen your '56 wagon on the Hobby Heaven board......Over there, I'm known as "VW Dave."

mad_manx

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:22 am

I'm building a Pursuit Special replica from a 70 Torino model and tho i know its no Falcon but itys as close as i can get for my budget,i need some rear fuel tanks,i've used some from some big rig modesl but their not as accurate,does any one have some that would resemble the ones from maxs ride for sale like some from anyones model parts bin?any would be greatly appreciated
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:19 am

Hey Bart, check out the Plastruct catalog. You can get plastic tubing/pipe in various diameters with matching vessel heads/domes. Very handy for modelling tanks, since that's what they're for. Lots of other goodies in there too...

Mitch
Mitch

Postby mad_manx » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:01 pm

Bart - I'd recommend the tanks from a 1/32nd-scale tractor-trailer truck; they should do the job, and not be too large. The scratchbuilding/Plastruct idea is good too....You can custom-tailor the tanks to the car that way.

mad_manx

Postby Bronze21 » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:27 am

Hey Guys, it sounds like a lot of us are building the same things. I too bought the resin kit of Maxs' Black on Black, but it was the Monsters in Motion kit. Let's just say that a lot of the parts are either going to be thrown away, or are going to need some serious refitting after starting out with a $90(US) kit. If you have some old muscle/drag cars lying around, use the exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires and blower parts from those kits and lose the cast parts...you'll be much happier in the end. I build auto show properties and concept vehicles for a living and we use a CA called "Black Max" (Loctite 380), it adheres well and sands out with the consitency of styrene (no dips/CA ridge/dips scenario). The only problem is that it's expensive - $18.50 for 1oz.. For the 1:24/25 MM2 fuel tanks, I used 1" ABS round stock, rounding the ends and drilling the holes for the caps. Some of my work is on Peter's Madmaxmovies.com website under E. Jay Zadina if anyones interested or need examples. The styrene kits are fun because they're quicker to build and easier to modify... especially if you're using a Torino or a Plymouth GTX shell. Plus, with styrene, you can get better detail making the sheet metal door panels or bodywork and not have to drill/thin out the thick resin chunks. Good luck all.
Bronze21

Next

Return to Models and Modelling