My Thoughts on the movie

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby MWFV8 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:53 am

MFP_1138 wrote:
MWFV8 wrote:
Mad Max RW wrote:The only part of Fury Road that continues to stand out for me as poorly done and unnecessary was Furiosa's collapsing to her knees and screaming in defeat when she learns the truth of her intended destination. I didn't feel any emotion from that scene maybe because of the almost total lack of build up to it. We don't really know much backstory to any of the characters or what this place once looked like and who lived there. I had no reason to care about anybody. It didn't gel with the rest of the movie. Furiosa might as well have looked at the camera and screamed at the audience how we're supposed to care. The best analogy I can make is it felt like the fast pace suddenly hit an invisible speed bump then carried on as usual. It didn't bring the movie down because I loved it, but this particular thing stuck out.

Compare Furiosa's intended character arc with the first Mad Max. There was a buildup to his family's death and I felt something when he collapsed in the street. We knew enough about his wife and child and about the man without it being screamed in our faces after 1 hour of crashes and explosions. Then the remainder of the movie goes in a whole different and much darker direction. Imagine if they filmed Mad Max without ever showing his wife and child but kept the scene of them getting run down in the street. Max's character is the same before and after the event. How shallow would it have felt? That's how Furiosa felt to me.


Great points. The odd thing about the Furiousa screaming scene is it had huge emotional impact in the trailer but fell flat in the movie just like you say and for the reasons you state.


The scene worked for me, but I can understand why you feel that way. I think there was a lot of trimming done for pacing reasons (or studio interference) that would have allowed for greater impact in many places. Like the one gal who says to Max "I though you weren't crazy anymore"....did she and Max have some deep intellectual discussion about his PTSD and we didn't get to see it? Or was she just saying that because Max was showing more empathy towards them? This is a nitpick on my part, but yeah a Director's Cut could fill in the blanks for us in a lot of areas that would make an already great movie into a superior one.


This is how I felt. I felt like I was watching a two hour trailer. I agree it could be studio interference, perhaps a shooting schedule that was too tight, or a byproduct of Fury Road's unusual writing process. Fingers crossed for an extended cut. The action flows so well it could be a lot longer and only get better.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
User avatar
MWFV8
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby MWFV8 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:58 am

Mad Max RW wrote:I kept it in mind but I prefer a movie to show and not tell me what the stakes are. As for Splendid's death it had less of an emotional impact than the boomerang killing the golden youth (Wez's lover) in Mad Max 2. I simply didn't buy it in Fury Road.


It certainly didn't compare to the warrior woman's death in RoadWarrior. The Golden Youth death is a great comparison as in that case we're actually sympathising with an antagonist, both with the Golden Youth himself and Wez.

I guess they kind of captured the same beats with Max. Having not got emotionally invested in the Five Wives he was able to handle Splendid's death more objectively. I also like how it demonstrated Immortan Joe could not bring any harm to them by the way he swerved and crashed to avoid her. But it just fell a bit flat.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
User avatar
MWFV8
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Saw Man from U.N.C.L.E. today.

Warner Brothers recycled the scene from FURY ROAD with the trees and the nuclear blast in the opening montage in U.N.C.L.E. :lol:
User avatar
Immortan Joecutter
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Ol' Coyote » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:15 pm

Mad Max RW wrote:The only part of Fury Road that continues to stand out for me as poorly done and unnecessary was Furiosa's collapsing to her knees and screaming in defeat when she learns the truth of her intended destination. I didn't feel any emotion from that scene maybe because of the almost total lack of build up to it. We don't really know much backstory to any of the characters or what this place once looked like and who lived there. I had no reason to care about anybody. It didn't gel with the rest of the movie. Furiosa might as well have looked at the camera and screamed at the audience how we're supposed to care. The best analogy I can make is it felt like the fast pace suddenly hit an invisible speed bump then carried on as usual. It didn't bring the movie down because I loved it, but this particular thing stuck out.



yeah, somehow it felt cringeworthy to me.
"You know, Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane."
Ol' Coyote
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Previous

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests