Would you have liked more time spent at The Citadel?

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Would you have liked more time spent at The Citadel?

Postby levcore » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 pm

At the start of the movie? Do you think it's perfect the way it is? What impresses me about George is who he doesn't go overboard with anything in terms of explanation or showing us too much, he just gives us glimpses. If i was him i would've had at least another 10 minutes at The Citadel at the start, showing much more of it, it's inner workings etc. George Miller is the master film maker he is by giving the audience just enough but not too much (and leave us wanting lots more!) whereas i would want to probably go overboard on showing more of The Citadel as i loved all the design work. He doesn't overly explain the wives or anything or even Joe, all we get a few lines scattered throughout the movie and what we see at the start. I would've perhaps liked a bit more of him ruling over the people and to see the inner workings of The Citadel a little more. I don't know, the movie is amazing the way it is but i just want more, i could watch a 4 hour cut of this movie.
levcore

Re: Would you have liked more time spent at The Citadel?

Postby BRC1974 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:14 am

Yes. I'm assuming it consisted of more than just passageways and a few caverns full of sick War Boys.
It would have been nice to have seen a close up of the green vegetation at the top.
BRC1974

Postby PhilC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 am

Yes and no. As a fan yes it'd be great to see more of things but the movie is how it is for the pacing GM wanted. I love what he's done actually. No slow lead into the world that will unfold on screen, were just dropped straight in during someone having a real bad day and then it's just ball's ta the wall until the end of that first act. This movie is fantastic just how it is. Still as a fan yeah, a directors cut of the earlier test screenings that were longer would be pretty awesome to see. Not sure if there was more Citadel in that but perhaps there may have been.

I'm sure i read somewhere that Max and Immortan Joe were in a early test screen scene in the Citadel and the line "it is by my hand you will rise" was Immortan saying it to Max?

Hope we get a lot of that included on the blu ray extras.
PhilC

Postby MWFV8 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 am

I feel Thunderdome did a much better job with introducing Bartertown. It really felt like you were there.

For me the whole start of Fury Road feels rushed and badly written to just get on with the chase sequences, so the Citadel is pretty much a blur. It didn't feel all that well thought through and a little too clinically done. I liked Immortan Joe's penthouse though. I liked the way the lift system looked a bit like a double overhead camshaft.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby levcore » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 am

PhilC wrote:Yes and no. As a fan yes it'd be great to see more of things but the movie is how it is for the pacing GM wanted. I love what he's done actually. No slow lead into the world that will unfold on screen, were just dropped straight in during someone having a real bad day and then it's just ball's ta the wall until the end of that first act. This movie is fantastic just how it is. Still as a fan yeah, a directors cut of the earlier test screenings that were longer would be pretty awesome to see. Not sure if there was more Citadel in that but perhaps there may have been.

I'm sure i read somewhere that Max and Immortan Joe were in a early test screen scene in the Citadel and the line "it is by my hand you will rise" was Immortan saying it to Max?

Hope we get a lot of that included on the blu ray extras.

Yeah i would at the very least love a detailed breakdown of the longest cut of the movie that was screened. There are a few key omissions such as The Dag pinching the horizon (although i think we can figure out where this went in the movie). The one for me though is the line "Everybody's gone out of their minds, you're not the only one Max". I still don't know who said and at what point it occured because with the movie as it is, there is literally no scene it could have happened in. I was certain it was Joe talking to Max as to me it sounds like Hugh's voice (minus the gravelly Immortan rasp) but another poster here was certain it was Rictus saying it.
levcore

Postby levcore » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:11 am

BRC1974 wrote:Yes. I'm assuming it consisted of more than just passageways and a few caverns full of sick War Boys.
It would have been nice to have seen a close up of the green vegetation at the top.

This. I really wanted to see more of the farm at the top of the Citadel and of the wind turbines etc and who is operating and manning them. All we got to see close up are a few passageways and a cavern full of sick war boys as you say, it's just not enough!
levcore

Postby Turbofurball » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:40 am

MWFV8 wrote:I feel Thunderdome did a much better job with introducing Bartertown. It really felt like you were there.

Yes, but half of Thunderdome was set there ... why spend time showing a place that only crops up for the first 5 minutes?
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby MFP_1138 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:35 pm

levcore wrote:At the start of the movie? Do you think it's perfect the way it is? What impresses me about George is who he doesn't go overboard with anything in terms of explanation or showing us too much, he just gives us glimpses. If i was him i would've had at least another 10 minutes at The Citadel at the start, showing much more of it, it's inner workings etc. George Miller is the master film maker he is by giving the audience just enough but not too much (and leave us wanting lots more!) whereas i would want to probably go overboard on showing more of The Citadel as i loved all the design work. He doesn't overly explain the wives or anything or even Joe, all we get a few lines scattered throughout the movie and what we see at the start. I would've perhaps liked a bit more of him ruling over the people and to see the inner workings of The Citadel a little more. I don't know, the movie is amazing the way it is but i just want more, i could watch a 4 hour cut of this movie.

I could have handled perhaps just a bit more, but I am glad George Miller chose not to over explain everything. The problem is if you delve too far into the background of the Citadel, you risk the need to write a bunch of secondary plots and characters that need to be resolved in some way later. And how do you do that effectively with so many people living there? It's difficult to do..either you give a bunch of people some one-liners, or you have to develop secondary characters. Then it probably becomes a design choice...do you make a character-driven slower movie, or go balls out with almost nonstop action? Not saying anyone is wrong for wanting it, but I am sure it would affect every aspect of the film if one were to do that. A 2 hr 10 to 2 hr 20 min version would have been good if it allowed key dialogue or other scenes/lines to be inserted in to develop the story a bit more. Judging by some of the edits made it would appear that this was possibly done and then the film was trimmed to be as lean as possible, most likely due to studio intervention (shorter running time allows for more screenings per day, etc).
"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
MFP_1138

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 am

MFP_1138 wrote:A 2 hr 10 to 2 hr 20 min version would have been good if it allowed key dialogue or other scenes/lines to be inserted in to develop the story a bit more. Judging by some of the edits made it would appear that this was possibly done and then the film was trimmed to be as lean as possible, most likely due to studio intervention (shorter running time allows for more screenings per day, etc).

You know the deal.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road