(For Fun) Re-cast Fury Road!

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

(For Fun) Re-cast Fury Road!

Postby levcore » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:47 am

The casting was perfect, i thought everyone was great and wouldn't want to change any of them, however just for a bit of fun, if the movie couldn't have been made with the cast it currently has, who would you cast instead?
levcore

Re: (For Fun) Re-cast Fury Road!

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:06 am

Actors who can perform Aussie accents. And more racial diversity throughout.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:25 am

The obvious one, and something I'd like to have seen, is Eric Banner as Max. Not only is he a great Australian actor but he's also a huge gearhead who races his own XB. That would have meant we could have seen Max actually behind the wheel of the Interceptor doing some of the actual stunt driving. Think Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher (and I say that despite not being a Tom Cruise fan). Banner is also closer to Gibson's lean build in the original films, which is a lot more believable given the environment. Plus he wouldn't have sounded like a mexican batman.

Five Wives were pretty interchangeable. One could have been a manikin and I doubt we'd have noticed.

Charlize Theron is in a league of her own. Pretty much impossible to picture a different Furiosa now. Although Megan Gale had a ton of presence for her scenes.

Regarding the perfect cast thing. Keep in mind movie casting, especially for blockbusters, is very much about bankability over talent or a perfect fit.
MWFV8

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:39 am

Not so much a re-casting as a new casting. I would have liked to have seen Zoë Bell playing a dark version of Furiosa, perhaps operating alongside Rictus Erectus as a sort of female Wez. She's an incredible stunt person and great actor. She would have been very cool jumping from vehicle to vehicle and could have led to a woman on woman fight with Furiousa.
MWFV8

Postby Mad Max RW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:58 am

MWFV8 wrote:The obvious one, and something I'd like to have seen, is Eric Banner as Max.

You mean Eric Bana? I always felt he would have been a good replacement for Mel, and certainly better than Tom Hardy. He was awesome in Chopper, Munich, and Hanna. Until I saw Love the Beast it was pretty clear he loved the Mad Max character and movies as much any die hard fan. If they replaced Tom Hardy with Eric Bana in the next movie I would be totally ok with that.
Mad Max RW

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:27 am

Mad Max RW wrote:
MWFV8 wrote:The obvious one, and something I'd like to have seen, is Eric Banner as Max.

You mean Eric Bana? I always felt he would have been a good replacement for Mel, and certainly better than Tom Hardy. He was awesome in Chopper, Munich, and Hanna. Until I saw Love the Beast it was pretty clear he loved the Mad Max character and movies as much any die hard fan. If they replaced Tom Hardy with Eric Bana in the next movie I would be totally ok with that.

Indeed, I mean Eric Bana. Very cool guy.
MWFV8

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:14 am

You mean that guy who played in 'Troy' about 10 years ago ?
How old is he now ? 47, 48? Man, in the meantime he is even too old to play James Bond...

He is a good actor but in my opinion he's not edgy enough. Okay, he is Australian and maybe a die hard Mad Max fan
but that alone doesn't make him a good contender to play the role of Max Rockatansky.

Keep on dreaming . . .
Immortan Joecutter

Postby MWFV8 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 am

Immortan Joecutter wrote:

How old is he now ? 47, 48? Man, in the meantime he is even too old to play James Bond...

He is a good actor but in my opinion he's not edgy enough. Okay, he is Australian and maybe a die hard Mad Max fan
but that alone doesn't make him a good contender to play the role of Max Rockatansky.

Keep on dreaming . . .

Well done on having an opinion. Got any better suggestions?
MWFV8

Postby Mad Max RW » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:46 am

Immortan Joecutter wrote:

I'm guessing you were never part of the "No Mel, no Max" camp. Since when is 47 too old? How old are you to say something like that?

Keep on dreaming . . .

Nobody said those were his lone qualifiers. Eric Bana's "Chopper" is as good or better than Tom Hardy's "Bronson". Dismissing him for Troy is equally ignorant as dismissing Hardy as just the badguy from Star Trek Nemesis.
Mad Max RW

Postby levcore » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:07 am

Bana was fantastic in Troy anyway. I think the point that Immortan Joecutter was making about the age is that Miller clearly wanted to go with a younger Max in case of a new trilogy spinning off Fury Road, 47-48 may be too old for this idea.
levcore

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road