My Thoughts on the movie

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby AquaCola » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 pm

^Yep!

I couldn't bring myself to see Terminator or Jurassic World, each time I went to see Fury Road again. I was even kind of bored during Avengers and Fast & Furious too since they were in the way of Fury Road coming out.
AquaCola
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 am

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Taipan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:16 pm

AquaCola wrote:^Yep!

I couldn't bring myself to see Terminator or Jurassic World, each time I went to see Fury Road again. I was even kind of bored during Avengers and Fast & Furious too since they were in the way of Fury Road coming out.


Haha, yeah same thing happened to me trying to watch all summer blockbusters this year.
Avengers put me off with that ridiculous opening scene that just screamed show no substance right from the start and then it just got worse with them trying to incorporate a plot. Jurassic World reeked of desperate cash grabbing and riding on the fame of the original while bringing next to nothing to the table. Terminator Genisys... if there was ever a poster child for the most pathetic attempt at keeping a franchise alive that would be it.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
User avatar
Taipan
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am
Location: The Wasteland

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Mad Jan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Damn, harsh words
Mad Jan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:17 am

MFP_1138 wrote:
MWFV8 wrote:As I've stated, it's pretty much perfect for it's time. But times have changed a lot since RoadWarrior.


I completely agree with that also. I think Fury Road parallels Road Warrior in a lot of ways but does not directly copy it. FR is a very fast, very hard-hitting movie. Road Warrior was considered extremely fast-paced and violent for it's time, but now it would probably be considered average, especially if the rape scene was not included (or at least trimmed down more like in the TV edit from years ago) and could probably pass for PG13 in the USA. Fury Road is almost forced to be extremely more violent by default because of our times, yet oddly enough (and thankfully) no one complained about it...or else it just doesn't seem any more violent than anything else out there because we are all immune to it.


While I felt Fury Road was more violent overall, it felt really sanitized to me (and it seems to some others).

Road Warrior was really good at showing harrowing stuff that stuck with you. Scenes like the marauder crying out while dying in the buggy, blood running into the fuel running from it, the corpse of the trucker and the aftermath of whatever happened at mundi mundi. That stuff really sticks, especially after the high paced chase and Wez pulling the arrow out his arm. Then we've got all the subsequent moments after that. It's really quite a shocking movie, even when cut back. Mainly because it was brave enough to show the brutal impact of violence - which some argue is less indulgent.

But Fury Road could never have been like that and still survived as a blockbuster. Plus it's not like we can't go elsewhere to see gore now. And I'm not suggesting it doesn't show the odd shocking moment. Some of those shots of War Boys getting tangled up in the action are scarily realistic.

I guess a lot of it also comes down to what values we individually wanted to see carried across. What aspect of the escapism we desired. For me, as much as I loved the realistic road battles of RoadWarrior, I also loved the slow, bleak, highly atmospheric stuff. But that would have meant a slower more old fashioned movie which could have flopped and killed the franchise for good.

Part of me is rooting for an extended director's cut DVD which brings more to both the chases and the breaks between them. For example, when Max awakens after the storm, to me that scene was begging for a long pause to take in the carnage and aftermath. To really hammer home that actual human beings died (or were dying) in horrific ways. I feel this would have helped shown how lucky Max was to survive, triggered Nux's character arc, and helped heighten the reality of death for the future chase scenes. But that's just me. I don't expect or demand others feel the same way.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
User avatar
MWFV8
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Mad Max RW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:20 am

The only part of Fury Road that continues to stand out for me as poorly done and unnecessary was Furiosa's collapsing to her knees and screaming in defeat when she learns the truth of her intended destination. I didn't feel any emotion from that scene maybe because of the almost total lack of build up to it. We don't really know much backstory to any of the characters or what this place once looked like and who lived there. I had no reason to care about anybody. It didn't gel with the rest of the movie. Furiosa might as well have looked at the camera and screamed at the audience how we're supposed to care. The best analogy I can make is it felt like the fast pace suddenly hit an invisible speed bump then carried on as usual. It didn't bring the movie down because I loved it, but this particular thing stuck out.

Compare Furiosa's intended character arc with the first Mad Max. There was a buildup to his family's death and I felt something when he collapsed in the street. We knew enough about his wife and child and about the man without it being screamed in our faces after 1 hour of crashes and explosions. Then the remainder of the movie goes in a whole different and much darker direction. Imagine if they filmed Mad Max without ever showing his wife and child but kept the scene of them getting run down in the street. Max's character is the same before and after the event. How shallow would it have felt? That's how Furiosa felt to me.
User avatar
Mad Max RW
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:01 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:30 am

Mad Max RW wrote:The only part of Fury Road that continues to stand out for me as poorly done and unnecessary was Furiosa's collapsing to her knees and screaming in defeat when she learns the truth of her intended destination. I didn't feel any emotion from that scene maybe because of the almost total lack of build up to it. We don't really know much backstory to any of the characters or what this place once looked like and who lived there. I had no reason to care about anybody. It didn't gel with the rest of the movie. Furiosa might as well have looked at the camera and screamed at the audience how we're supposed to care. The best analogy I can make is it felt like the fast pace suddenly hit an invisible speed bump then carried on as usual. It didn't bring the movie down because I loved it, but this particular thing stuck out.

Compare Furiosa's intended character arc with the first Mad Max. There was a buildup to his family's death and I felt something when he collapsed in the street. We knew enough about his wife and child and about the man without it being screamed in our faces after 1 hour of crashes and explosions. Then the remainder of the movie goes in a whole different and much darker direction. Imagine if they filmed Mad Max without ever showing his wife and child but kept the scene of them getting run down in the street. Max's character is the same before and after the event. How shallow would it have felt? That's how Furiosa felt to me.


Great points. The odd thing about the Furiousa screaming scene is it had huge emotional impact in the trailer but fell flat in the movie just like you say and for the reasons you state.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
User avatar
MWFV8
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby scfc68 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 am

MWFV8 wrote:
MFP_1138 wrote:
MWFV8 wrote:As I've stated, it's pretty much perfect for it's time. But times have changed a lot since RoadWarrior.


I completely agree with that also. I think Fury Road parallels Road Warrior in a lot of ways but does not directly copy it. FR is a very fast, very hard-hitting movie. Road Warrior was considered extremely fast-paced and violent for it's time, but now it would probably be considered average, especially if the rape scene was not included (or at least trimmed down more like in the TV edit from years ago) and could probably pass for PG13 in the USA. Fury Road is almost forced to be extremely more violent by default because of our times, yet oddly enough (and thankfully) no one complained about it...or else it just doesn't seem any more violent than anything else out there because we are all immune to it.


While I felt Fury Road was more violent overall, it felt really sanitized to me (and it seems to some others).

Road Warrior was really good at showing harrowing stuff that stuck with you. Scenes like the marauder crying out while dying in the buggy, blood running into the fuel running from it, the corpse of the trucker and the aftermath of whatever happened at mundi mundi. That stuff really sticks, especially after the high paced chase and Wez pulling the arrow out his arm. Then we've got all the subsequent moments after that. It's really quite a shocking movie, even when cut back. Mainly because it was brave enough to show the brutal impact of violence - which some argue is less indulgent.

But Fury Road could never have been like that and still survived as a blockbuster. Plus it's not like we can't go elsewhere to see gore now. And I'm not suggesting it doesn't show the odd shocking moment. Some of those shots of War Boys getting tangled up in the action are scarily realistic.

I guess a lot of it also comes down to what values we individually wanted to see carried across. What aspect of the escapism we desired. For me, as much as I loved the realistic road battles of RoadWarrior, I also loved the slow, bleak, highly atmospheric stuff. But that would have meant a slower more old fashioned movie which could have flopped and killed the franchise for good.

Part of me is rooting for an extended director's cut DVD which brings more to both the chases and the breaks between them. For example, when Max awakens after the storm, to me that scene was begging for a long pause to take in the carnage and aftermath. To really hammer home that actual human beings died (or were dying) in horrific ways. I feel this would have helped shown how lucky Max was to survive, triggered Nux's character arc, and helped heighten the reality of death for the future chase scenes. But that's just me. I don't expect or demand others feel the same way.



Id never, ever clocked that before with the blood & the fuel!!! You learn something every day!

Incidentally, I saw Jurassic World ; Have to say it surprised me, I really enjoyed it
scfc68
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 pm
Location: Stoke On Trent, England

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby MFP_1138 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 am

MWFV8 wrote:
Mad Max RW wrote:The only part of Fury Road that continues to stand out for me as poorly done and unnecessary was Furiosa's collapsing to her knees and screaming in defeat when she learns the truth of her intended destination. I didn't feel any emotion from that scene maybe because of the almost total lack of build up to it. We don't really know much backstory to any of the characters or what this place once looked like and who lived there. I had no reason to care about anybody. It didn't gel with the rest of the movie. Furiosa might as well have looked at the camera and screamed at the audience how we're supposed to care. The best analogy I can make is it felt like the fast pace suddenly hit an invisible speed bump then carried on as usual. It didn't bring the movie down because I loved it, but this particular thing stuck out.

Compare Furiosa's intended character arc with the first Mad Max. There was a buildup to his family's death and I felt something when he collapsed in the street. We knew enough about his wife and child and about the man without it being screamed in our faces after 1 hour of crashes and explosions. Then the remainder of the movie goes in a whole different and much darker direction. Imagine if they filmed Mad Max without ever showing his wife and child but kept the scene of them getting run down in the street. Max's character is the same before and after the event. How shallow would it have felt? That's how Furiosa felt to me.


Great points. The odd thing about the Furiousa screaming scene is it had huge emotional impact in the trailer but fell flat in the movie just like you say and for the reasons you state.


The scene worked for me, but I can understand why you feel that way. I think there was a lot of trimming done for pacing reasons (or studio interference) that would have allowed for greater impact in many places. Like the one gal who says to Max "I though you weren't crazy anymore"....did she and Max have some deep intellectual discussion about his PTSD and we didn't get to see it? Or was she just saying that because Max was showing more empathy towards them? This is a nitpick on my part, but yeah a Director's Cut could fill in the blanks for us in a lot of areas that would make an already great movie into a superior one.
"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
User avatar
MFP_1138
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Immortan Joecutter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 pm

poorly done and unnecessary collapsing


I can't agree on your point.

Furiosas breakdown was a logical reaction. You have to keep in mind that people have died during the search for the Green Place.

At this point she realised that she was responsible for the tragic death of Splendid.
User avatar
Immortan Joecutter
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

Re: My Thoughts on the movie

Postby Mad Max RW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:16 pm

I kept it in mind but I prefer a movie to show and not tell me what the stakes are. As for Splendid's death it had less of an emotional impact than the boomerang killing the golden youth (Wez's lover) in Mad Max 2. I simply didn't buy it in Fury Road.
"You wanna get out of here....you talk to me."
User avatar
Mad Max RW
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests