New VFX video

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

New VFX video

Postby PhilC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Some more very cool before and after stuff.

https://vimeo.com/132806170
PhilC

Re: New VFX video

Postby TheWarriorMax » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I was about to post this, and yeah it's pretty cool.
TheWarriorMax

Postby Turbofurball » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Great examples of how to use digital effects to enhance whats going on, instead of replace it :)
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby PhilC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Yeah the only one i don't really understand why it was needed was the first one with Max's head replacement on the bike. Surely Tom could of done that himself as it was all slow going that part of the scene,
PhilC

Postby Taipan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 am

Well, the general rule of thumb is if you don't notice it then it's perfectly executed. I never even thought they'd replace the rider's head with Hardy's, but the sky and ground replacements... holy crap, they literally switched the scenery with that. The shot of the Mack truck or rather its passengers was something that baffled me for a while but again it's a perfect marriage of practical and CG effects with the way they fall to the ground. I assume they did the same thing with the War Boy who was catapulted from the buzzards' excavator arm - it looked both practical and too dangerous to be done practically.

The final shot of the War Rig being rammed in the canyon is interesting, maybe all the 3D trace lines were for the 3D effect in the cinemas? Used for tracing objects and placing them in the 3D space?
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby PhilC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:20 am

You could be on the money there with that assumption, i really know FA about any of that sorta stuff but they must have been doing it for some reason though. :) Toms head shot on the bike was very well executed, even watching it on a huge screen i never noticed anything being like that. The only reason i question why they did that for that shot is surely filming Tom on the bike would be a far cheaper option than doing the replacement? Just seems like a simple thing for him to do. A bigger expense i would think though may have been removing that ear piece from so many shot's? Strange they filmed it like then to only drop that side of things in post..

Hope we get a full on making of doco on the re release when it happens which i feel pretty confident we'll get sometime down the track. It just seems we ain't getting a real lot in the way of extras on this initial release going on the run times.
PhilC

Postby Ol' Coyote » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:01 am

What ?? It's not really Hardy's head ? I didn't even see it ! And i saw it more than 5 times !

What kind of sorcery is this, they did a very good job !
"You know, Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane."
Ol' Coyote

Postby Turbofurball » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:59 am

Presumably the head replacement was due to some weird insurance issue ... or maybe Hardy can't ride a motorbike :P

The war rig crash was one of the most 3D-ised moments of the film, so it wouldn't surprise me if thats right about mapping all the bits for a realistic representation.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby levcore » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Amazing video. Why on earth did they have him put that silly earpiece in? I mean really, it wasn't connected to anything at all, so it doesn't even make sense for Max to pop it in his ear, what a strange and bizarre choice. Then to have to go trhough every shot of him and take it out, man no wonder this movie went over budget lol.
levcore

Postby Nightwalker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:22 am

The sets where so big and there was so much noise from all the engines, they couldn't hear the instructions from the director. That's where the ear pieces where for. It is discussed here before, and that if I remember correctly, that was the reason.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road