I'm just gonna nudge it a little...

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: I'm just gonna nudge it a little...

Postby DetritusMaximus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Water and methanol injection are pretty much the same thing. They originated with supercharged aviation motors back between the world wars. LOTS of aviation technology made it's way into drag racing.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby RedHotRyder » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09 am

Turbofurball wrote:That sounds plausible ... there's water injection too, but I have no idea how popular it is at the mo. Methanol sounds like a better idea on a hot air car to be honest.

I've worked around and on a lot around streetable drag cars, but never heard of methanol injection - is that a funny car / top fuel kinda thing?

Water/meth injection is usually used on street cars that run turbos or a supercharger on pump gas. The water/meth will raise the octane levels and cool everything down which lets you run more boost and/or compression without detonation problems. Windshield washer fluid is methanol.

Top fuel runs 90% nitromethane and 10% methanol. Nitro is very dangerous stuff. You can't start a nitromethane engine on nitromethane. That's why you see a top fuel team squirting gasoline or alcohol into the blower hat to start the engine. This primes the system to start the engine and once it's spinning they can turn on the nitromethane fuel pumps.

In the movie they say things like " nitro boosted war machine" because it sounds cool. But you can't boost a gasoline engine with nitromethane. The fuels work too differently. Nitrous boosted would make more sense and that may be what they mean. The general audience doesn't care either way and even people that know about how this stuff works don't really care. Kinda like the switch operated blower in MM1/2. Not really possible or necessary but looks cool.
RedHotRyder

Postby Turbofurball » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:26 am

All interesting, the cars with turbos and prochargers I've seen have just used either intercooling or charge coolers ... and the stuff with rootes superchargers have only been running a small amount of boost on bigger engines. That said, I'm in Europe with a higher quality of pump gas than in the US, so maybe we just don't need it so bad - I've had a couple of friends running 30psi of boost on forecourt fuel (I've never gone over about 20psi because of the increasing amount of money involved).
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby DetritusMaximus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:56 pm

The big difference is time in use. Intercoolers/charge coolers are always in play, but they actually increase the density of the air/fuel charge because cooler air is denser. Nitrous runs out pretty quickly and it provides more oxygen for combustion without increasing density, but doesn't do much for cooling the air/fuel charge. Water/methanol lasts somewhere in between but does not provide anywhere the power boost of the other two. While it might cool down the air/fuel charge a little, it's main benefit is in bringing down the combustion temp right there in the combustion chamber. That is why it is most effective when used in conjunction with a positive displacement power adder (super/turbocharger). The act of compressing the air forces the molecules to rub together and create more heat thru friction. The amount of time it lasts depends on how fast it is used, but a gallon will last much longer than a nitrous tank and is far less dangerous.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Previous

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road