Batmobile Build

Like the name says...

Batmobile Build

Postby surfin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:32 am

Hi there

I'm part way through building a 1989 Batmobile.

Is anyone here interested to see pics of the build as it goes along?

Cheers

Craig
Last edited by surfin on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfin

Re: Batmobile Build

Postby TheWarriorMax » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:04 pm

surfin wrote:Hi there

I'm part way through building a 1989 Batmobile.

Is anyone here interested to see pics of the build as it goes along?

Cheers

Craig

Yeah post them.
TheWarriorMax

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:53 pm

ok a quick intro of myself. Been building trailers for ages, been into cars for a bit here and there. owned a nice Manx beach buggy and a few other cars that it appears I shouldn't have sold as they are now worth $$.

The last few years I raced ATV's quite successfully. I decided to retire whilst I was in 1 piece.

After racing, life was a bit boring and one day a pic of the 1989 Batmobile caught my eye. I looked into it a bit more and thought, hey I could build that.

So with more investigations the wheels started turning and gathering pace to the point it's happening.

Here is a quick glimpse of what the final product will look like:

So I will start at the beginning.

I purchased a HQ chassis that I will use for the base.

Seems to be in fairly good nick overall.

As the chassis needs to be extended, I will be purchasing a 2nd identical chassis, that I can use to get the steel for the chassis extension piece.

The shape of the chassis steel is a bit odd, so I can't just go and whack in a piece of square or rectangular steel for the extension.

Last edited by surfin on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfin

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:55 pm

I went out and bought a VX Commodore IRS setup that I planned to use for the rear end

Keep in mind this is an ICV build (Independantly Constructed Vehicle) so I am not bound by as many rules as if you were just modifying an existing car
surfin

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 pm

So it would appear I have gone for the Flintstone look here with the wooden wheels!

I don't have the rims and tyres yet, so I figured I had better mock up something of the same size so I could check the ride height front and rear, before I went and commited to welding the rear axle on fully.

I made up some attaching arms for the IRS to mount to the HQ chassis. All went well but I soon ran into problems

It turns out the IRS doesn't have enough upward travel in it's a-arms to get it to sit right, with the big wheels in place

The only way to fix this would have been to pull the whole IRS setup further back on the chassis, which means it will sit higher as the chassis rails are going up at an angle. This in turn means the seats would need to go further back, but the problem here is that the chassis starts to narrow. So the seats would be very close together with no room for the driveshaft tunnel.

So basically I am tossing the IRS, and going to a solid diff with a 4-link.

This comes a week after I sold the solid diff off the chassis I was using ! No loss, as it was drum brakes on the rear. I will be sourcing a modern diff with disc brakes off a Ford Falcon to use with the 4-link.

surfin

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:01 pm

I picked up a donor car. Its a 2000 Holden Commodore. Has a 5.7 litre V8 which should go nice. So will use the motor, gearbox, ECU and wiring harness, radiator, and I hope to try to use the dash and firewall to fit into the batmobile also

surfin

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Picked up a Falcon XR8 diff.

it came with a 4-link on it, but it turns out all the brackets were in the wrong spot in relation to my chassis. Lucky cause I had just ordered a triangular 4-link the day before. Phew

So I cut all the brackets and crap off the diff to get ready to fix the new 4-link on
surfin

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Here is my pretty triangular 4-link still in the box

Getting it all setup

Picked up this baby to help make short work of cutting crap out and also making new parts. My nice new plasma cutter

surfin

Postby surfin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:09 pm

The shell was made overseas. here is some pics of my shell after it was made, being loaded into transport for the trip to Australia

surfin

Postby kennerado » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:22 pm

That is incredible!
kennerado

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars