Forbes Fury Road article

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Forbes Fury Road article

Postby MFP_1138 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:26 am

"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
MFP_1138

Re: Forbes Fury Road article

Postby Taipan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:37 am

I don't think it's fair to throw Jurassic World and Fury Road into the same bag and judge its potential sequels in the same way.

Jurassic World as a movie - wasn't anything out of the ordinary, at least to me. Just a regular summer popcorn action flick, predictable etc, nothing new here. It made a lot of money on nostalgia and franchise recognition, and also maybe Chris Pratt. Plus, it's a direct sequel to the franchise so it's got that going for it too. But that's all there is to that movie. It's not something I personally would pay twice to see. Just a regular run of the mill action flick. In that respect - because it made so much money - I would fear for its sequel to be mediocre, simply because there wasn't much thought put into the essence of it, but rather the fact that it's a new Jurassic movie in what... 14 years or so? That franchise's still fresh.

Now let's have a look at Fury Road. This movie - despite some efforts - is not trying to cash in on the franchise it came from, not riding on nostalgia. Hell, that's why Miller only left a couple of hints for fans in the movie that we can now obsess over and wonder whether it fits into the original timeline or not, but I digress. The movie stands on its own and has a pretty good record of repeated viewings. It might just be me but whenever I talk to someone about it, they either tell me they've seen it more than once or at least they recommended it to someone. The movie's got legs, substance and wasn't relying on the original trilogy almost at all. And it was successful! Let's not forget that Miller was not under pressure of studios to write two more sequels for it, so I'm pretty damn sure that those sequels will not be watered down money grabs. They might not be as popular as Fury Road, they'll most likely be different, but that's what's great about it. While I'm thinking Jurassic World just inevitably fell into the movie-money making cogs of the business, it's bound to have 'just a sequel'. Which is far from what Miller has in store for us with the Fury Road sequel, from the simple fact that those two franchises kind of aren't the same.

TL;DR
Jurassic Wold franchise is mainstream and will have a crappy sequel.
Mad Max franchise isn't mainstream and its sequels will come from a different mindset of movie making.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby TheWarriorMax » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:07 pm

Taipan wrote:They might not be as popular as Fury Road,

I think if there is a sequel it won't be as popular as probably a lot people went to see Fury Road because it was something new (they don't know Mad Max at all) but didn't take to it enough to want to see the next one.

Taipan wrote:they'll most likely be different

But this, this could be the key in terms of the business case for a sequel. If the next movie isn't as over the top, doesn't use the same huge chase style, it should be a lot cheaper to make, and therefore less risky to make. I'm totally fine with that, but I'm also admittedly one of the people that wasn't blown away by Fury Road and wanted something slower and less crazy.

But then again, the money people might also see that as too risky. Will the new fans from Fury Road be OK with a slower sequel? I feel like the answer is mostly no.
TheWarriorMax

Postby Ol' Coyote » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:08 pm

I could live with a slower sequel. Something that is really awesome but toned down as opposed to Fury Road. Just normal looking, post apocalyptic cars hitting each other, no big monstrous stuff. Basically something like Road Warrior but a tad more insane.

You know we'd probably see something similar to the Mad Max game. That one is slower than the movie but still looks great.

Oh, we need more Max in the sequel. Hopefully the next one is about his own story.
"You know, Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane."
Ol' Coyote

Postby Turbofurball » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:40 am

There's scope within the universe for really interesting different styles of film - you could have a war film in the style of ancient Roman battles, or an epic journey of a whole town emigrating in the style of a wild west wagon trail, or a cat-and-mouse mystery in a small city ... or any of a number of other mashups of story styles that are familiar yet have never been done in a post apocalyptic setting before.

Anything *could* be brilliant, and it doesn't have to be expensive to be another classic movie.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby MFP_1138 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:04 am

I think you all make interesting points and I am thankful for your feedback. While I am glad the article praises Fury Road (at least I think so, the article is somewhat of a convoluted mess), it is yet another source that tries to compare a PG-13 summer popcorn movie to an R rated action movie for adults. I don't know anyone personally that has seen Max (I haven't yet either unfortunately), but two people have told me about JP....One loved it, the other said the plot mimics the first movie. The public obviously went for it because it broke a bunch of records, and that's all the incentive the studio needs to make another one.

In terms of FR and JP opening the door for more reboots, I would personally credit that to the Nolan Batmans and Raimi Spidermans. Batman Begins is 10 years old already, and the first Spiderman is 13, so the reboot idea is nothing new.

Unlike the studio, I honestly don't care what amount of money Max makes so long as it makes enough to do more Max movies, and I am fully confident based on feedback for Fury Road that George Miller is on the right track from an artistic standpoint. In fact, the sequel might actually make even more money because of the high praise for Fury Road. And $365M is nothing to laugh at either, especially for what is deemed a "Cult" movie franchise.

As for a slower Max sequel, I would be totally fine with that also. That would allow for a lot of character development and the possibilities are endless.
"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
MFP_1138

Postby scfc68 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:22 am

I'm someone who really wants to see Max back in a more urban setting; going back to the city ala Escape From New York. Im not interested in sand, sand and more sand
scfc68

Postby Taipan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 am

scfc68 wrote:I'm someone who really wants to see Max back in a more urban setting; going back to the city ala Escape From New York. Im not interested in sand, sand and more sand

Funny you mentioned that. In FR the canyon/mountains were originally supposed to be a destroyed and half buried city so old it started to resemble rock formations. I really liked that idea and looked for bits and pieces of that design left over in the movie, but I don't think there were any. There are some caves here and there but none of them look like they were made inside skyscrapers. Too bad, because that idea would be pretty good.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby TheWarriorMax » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Taipan wrote:
scfc68 wrote:I'm someone who really wants to see Max back in a more urban setting; going back to the city ala Escape From New York. Im not interested in sand, sand and more sand

Funny you mentioned that. In FR the canyon/mountains were originally supposed to be a destroyed and half buried city so old it started to resemble rock formations. I really liked that idea and looked for bits and pieces of that design left over in the movie, but I don't think there were any. There are some caves here and there but none of them look like they were made inside skyscrapers. Too bad, because that idea would be pretty good.

There were a lot of discussions about wanting to see more structures or not. I'm OK either way, but I didn't like how they went with barren and then threw in a solitary power line tower. I would have preferred some kinda thing they made themselves, and it would have also made more sense that Furiosa kinda recognized it.
TheWarriorMax

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road