Why do...

Like the name says...

Why do...

Postby FalconGTHO » Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:44 am

ImageAust cars always have such an alphabet soup name? XK, XY, HK, EL, etc? If its a Commodore, why cant it just BE a Commodore? If its a Falcon, why cant it JUST BE a Falcon?

Also, how is it possible to have two different Alpha models in the same modle year? I.E. 71 XY 71 XA, 73 XA 73 XB?

Any damage Goose? Nothing a year in the tropics wouldnt fix. You should see the damage Bronze. Metal damage, brain damage, I AM the NIGHT RIDAHH!!! A fuel injected suiCIDE masheen!
FalconGTHO

Why do...

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:21 pm

Um.... well unless you can come up with an easier way to identify each indiviual models i guess they will keep the alphanumerical designations to all the cars they make...

We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Why do...

Postby Wrinkles » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:50 pm

in 71, the last of the XY's were made, and the first of the XA's... and in 73, the last of the XA's, and the first of the XB's.

Some of these vehicles went for a couple of years with no changes, so it's pointless just referring to a model by year.
Wrinkles

Why do...

Postby FalconGTHO » Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:34 pm

ImageBut arent your model years like ours, start in Sept of the year preceeeding the model year? In other words, 03 Mustangs are available now. So if an XYis a 71, why wouldnt the XA be released as a 72 model? Also, Falcon is the model designation and the changes occur by year. Why the need for the extra lettering? That would be like us calling 64-66 Mustangs AB Mustangs, then 67-68, BC Mustangs and 69-70 CD and on and on. It just seems redundant and to me at least, bothersome.
Any damage Goose? Nothing a year in the tropics wouldnt fix. You should see the damage Bronze. Metal damage, brain damage, I AM the NIGHT RIDAHH!!! A fuel injected suiCIDE masheen!
FalconGTHO

Why do...

Postby Wrinkles » Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:00 pm

I drive an EL Falcon, and it's a '98. But EL's came out in '96. I also own an XF (87), and these were manufactured from 84-88. My XB ute is a '75, and these were built from 73-76. Generally, they tend to get about 3-4 years out of a model, and any upgrades throughout that time are often referred to as 'series 2', 'series 3', etc.

The new Falcon has just been launched (BA), and while you could see that as being the '03 model, in years to come the build date will be the reference in the used car market - eg. '02 BA Falcon. When we refer to an XA, that's generally all we say - "XA". the build date isn't too important. I only refer to my ute as 'an XB', never a "1975 Falcon". Build dates are sometimes quoted on GT's, because that can often dictate various options/colours that were only available in certain years/months.

Confusing? ...yeah, probably is to an outsider.. but that's the way it is, has always been, always will be, and it's not even something you think about as being hard to follow.. we just accept it.

Wrinkles

Why do...

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:44 am

The USA has done the letter game too on our cars Mercury XR7,Torino GT,AMC AMX,AMC SC/Rambler,SC/Hornet,Javelin AMX,Pontiac GTO,T37,SCJ,Buick GS,GSX,GN, ect. so OZ's cars aren't so hard to figure out :)
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Why do...

Postby FalconGTHO » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:00 am

ImageNo, I know that. Euro cars too. What I mean is with "trim changes" comes another set of alphabet letters. Refer back to my Mustang example. You can tell each year from the next, but its still always a Mustang. No need for further designation.

Wrinkles adds some light to it. Im just an ornery, anal bastard so extra, needles stuff (in my eyes) bugs me.

FalconGTHO

Why do...

Postby Wrinkles » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:10 am

But GTHO, if a 73 XB is the same as a 74, and a 74 is the same as a 75, wouldn't you agree it's easier to refer to them all as XB's? If they had changes each year, sure, we would most likely refer to them that way.
Wrinkles

Why do...

Postby Dave_H » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:05 am

Subaru Australia call their cars by the "model year" Each MY is introduced between June - Oct. This is the only time that changes are made to the spec of hte cars or new models introduced. thus everyone who does a minor amount of research knows what the difference is between a MY98 to MY99 impreza.

Toyota use a combination of chassis model and engine model. Thus the K engine with the E series (corolla) chassis was the KE50 followed by the KE70. The A engined corolla was the AE71.

These 2 options make more sense to me.

BTW the first Holden was officially the 48-215 (the 48 was the year of release) someone called it the FX as a slang name and it just stuck. They then released the FJ instead of the 51-215.
Dave_H

Why do...

Postby allan » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:09 am

even the humble mustang had it ie 661/2 meant it was made in the second half of the year ok to the us but to aus wierd look at it this way gtho say a son had a 1970 gtho xy phase3 (just a triched up falcon)and the mother had a 98 el gli wagon(shopping hack for mom)and dad a 2002 ba xr6 (turboed 4lt twincam pavement stalker)they all are falcon's .a year model and make just isnt good enough

exuse me but can i have a grill for my 70 falcon, or a side mould for my 98 falcon wagon thats why we have the alfabet car's ea,ea2,eb,eb2,ed,ed2,ef,ef2,el,el2,au,au2,ba thats is the ford range from 1989 to present some of those cars ran for a couple of yrs and some diddnt as they were duds so ford ran a new model to help sale's .there are different models as stated in an other post here in aus when a model come's (say the ba falcon)out people will look at it and say cool but we want fries with that and the manufactuer will take that and may put it in the next model to sell more car's and appeal to more consumer's but when that model come's out it would be called (bc) tthat way the buyer think's that the model is better but all it's got is fries!!! hope you understand cause im lost now lolololol
goose replicas
allan

Next

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars