How Feral Kid came to be + Possible inspiration for MMBT

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

How Feral Kid came to be + Possible inspiration for MMBT

Postby Taipan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:33 am

Here's a radio interview given by Emil Minty (Feral Kid) just recently where he explains how he got the role of the kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi6evVC7XAk

What he says is brief but very interesting:

He was asked to come up with the backstory to his character and what he said - mind you as an 8 year old in 1981 - was this:

We were asked to come up with a story on how we thought we became The Feral Kid out in this Wasteland and, you know, my short story was we were flying with my parents in a plane. Landed, no fuel, dad went to find fuel (and) never came back. Mom went to find dad, never came back and I was left to fend for myself and ... well that's how it all began!"

Sounds familiar?

Also, plz note the fact Miller asked him to come up with his character's backstory, that's what he asked Vernon Wells too and he came up with Wez being a Vietnam veteran (and a whole lot of other stuff that isn't necessarily in line with Miller's idea for the character).
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Re: How Feral Kid came to be + Possible inspiration for MMBT

Postby TheWarriorMax » Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 pm

As I read your reminder note about being from an 8yr old I was expecting a funny/weird/ridiculous backstory from the crazy mind of a child, but it's actually totally reasonable.
TheWarriorMax

Postby Taipan » Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 pm

It is surprising to me because what he described there is essentially what happened to the whole tribe of kids in the Crack In The Earth.
I'm pretty sure Miller must've toyed with Emil's idea when he was working on something that wasn't MMBT yet, a script with a basic premise :
"What if kids left to grow up alone after the apocalypse wanted to come back to their parents home (nuked cities)". Someone said "Hey, this is a Mad Max movie!" and the rest is history.

I wouldn't go as far as crediting Emil Minty for the creation of MMBT, but I'm pretty freaking certain his idea stuck in Miller's head and that led to making Beyond Thunderdome. I know this idea sounds pretty far out there, but it's super interesting (at least to me).
Taipan

Postby Stamper » Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 am

Old news. This was even part of the script ideas I think.

We heard that BT recycled that central idea from MM2 since BT
Stamper

Postby Taipan » Sat May 23, 2015 12:39 am

Well, new news to me:) I didn't know that Emil Minty was essentially behind it all.
Taipan

Postby Stamper » Sat May 23, 2015 2:51 am

That wasn't him it was Terry Hayes idea. Is early idea is that the feral kid wasn't the only one in that plane that crashed.

They simplified it due to budget constraints.
Stamper

Postby Taipan » Sat May 23, 2015 4:07 am

Stamper wrote:That wasn't him it was Terry Hayes idea. Is early idea is that the feral kid wasn't the only one in that plane that crashed.

They simplified it due to budget constraints.

That's the first time I'm hearing this, please elaborate!
Taipan

Postby Stamper » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 am

There's bound to be something about it on the internet. MM3 is built on the rejected idea from MM2 about several feral kids.
Stamper

Return to General Movie Discussion