Explain the children in MMBT please.

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: Explain the children in MMBT please.

Postby rustycarr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 pm

It was part an era in movies at the time, Goonies, Return of Jedi (ewoks), Indiana Jones, Last Star fighter, ET, etc. Kids and toys was a major market in the 80's. I think Miller tried it( or was pushed in that direction) with Mad Max and we got Thunderdome.
V8
rustycarr

Postby Uncle Entity » Sun May 03, 2015 11:39 am

There's nothing to explain.
There was a "system" to overcome, not a villain. Aunty wasn't a villain at all. But her "system" was flawed. It was terrible, in truth.

Max just saved the guys (they are not ALL kids, you know) and accidentally destroyed Bartertown. Then, it became a race for survival. In the process, they also freed Master, who was the originator of Bartertown technology. In the very end, Max sacrificed himself for the gang... without even knowing THAT gang would create a better "civilization" than Aunty Entity.

The message of the movie is that: fate plays a big role in our lives and you can also save humanity without having a purpose or a plan. Like Max did.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Taipan » Sun May 03, 2015 11:51 am

decosabute wrote:Also wondering is there any interview/hard evidence to support the claims (seen on Imdb's trivia and on this forum) that Beyond Thunderdome was originally going to be a non-Mad Max film, and centred more around the lost kids?

There is a reference somewhere else on the forum to an interview with John Baxter, where he says the lost kids element was actually in an early draft of the Road Warrior script, which was then rehashed for the third film.

That might debunk my theory that Beyond Thunderdome partly grew out of a desire to adapt 'Riddley Walker' for the big screen, but I'm very curious to hear if anyone knows how it ties together?

Yes, there are interviews with the creators circa 1985 explaining how MMBT came about.
The original idea was 'what would happen if a tribe of lost kids returned to a nuked city'. Sounds pretty good, especially if you think how they would react to the things they'd see. Then someone mentioned that it sounds like a Mad Max movie so they threw Max in. That's LITERALLY what MMBT is and why it's so disjointed. If you want concrete evidence I can look through my collection and deliver.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Sun May 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Not much really to add, just wanted to point out that we saw one of those disappearing kids the act of disappearing.
Pregnant girl was Finn McCoo, who died when she was sucked into a airpocket in the sand.
(Remember the scene where all the kids were lined up hanging onto each other on the duner?)

The other kid was Gecko, (The kid with the radio strapped to his chest and the splint on his leg) He died just before they found Bartertown (In deleted Scene) from Blood poisoning from the infected injury on his leg.
"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby Uncle Entity » Mon May 04, 2015 4:40 am

Foxtrot X-Ray wrote:Pregnant girl was Finn McCoo

No. The "pregnant girl" was CUSHA. She was alive and well. You can see her in the truck's cockpit, together with Pig-Killer and Tubba.

Finn was the little kid playing with the gecko (I mean the lizard)... at the very beginning of the "Crack in the Earth" section of the movie.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby scfc68 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:17 am

Very easily - VOMIT!!!

Great vehicles and costume designs and fantastic cinematography wasted on a limp storyline with little action, hardly any real violence and criminally only one chase (my biggest gripe)
scfc68

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion