MAD MAX Collector's Edition Blu-ray!

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: MAD MAX Collector's Edition Blu-ray!

Postby henry2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:31 pm

Well if Amazon isn't mistaken, I should have this sucker next week at this time. :)
henry2

Postby MFP_1138 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:53 am

For those of you buying it, please give us a review to let us know if the disc is worth it. I'm no cheapskate by any stretch, but even though I am definitely a huge Max fan, I already have the last blu ray box set that came out and I can't see buying this for two interviews that will probably wind up on You Tube anyway. Personally, I look forward to the Escape From New York one more because the blu ray I have now is severely lacking in the extras department.
"He's in a coma, man. He loves it."
MFP_1138

Postby Uncle Entity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 am

My theory:

They scanned Mad Max 1 from telecine material, because negatives are lost (maybe). So: 2K. This is the best we can get.

They transferred Road Warrior and Thunderdome on HD from telecine material before 2007. So: 2K and gate weave problem.
Since Warner's policy has changed in 2007 or so, I guess they later re-scanned Road Warrior and Thunderdome from the original negatives (4k), for preservation/archive purposes. They are just commercially using the old masters because they don't wanna re-sample and "treat" the 4K masters, it's costly.

So the original Mad Max movies, especially 2 and 3, are well preserved and I can sleep again.

What do you think? I'm sure Warner's policy changed after 'The Road Warrior' was released on BD. Do you remember?
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby henry2 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Just received my copy a few hours ago. So far I watched the interviews which are very interesting.
henry2

Postby Stamper » Wed May 06, 2015 4:33 am

You're talking gibberish. A scan is like a telecine. You don't scan from telecine material. You scan from film material.

Telecine is filming with a camera something projected on screen. Nowadays, it doesn't exist anymore. You scan. From film material.
Stamper

Postby Uncle Entity » Wed May 06, 2015 4:39 am

Stamper wrote:You're talking gibberish. A scan is like a telecine. You don't scan from telecine material. You scan from film material.

Telecine is filming with a camera something projected on screen. Nowadays, it doesn't exist anymore. You scan. From film material.

By telecine. I mean. Interpositive.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby OzRedMonkey » Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 pm

henry2 wrote:Just received my copy a few hours ago. So far I watched the interviews which are very interesting.

So how's the movie itself? How does it compare in quality to the previous Blu-ray release?
OzRedMonkey

Postby DGSimo » Wed May 13, 2015 6:45 am

PSA for folks in the US: Best Buy is selling this for only $12.99 this week!
DGSimo

Postby Dog » Thu May 14, 2015 11:43 pm

DGSimo wrote:PSA for folks in the US: Best Buy is selling this for only $12.99 this week!

Right. Picked up a copy Saturday night, along with the blu of Road Warrior which was on sale for $7.99. Not bad.
Dog

Postby OzRedMonkey » Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 pm

Note that Amazon states this Blu-ray is region free, but it's actually region A.
OzRedMonkey

PreviousNext

Return to General Movie Discussion