getting the blower to spin...

Like the name says...

Postby nelson » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:40 am

Hi Guys. Now that I have my blower set up I am investigating ways to get the blower to rev in time with the engine but still be able to switch on/off. Does anyone know of a set up that works.
nelson

Postby Dave_H » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:26 am

One of the other replica builders has done this. (5.7 Inyerceptor?) I think from memory he has an AC clutch mounted on the right hand side (looking from the front). From the clutch, he then runs a normal skinny fan belt to the bottom pulley of the blower belt.

Hope that made sense... try madmaxcar.com. Last time I looked there was 2001 but he had it set up back then I'm sure.
Dave_H

Postby 5.7 Interceptor » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:52 am

Hey Nelson, Dave has answered the question for the most part but I'll fill ya in on a few other 'things to do'.

You'll have to remove the pistons from inside the A/C compressor, block off any remaining holes and then add some gear oil, make sure you also have some form of vent hole at the top of the compressor though.

I added a small "v" groove pulley in front of the idler pulley which has to line up with the another pulley I added to the front of the A/C comp. At first I had a small pulley on the A/C unit but the it was making the blower spin way too fast at idle.

A 6" pulley worked best on the A/C while a 3.5" worked best on the idler. I also have it set up so that if my A/C unit fails I can run a small belt from the idler to the wayer pump and thus keep the blower spinning.

Turning the A/C on/off is straight forward.. just run the wire from the unit to the switch on the shifter.

If ya need any more help please feel free to e-mail me directly via my web site www.madmaxcar.com

Cyas, Doug
5.7 Interceptor

Postby nelson » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:29 am

Thanks for the info Dave and Doug.
nelson

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars