Road Warrior Mack Truck

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Road Warrior Mack Truck

Postby Shadow94 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:49 am

Hi, one thing that's always made me wonder is what occurred before Max found the truck. Do you think the driver ran out of gas and then was found, or tried to flee and was chased down by the bandits? It's likely the driver wrote that phrase on his truck condemning them. Maybe it caught their attention?
Shadow94

Re: Road Warrior Mack Truck

Postby MWFV8 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:47 am

Personally I like to believe the truck and the wrecked cars passed in the opening chase are all part of a convoy who'd been attacked by the marauders previously. A few people believe the driver sprayed the message on the side but I prefer to think the marauders left it as a warning. In the screenplay it's described as having the tyres punctured with arrows, looted and the dead driver having suffered two crossbow bolts to the neck - which suggests to me it was attacked while mobile. The message isn't mentioned in the script.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Uncle Entity » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 am

"At last, Vermin inherited the Earth"

I'm not sure if "At last" is visible on screen.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Shadow94 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:14 pm

In the actual film the driver did in fact have two crossbow bolts in his neck. I always wondered who he was. He indirectly plays a key role by not only being the man who Max obtained the music box from but also the man who brought the truck to the wasteland.
Shadow94

Postby mahenoguy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 am

I've always thought the bloated truck guy played a pivotal role in letting us know what has happened to Max since wondering into the wasteland . The trucks trailer is full of household goods which I think suggest some sort of caravan , indicating he was probably not alone when attacked . Also there are children's toys strewn about the scene ( Plus the music box ) maybe suggesting it was a family ( or possibly a convoy , as the chase passes some wrecked cars a minute before coming upon the truck ) You can see an arrow sticking out of his neck as he hits the ground so I think his fate was rather obvious . I think the real reason we see him in the film is to let us know how un-effected Max is by the body , no empathy what so ever . Max seems un moved by his plight and even when he picks up the music box , he seems to relate it to his own loss rather than pondering why this man had held it so precious . Later when Max and the Gyro Captain go back to the scene , you can see his body still lying where it fell ( They don't even drag him off the road )letting us know that Death , corpses , tragedy and bad smells don't even get a second look in the wasteland . Others have agued that all these things are just production coincidences and were not meant to be noticed , but I disagree with that opinion . Kennedy / Miller had an eye for casual details and I feel with the larger budget they had to work with , not much in MM2 was meant to go un-noticed
mahenoguy

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 am

Yeah a good script goes some way to build character and establish the world they are living in. That whole scene makes a few things clear;

1) If you aren't fast enough or tough enough the Marauders will get you (wrecked cars and huge truck kill)
2) The Marauders don't go back for their own (dying buggy passenger).
3) The Marauders have no mercy for anybody (child's toys and family items).
4) Some of the Marauders are completely psychotic (Wez pulling out the arrow).
5) Some of the Marauders are using men for sex (Golden Child).
6) Fuel is absolutely critical to survival.
7) This is the middle of nowhere (distances sign)
8) There is no perceived salvation (Inherited Earth vandalism).
9) Max is struggling to hold on to his humanity.

It's an incredibly effective and efficient piece of film making, you know everything you need to know with no dialogue, you could lose the opening monologue voice over and still appreciate how dire things are. It's probably one of the reasons Mundi Mundi look out is so iconic to Mad Max fans.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby mahenoguy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 pm

I agree with you MWFV8 , It is a powerful and efficient piece of story telling . I also agree with your previous post that the message was scrawled by the Marauders , not the dying truck driver as it fits in with their style ( ie toadies humungus intro , and humungus' speech ) grandstanding seems to be part of the "Firestorm of Fear "they create . I think the scene also tells us that the Marauders are a Mob and have little courage when faced one on one . Wez seems quick to run when Max draws his shotgun ( ammo is obviously scarce , even before we learn Max's gun is empty ) . It was a very similar scene to the Toecutter Hissing at Max and riding off in the closing scenes of MM1, when he could have easily killed him.It shows the bad guys are quite cowardly without their gang , perhaps suggesting courage is what still separates Max from the rest of the scavengers .
mahenoguy

Postby Shadow94 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 am

I don't think the marauders wrote it for several reasons, which could be unintentional and maybe they did:

1. I don't think they'd refer to themselves as Vermin. I think they'd call themselves bandits or some other nickname.

2. The banner on the truck was put up for the sole purpose of proclaiming that (you can tell by how it's tied on) and has arrows sticking out of it, which suggests that it was put up before the marauders attacked.

I like your concept of a family travelling and I noticed a duck toy, a crib, and a dead kangaroo on the ground amongst the debris. However we don't see any family members, so either they were taken by the bandits or they were in the wreckages of the cars seen earlier. But I agree that it was a caravan.
Shadow94

Postby Shadow94 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:04 am

@mahenoguy

I always wondered the symbolism of that brief scene when Max drove the truck away and they showed the dead man lying by the trailer. I think they didn't drag him off the road because they didn't want to touch him. He was in pretty bad shape. I used to have a picture of the dummy that they used to represent him but I've since lost it.
Shadow94

Postby Shadow94 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:43 am

Actually I take the banner part back. The tarp used to cover the entire bed it seems but was probably ripped off by the marauders as they scavenged it. I brought the scene back up. It's still a mystery at least to me who wrote the message. You can see an arrow sticking out of the "H" in "Have" and that suggests to me that they did attack after it was written.
Shadow94

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion