Red XA "Wipeout" Coupe Replica

Like the name says...

Postby allan » Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:48 pm

gday all im doing all three bikes goose bubb and toe cutter well bubbas first will be sending pics to peter barton to post on madmaxmovies,com (and once again peter thanks for youre imput do you have a phone no that i can call on ???please email pete

regards allan
goose replicas
allan

Postby perana » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:58 pm

Have purchased 3/4 bodyshell of '73 hq ls monaro (trunk to firewall) already acid dipped by previous owner who then decided to sell it as a growing concern ...ie :too much rust in drvers side rear quarter / sill / floor for the grand sum of nz $300.... around $138 US or $255 Aus..........SPOT THE HAPPY MAN !!!!!!!!...

.About 3 weeks work to a rolling chassis
Hey Fella .....You're A Turkey .....You Know That
perana

Postby Anklecranker » Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:20 pm

I was dreaming about how to make those exhaust pipes coming from the Red Xa's bonnet functional.

Find some 351 marine headers, the kind used in boat applications. Remove the collectors and weld/shape straight pipes to the individual tubes.

Earplugs are optional. lol
Anklecranker

Postby MFP1 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:14 am

Wow, that would be a thunderbomb!! I have been thinking on how to make the carb pipes also functional......hard to say. but I am still looking.
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby Wrinkles » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:38 am

I can (vaguely) recall an advertisement from a magazine, (fair chance it was a hot rod mag) perhaps in the mid-to-late-80's. There was a company doing fake blower set-ups, as well as fake injection. I reckon the injection was styled along similar lines to the staggered pipe set-up made by either Crower or Milodon (not sure?), but I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to modify to make the pipes go 'straight up'. ...only thing would be finding one of the things! ..can't say I've ever seen one "in the flesh", let alone any for sale. This could give you the look you're after, without having to go to the expense of having an injected engine.

Anybody remember the fake injection?.. or know of any in existence?

Wrinkles

Postby Wrinkles » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:31 pm

.....found it! went through my magazine collection.. in "Supercar" (Aus) Aug-Sep '89, there's an advertisement and 'Shop tour' of "Al's Blower Drives" - Auckland, NZ. (don't know if they still exist) the product was called "Street Induction" - distributed through Garlits Performance Products. (as in Don, "Big Daddy").

"Identifiable and absolutely unmatched in quality, STREET INDUCTION is directed towards the serious rodder seeking the responsiveness of a four barrel engine while at the same time wishing to pursue a relatively inexpensive method of providing a 'full race' look to his street car. Bolts over and encloses a single 4BBL Holley carburetor. For years hot rodders have been trying to make a four barrel engine look good... now it couldn't look better!!"

The setup does appear to replicate "staggered" injection, but I wouldn't think it'd take too much work to get the look of the XA's striaght pipes.

Surely these things would turn up at swap meets.. they came from the era that gave us the out-to-change-the-world Predator carb ...probably being used as door stops now.

Wrinkles

Postby perana » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:39 am

just to provide confirmation of ABD 's continuing existence

contact details for Al's blower drives as follows :

Al's Blower Drives ,

Unit 1 ,42 Henderson Valley Rd , Henderson , Auckland , NZ

Phone Auckland (09) 837 - 0624

they still operate as a speed shop but unsure if they still sell injection cover ( will ring on monday to inquire )

Hey Fella .....You're A Turkey .....You Know That
perana

Previous

Return to Film Cars and Replica Cars