'78 Datsun 710

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

'78 Datsun 710

Postby Interdictor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:01 am

My 1978 Datsun 710 Truck.
Has a 2.8 from a Z-car in it, with a custom dual 4bbl intake.
Front suspension and rear axle are from a late model Pathfinder Kit. (not sure what Nissan called them across the pond, Terranos?) With a scratchbuilt radius arm rear suspension.
The truck was a stepside, so I chucked the fenders, and built my own "bed-sides".
Kept it all Datsun/Nissan, and again, realistic engineering. I also must admit to drawing a great deal of insperation from the ubiquitous third world gun platform seen the world over; the mini-truck.
Therefore this is one of the very few builds with an actual firearm.

Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Re: '78 Datsun 710

Postby Zarana-X » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:11 am

The truck looks fantastic! I like the utilty bed you built. I hate the step-side bed they made for these kits. Is the machine gun from a GI Joe or Star Wars figure?
You really need to sand down the seam on the tires, and weather them, though. Also, this is being nitpicky, those trucks have 6 lug wheels. 5 lugs could fly, but the only 4 lug truck I can think of is the Rabbit, and maybe Corona based trucks.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Postby Interdictor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks! I totally appreciate the compliments and the criticism. If someone finds fault with my work, it means they are really looking at it.
That's all any modeler can ask for!

The gun (i believe) was from a 1/24 scale Tank kit. The same one I sourced my "Max" figure from.

You are absolutely correct about the 4 lug wheels. I used them anyway because they really fit the vehicle style wise.
(and most people would never know they were wrong. Good eye!)
The rear tires have been worn in, I just haven't gotten to the fronts yet. They are real rubber, and require extre effort to sand convincingly. Also, I tend to work very haphazardly, often working on one build or another as inspiration grabs me. Sometimes I overlook things, some I just haven't gotten to yet.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby Zarana-X » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 am

I tend to jump around on builds, too.
After looking at the rest of your stuff, I think that gun may have came from the Kubelwagen.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Postby Interdictor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:52 am

I believe you are correct. I knew it was German.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby PacificMuscle » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:18 pm

The gun is, I believe, a German MG34.
Lingerie ... remember Lingerie ...

Pete
PacificMuscle

Postby the armourer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:35 pm

PacificMuscle wrote:The gun is, I believe, a German MG34.

It is a MG-34. You have it's pintle mount too far back on it. It needs to go forward just a little bit. You have it right at the junction of the receiver halves. Any maybe add something over top of the driver's position to deflect the muzzle blast. Firing it in it's present position would not be pleasant for anyone sitting there. Any maybe a spent cartridge catcher under the gun. This piece ejects straight down and getting hot brass down ones shirt collar really sucks. I'm not trying to rethink your creation. But I have many years experience working with firing 34's and MG-42's on vehicles from my WW2 reenacting days. ;)
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Postby Interdictor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:29 pm

No, by all means. I appreciate the input. Firearms are not my forte.
I will attempt to re-locate the mounting point to a correct location. (more foreward on the weapon, if I understand you correctly) now that I know what it is, I will try to look at some reference pics too.
Knowing it is wrong will just bug me now. LOL
I like the muzzle shield & brass catcher Ideas too, though, I doubt it has been fired in years.
All the ammo for it is long gone.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby the armourer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Interdictor wrote:No, by all means. I appreciate the input. Firearms are not my forte.
I will attempt to re-locate the mounting point to a correct location. (more foreward on the weapon, if I understand you correctly) now that I know what it is, I will try to look at some reference pics too.
Knowing it is wrong will just bug me now. LOL
I like the muzzle shield & brass catcher Ideas too, though, I doubt it has been fired in years.
All the ammo for it is long gone.

Just Google the MG-34 and you'll find loads of pics. There are two mounting points for the bipod, one near the muzzle and one just forward the receiver joint. You might also want to check out how they were mounted on the rear of the 251 Series halftrack for anti-aircraft use. It is an interesting little crane-type mount that allowed a lot of movement and flexibility. Instead of the bed mounted pedestal you have now, I could see the crane-type mount attached to the top of the windshield. This would move the whole gun forward and get the muzzle out in front of the passenger compartment. The mount is pretty simple and you could prob put one together with some leftover styrene sprue. We built the full-size versions with simple 1 1/2" tubing in no time.

Even without ammunition, the 34 is an impressive piece of machinist's art. the gun is built like a Swiss watch. I personally prefer the MG-42. Though manufactured from much cruder stamped metal, rivets, and welding, the 42 will keep running under horrendous conditions. The 34 was also a real bitch to get to run on blanks. The 42's adapt much easier.
"There are over 550 million smallarms in worldwide circulation. That's one weapon for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

"The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. Their operas last for 3 or 4 days and they have no word for 'fluffy'."
the armourer

Location: Up to my elbows in a '69 Dodge, getting ready for a wastelands run....

Postby aussie muscle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:58 pm

now that is cool. i like the small touches like the falling out turn indicator...
aussie muscle

Return to Models and Modelling