The '66 Chevelle Wagon

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

The '66 Chevelle Wagon

Postby Interdictor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 am

I have always felt the lifted pink DeSoto deserved more on screen time in MM2.

Having always been one of the few people that really like cars on truck frames, I have done several
over the years. This is one of my best efforts.

Given the lack of quality Aussie car kits, most all of my builds feature American subject material.
And the world I envision has similar events happening in America and Oz within the Mad Max universe.
As such, In the U.S., I picture a neo-wild west, where MM2 style compounds or "fortressed" towns are few and far between, but offer areas of influence, or, "oasis of law", in the wastelands.
Like an old west town, within it's radius of influence, there are those deputized and charged with "maintaining right".
(At least before things got really really bad. Ie; the years between MM2 & BTD. By the time the events of MM2 are happening, this society I imagine is rapidly degenerating as population numbers continue to plummet....)

Sometime between the events of MM1 and 2, a rather large area of civilization has managed to hold things somewhat together. Located right in the center of the ex-country, It is known as "The Omaha Territory".
A thriving barter economy is going. Meat, produce, even ethanol are readily available if you have the means.
Trade routes between smaller communities are established, and are patrolled and generally regarded as fairly safe, but pirates and scavengers abound, and many many gypsies and transients, pass through the area.

Deputies must provide their own vehicle, (vetted and licensed by the Territory Council) and their own means of defense.
The Council provides a (aluminum) badge, an official vehicle placard (to be displayed prominently) and a blue flashing light.

So, with that spectacular display of backstory, I present my "Deputized" 1966 Chevelle Wagon
I didn't go too overboard with rust/damage, the idea being that this was once a very clean show car, lifted before the great collapse, and minimally modified for wasteland use as the base vehicle was already very capable.
(also, this vehicle exists several years before the others in my little world, and has yet to really gain its wasteland patina.)
Many small details abound, the talegate is actually from a Toyota, and is fully operable, and both jerry cans are removable.
I also believe this is my best engine compartment to date. I am particularly proud of my "Ram-Air" design on this one.
The wheels are steerable, but the suspension in non-functional, the base frame and suspension being from a Fujimi kit.
I try to "real world engineer" all my vehicles, and create something that theoretically anyone of us (or any wastelander) could go build. 8-)

Last edited by Interdictor on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Re: The '66 Chevelle Wagon

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 am

Love this, and really like the thinking behind your backstory.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Chase Bansi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Form follows function. If there is a good reason for something to look a certain way, then it looks "right" like that.

No matter where you go, there you are MFP 5863
Chase Bansi

Postby Zarana-X » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:46 am

I'm really like the way you are building these with function in mind. Great work.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Postby Interdictor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks!
I'm available for Mad Max 5 if Dr. Miller gets tired of looking at Gigahorses. :lol:
Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Postby aussie muscle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00 pm

just the thing for the mayor to tour around in.
aussie muscle

Return to Models and Modelling