The Light Assault Vehicle

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

The Light Assault Vehicle

Postby Interdictor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Again I'm using Tamiya's 1966 Beetle pan and chassis as a base.
I also incorporated portions of Hasegawa's 1/24 Kubelwagen kit. (Though not nearly as much as you might initially think.)

The idea here is a little different. This vehicle was built or, more likely, was commissioned buy a municipality or small government back in the days shortly after the events of MM1. Right before the Pockyclipse.
Likely never put into service, it was discovered a few years later, and appropriated for wasteland use.
Though originally equipped with a Browning MG, it was retrofitted with a pneumatic dual dart gun. (using the exact same principal and parts as the MM2 ones, ie; diesel truck air brake solenoids and compressed air, stored in tanks.)

Other than the very base structure of the rear body/engine compartment, which was from the Kubelwagen, the body is entirely
scratchbuilt or assembled from spare parts. The dash is from a '60s era Honda S600, and the body structure/shape was based around this.
It also features staggered seating for the driver/gunner(s).
The dart guns were entirely scratch built. even the sights and crosshairs are bits of photo-etched brass scraps.
Only the air brake units were from an actual kit.
Again tons and tons of little details, many of which can't really be seen in these pics.
There is even a series of hidden levers i built into the bodywork:
when the engine hatch is open, a small rod/handle is pulled (visible just to the right of the "step here" sign on the left rear of the buggy) pulling this rod locks the engine cover door up/open.
(Gently) push the rod in again, and the hatch closes! You can clearly see the rod extended in the last pic. ;)

Back from the dead!
Interdictor

Re: The Light Assault Vehicle

Postby Zarana-X » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:37 am

Excellent. I like the split cage with the gunner access.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Return to Models and Modelling