iron cross buggy 1:64

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

iron cross buggy 1:64

Postby highfatalityroad » Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 pm

I used a dirt track racing champions diecast for this because the wheels were perfect on it. this is one of those short track racers that has the lopsidedly huge wheel/tire on the R side, at first I thought it was a mistake before I realized that's the way they are. anyway that made for a cool look to the R rear wheel once I fitted a normal size tire on that side.

the body was too narrow so I cut all of the top off of it and added a new roll bar made of coat hanger run through the body for stability and to get the right appearance, grill is paperclips cut to size, and a huge shoutout for the iron cross decal someone did (humvee driver?) and I got from the internet, I printed it to size on adhesive label paper and stuck it on the front panel and then glued that on the frame.

this one was a lot of fun to make.

highfatalityroad

Re: iron cross buggy 1:64

Postby aussie muscle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

it's nice to see someone tackle different cars in small scale. some of the bars look a bit rough, which you might want to sand and clean up (rather than just cutting them off, get some 100 grit wet & dry sandpaper and round them off). The left side bar A pillar (lhs bar going between roof and 'hood')looks a bit butchered (near the silver drum). overall though, quite recognizable.
aussie muscle

Postby Walker 2008 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 am

Nice work! You packed in a lot of detail for such a small scale.
Walker 2008

Postby highfatalityroad » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 am

thanks gentlemen

yeah this one used a lot of stuff/junk I had laying around the garage. who has tiny beer kegs in 1:64 scale? that is 2 pieces of pencil I cut and sanded and painted.

and as for sanding the ends of cut wire hangers, that's a nice idea but a bit much for me in this small scale, and I don't know that I have that kind of patience frankly. and yeah there's some superglue showing by the one tank but hey that's life. I was going for the rough wasteland look anyway, so it is what it is. the car is no more than 2" long. I tend to view these small cars from about 3 ft away and if they look alright from that distance that's about the best my big clumsy amateur hands can manage. these closeup photos show way more detail and screwups than you can see when the car is sitting on your desk for example.

it's hard to tell the first time, while you are working on it, how a new custom is going to come out and what effects will look best.
highfatalityroad

Return to Models and Modelling