Landau 1:64 project

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

Landau 1:64 project

Postby highfatalityroad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:48 pm

I decided to try a hotwheels-based Landau, and so far it's the most difficult project I've attempted.

starting with the closest car I could find, a 1971 Ford Torino. the C pillar and hood a slightly different but it's pretty close and from same family.
this diecast is a Hotwheels classic or something, one of the $6 models, and is very well-made. it's put together rather differently than your average dollar-bin hotwheels car. very detailed paint job, rubber wheels, and hard metal base. the base rivets were like steel, one I couldn't even drill out, it was so hard. a really nice diecast, almost a shame to butcher it. :)

but butcher it I did. the Dogs of War have to eat.

disassembled and stripped. the interior was two tone black and white, I painted it all black.

priming body and hood - I use ruddy brown primer so that later on if you want a distressed/desert dirt effect you can just dremel brush off some of the top paint and expose the "mud" color as wear and rust, etc. or not.

I had a hard time coming up with a way to do the rear wheel cage fender things, I went through several ideas all of which failed. this obstacle almost killed the project. finally I found some flexible wire fencing material in the garage that was about the right size to be able to fit in the diameter of the wheel well and sort of stay there in position to be able to glue it in. not perfect, and only 3 attachments to the body, but still, at this scale, this was a tough one.

this is where I glued in the cage fenders to the body with JB Kwik, I used tape to set them until the JB hardened up; and I left the sprues long so to make for better contact and adhesion to the body during the curing process.

trimmed off the inner sprues, or as much of them as I could without ripping the cages off. I had to re-glue two of the connections when I trimmed too closed and popped them loose. also trimmed the outer edges of the cages to smooth them down.

now I had to trim up the base to fit the modded body with the wheel cages, this was much easier than I expected, and it fits up nicely.

into the paint booth - I did the landau roof section first in flat black, and once that dried I taped that off and am painting the body gloss black, so that there is a clear landau roof effect with the flat paint.

one of my challenges is keeping cost down, so I scavenge around the house for parts that look semi-authentic. for the crazy turbos that stick up out of the hood on the Landau, I trimmed down and painted a couple of semi-truck exhaust stacks I had laying around, and used some flex wire that I primed and painted silver which will be the intake pipes that go into the hood. I'll fit the wire into the holes I drilled in the hood and glue the "turbos" on after that. I'm hoping to still be able to open the hood but not sure yet.

that's it for now, have to let the paint dry and cure for a bit. more in a few days when I get back to it.
highfatalityroad

Re: Landau 1:64 project

Postby Zarana-X » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:26 pm

$6 for a small Hot Wheels :o , Most I've seen is the $5 ones. Shame they havn't made any more Falcons, I got one yellow, and one blue. Havn't seen any since, which is odd, cause the usually put out two repaints a year on a new model.
"In order to create, you have to destroy"
https://www.facebook.com/ZaranaX
http://wastelandweekend.com/
Zarana-X

Postby toecutter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:44 pm

There is also a red, green (DME exclusive), bronze and the latest - purple.

The Landau shares a body with the XA_B_C Falcon coupe, with an LTD front clip, vinyl roof and different taillights, trim and interior.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby highfatalityroad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 pm

highfatalityroad

Postby highfatalityroad » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm

I finished it today. I went for the distressed desert beater finish, like the movie car has.

the blue in the pics of the interior is just sun glare, those seats are black.

the back wheels are rubber dualies, I just glued on the front ones to the back ones, and added hotwheels wheels for the front, they fit just right. rolls freely, which is a plus.

the skull and crossbones on the doors came out way better than it had a right to. I came up with a minimalist paint method for that, which worked out really well.

this one was a lot of work. lots of little parts to fit up and paint, and a lot of process order, making sure you prep and add every part in the right order so you don't mess something up. and those fender-cage things, what a hassle! but now that it's done, damn, I like it.

highfatalityroad

Postby jakejoke32 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am

very nice replica in 1:64 of the landua. you have some good skills
jakejoke32

Return to Models and Modelling