front-end for 1:64 Interceptor

Vehicle models, character models, commercial kits, custom kits, and so on.

front-end for 1:64 Interceptor

Postby highfatalityroad » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 pm

anyone know of a solution for the front-end bumper/cap for the black Mad Max Interceptor hotwheels Falcon?

anyone make a mold or kit?

or are there other cars made that can be cannibalized?

thanks - appreciate any help!
highfatalityroad

Re: front-end for 1:64 Interceptor

Postby toecutter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 pm

I dont mean to sound unkind, but its a fairly simple shape - mix some greenstuf up and have at it. Any competent scale modeller could produce one in about an hour. :mrgreen:
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Postby highfatalityroad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:04 am

toecutter wrote:I dont mean to sound unkind

of course you do.

you're one of these internet tough guys that needs to feel big by running around shitting on everyone else.

I don't mean to call you a Jackoff, but hey.

see, I said didn't mean to. :mrgreen:

toecutter wrote:but its a fairly simple shape - mix some greenstuf up and have at it. Any competent scale modeller could produce one in about an hour.

hmmm. all the ones I've seen using putty or whatever goop some use, look like crap, like something a 2nd grader would make.

fairly simple huh? OK Mr Fairly Simple, since you are so competent at scale modeling that you can talk shit to me and try to embarrass me when I ask the board a question, let's see your 1:64 models you've done with putty. show me this fairly simple shape that you've done on your 1:64 Interceptors. I'll check in an hour, you should be done then.
highfatalityroad

Postby toecutter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:52 pm

maybe if you jacked off you would be less stressed.
toecutter

Postby ramfett » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Lol...take it easy highfatalityroad!

What I think toecutter meant is that you really are best off scratchbuilding your own nose for a 1/64th interceptor. And I believe he'd be correct in saying that. If you're not the most experienced modeller, It might require learning some new skills and techniques, which is not always easy to do. Still, why not admit that and learn something instead of going off the deep end?

I do think an hour's worth of work is definitely short of what somebody should expect, competent or not. Putty can produce excellent results if you are patient, careful and take your time with it. When it's soft, you're mostly going for a good basic shape. Once cured, it can be refined with carving, dremeling, filing, filling and sanding to a respectable finished product. And if you don't like putty, the same rules apply for working with styrene pieces glued together. PM me if you need any advice on it.
ramfett

Postby otherunicorn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Something people using putty seem to forget on occasion - to use a file afterwards!

Seriously, you use more putty than needed, then file it back to shape. If it isn't right, you add more putty and try again.
otherunicorn

Postby highfatalityroad » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 pm

the guy has dogged me in a couple posts, not just this one. I'm not one to overreact but when I'm bullied and talked down to I'll give back as good as I got.

anyway, the challenge I have with putty is, when do you put it on? I'm separating cars into chassis and body, spray painting the body, and then reassembling with many fine mods to the wheels, axles, interior, etc, but if putty goes on afterward, then you'd have to paint it with a brush which from my experiences and my ability always looks amateurish compared to a nice clean spray job. plus the putty would be on both the body and chassis making it a sealed model that can never be reopened (which would be ok if you knew it would look clean). so I'm struggling with how to do that and make it look good.

I guess it is trial and error like everything else.

I'm willing to call a truce here with toecutter if he is. he's the one who started it.
but again, I'm not going to be bullied and I will stick up for myself if someone harasses me.
which is the whole point of MM and RW anyway.
highfatalityroad

Postby toecutter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:51 am

well lets be honest here highfatalityroad - i said people who bought the jl scam mfp cars on ebay were idiots - and you chucked a childlike tantrum, following my posts on thread after thread with insults. The evidence is there mate. I invite anyone to look at it.

Dont worry - you have been added to my 'foes' list - so i dont have to read your childish rantings any more.

Nice to see you surrendered though :mrgreen:
toecutter

Postby toecutter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:17 am

Anyway....

For diecast customising i recommend greenstuf putty. Its easy to mix, and you have a little bit of time up your hand to mould it.

I like to completely paint strip my diecasts - i use 3m automotive paint stripper. usually only one application is required. Starting from bare metal will give a better finish than a diecast that has had the paint sanded off. Its also quicker.

In 1:64 its better to attach putty to your diecast and then carve afterwards. identify the area you want to build up and scratch up the surface of that area with a flat needle file or emery board.

Tear or cut off equal quantities of blue and yellow greenstuf and start mixing.

Roughly shape it in your fingers . Put on more putty than you need, it comes off pretty easily. When applying putty in 1:64 i use screwdriver and dip the head in warm water. that seems to stop the putty sticking to the screwdriver (dont use a phillips head). i also use fingers.

Let the putty dry for at least three or four days. I have started carving the morning after and it can be done, but the greenstuf is too soft for filing. So i prefer to wait a few days.

Carve the excess greenstuf off with a very sharp knife, pref a scalpel or exacto. Be real careful - 'shave' rather than carve. In 1:64 you dont have a lot of room and a slip can hurt. In a larger scale, say 1:18 id use a dremel as well for filing away greenstuf.

Then file. I use needle files and emery boards (that sheilas use for their nails). i buy them at the same time as i get the nail polish remover (to strip tampo printing) and clear nail polish (for scratch removal on windows) so the salesgirls probably think i'm a crossdresser, but whatever...

if you screw up - dont worry. mix up some more greenstuf and press it on to the existing putty. wait a few days and have at it again.

When you get to the final sand of the raw shape, and no more filing or carving is required - i like to prime the diecast shell. You will then see any mistakes that need correcting or deep scratches (that you sometimes may have caused with a slip). Its better to sand and prime again until the surface is smooth than fill a scratch with greenstuf (imho for this scale).

When you are happy with the shape, get a steel ruler and dental instruments and scribe in panel lines.

Continue with the rest of your model (i wont go into painting and assembly...) :D
toecutter

Postby toecutter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:45 am

Small correction to prev post - im using Kneadatite - which is a two part blue yellow putty, which when mixed becomes green. Everything else still applies.
toecutter

Return to Models and Modelling